MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Languages 10pauljuli First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-12-2010 08:49 PM
Programming Languages used in first year Comp Sci philwood First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 11-24-2009 10:09 PM
Programming languages in Engineering? kanishka Academics 32 08-20-2009 08:27 PM

Learning several programming languages at once

Old 06-08-2011 at 07:02 PM   #1
RankNullity

Liked: 27 Times

Learning several programming languages at once
So for first semester, I'm considering taking Comp Sci 1MD3, Physics 2G03, and Math 3Q03. In the first I'm learning Java, the second I'm learning Fortran and the third I'm learning Matlab. I have no experience with programming at all. Is it reasonable and doable to learn all three at once and still do well? Or will I die?
Old 06-08-2011 at 07:13 PM   #2
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

It's possible (over the year) but if you're very into programming, I suggest you switch to Computer Science.
Old 06-08-2011 at 07:41 PM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Learn the basics of programming in the summer, like what is a boolean, and if/else statement(s) and etc. Also you can learn the basics of Java online if you'd like, PM me for links.
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:47 PM   #4
RankNullity

Alright ya I guess I could do that over the summer. But would you suggest I take all three classes in one semester then?
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:51 PM   #5
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RankNullity View Post
Alright ya I guess I could do that over the summer. But would you suggest I take all three classes in one semester then?
If you like Programming (like a lot), then you should switch into Computer Science.

What kind of career do you want to pursue ?
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:56 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
So for first semester, I'm considering taking Comp Sci 1MD3, Physics 2G03, and Math 3Q03. In the first I'm learning Java, the second I'm learning Fortran and the third I'm learning Matlab. I have no experience with programming at all. Is it reasonable and doable to learn all three at once and still do well? Or will I die?
You're gonna get destroyed if you have no background and try to do that all at once. I'm sure the stuff they'll be doing is verrry simple, but make sure that the math course doesn't have assumed MATLAB experience, since its unlikely there won't be any...

Like that other person said, learn the basics of programming structure!
Old 06-08-2011 at 10:15 PM   #7
RankNullity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
If you like Programming (like a lot), then you should switch into Computer Science.

What kind of career do you want to pursue ?
Well it's far too late for me to switch into computer science. I really like math, but I just wanted to take some programming classes so I can put some skills on my resume. I also just think learning some programming will be very useful to know
Old 06-08-2011 at 10:26 PM   #8
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Start with one programming language and design something extensively with it.

From there the only challenge when going to other languages should be syntax although each language will have small key differences.
Old 06-08-2011 at 10:44 PM   #9
RankNullity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post
Start with one programming language and design something extensively with it.

From there the only challenge when going to other languages should be syntax although each language will have small key differences.
Haha ya maybe ill just stick with matlab and comp sci 1md3. It's just if I take physics 2G03 next year it might conflict with something else but whatever.
Old 06-08-2011 at 11:26 PM   #10
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

comp sci 1md3 is fairly easy to learn and gives the basic in programming in java. PHYS 2G03 teaches FORTRAN 90 which has similar syntax to java (similar but still different). Both courses assume little to no programming experience. (however PHYS 2G03 goes slightly quicker and there is a project at the end where you have to create a program from scratch that could be used in a research environment) . I did a program that showed a vector field of an electric field caused by multiple charges (doesn't have to be that complex).

I have no experience with the math course but I do know it is more of proof by programming then purely learning programming. I would stick away from this course unless you really want a challenge
Old 06-08-2011 at 11:32 PM   #11
RankNullity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
comp sci 1md3 is fairly easy to learn and gives the basic in programming in java. PHYS 2G03 teaches FORTRAN 90 which has similar syntax to java (similar but still different). Both courses assume little to no programming experience. (however PHYS 2G03 goes slightly quicker and there is a project at the end where you have to create a program from scratch that could be used in a research environment) . I did a program that showed a vector field of an electric field caused by multiple charges (doesn't have to be that complex).

I have no experience with the math course but I do know it is more of proof by programming then purely learning programming. I would stick away from this course unless you really want a challenge
Ahh I see. Thanks for the help. I don't really want to take math 3Q03, it's just that it is one of several courses they recommend for students in co-op to take prior to their first work therm. Also I think that knowing Matlab is pretty useful for landing a job.
Old 06-09-2011 at 12:26 AM   #12
Icecream
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post
Not really, some programming languages are object oriented some aren't. There's a difference between the paradigms in each language (functional, imperative..)
Old 06-09-2011 at 09:23 AM   #13
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Ahh I see. Thanks for the help. I don't really want to take math 3Q03, it's just that it is one of several courses they recommend for students in co-op to take prior to their first work therm. Also I think that knowing Matlab is pretty useful for landing a job.
3Q used to be called 'Numerical interpolation and approximation theory' before they changed the name to the rather more vague 'Numerical explorations'.

In it, you would learn the basics of the discipline of numerical analysis. The motivation for numerical analysis (stated in one way among many) is that the majority of continuous mathematical problems are not solvable by finite algorithms. So numerical analysis serves as a theory of approximation - for example, how a particular function can be approximated by other functions. You're probably already familiar with 2 such decompositions (which can actually do away with approximation) - Taylor series and Fourier series.

You'll probably focus on numerically integrating and differentiating - I would say more about this, but I don't really know much more than this, haha. Applied math isn't my thing at all. If you're interested in applied math, then you should find it pretty interesting - Kevlahan teaches 3Q, and he seems pretty good. It'll probably be really useful for co-op as well.

Also, the MATLAB syntax is intuitive - it's pretty much standard mathematical syntax. Since you're in math, you'll be able to figure it out in no time.

Last edited by Mahratta : 06-09-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-09-2011 at 09:39 AM   #14
SydWishes
Account Locked

Liked: Liked 2 Times

why are you taking all these courses? do you absolutely need them? if not common sense and bad experiences should prevail....why make life hard?
Old 06-09-2011 at 09:43 AM   #15
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydWishes View Post
why are you taking all these courses? do you absolutely need them? if not common sense and bad experiences should prevail....why make life hard?
They're probably easier than 3rd-year math electives...

Anyway, he needs at least one of them (the only 'hard' one) for co-op.