MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Languages as Electives - Help! anumeet Academics 12 06-23-2010 01:40 PM
Programming Languages used in first year Comp Sci philwood First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 11-24-2009 10:09 PM
Programming languages in Engineering? kanishka Academics 32 08-20-2009 08:27 PM
Taking Similar Languages feonateresa Academics 8 07-01-2009 01:16 PM

Languages

Old 06-12-2010 at 10:40 AM   #1
10pauljuli

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Languages
Hello! Has anyone taken the first year spanish courses? I am trying to decide if I should take french or spanish. I have seen the reviews for the french courses and people seem to really like them, but I couldn't find anything for spanish. Do you like the professors? Thanks a bunch!
Old 06-12-2010 at 02:17 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10pauljuli View Post
Hello! Has anyone taken the first year spanish courses? I am trying to decide if I should take french or spanish. I have seen the reviews for the french courses and people seem to really like them, but I couldn't find anything for spanish. Do you like the professors? Thanks a bunch!
Do you mean the beginner courses for French and Spanish?
I know someone who took the Beginner's French course with just garde 9 french. She said it was easy, but you still need practice with grammar and such. Also, it's a full-year course, same with spanish, so it requires a decent amount of work throughout the year.
Old 06-12-2010 at 02:33 PM   #3
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Which one are you looking at taking? I took Spanish 1A03 and 1AA3, but not 1Z06.
Old 06-12-2010 at 02:49 PM   #4
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

I took Spanish 1Z06 in first year with Dr. Velasquez but he isn't teaching at Mac anymore. :\ I found it easy because my first language has Spanish influences (Tagalog). The course was a bit work heavy since we had several small quizzes, a couple of compositions, dictation tests (prof would read a selection in Spanish and we had to write it with proper accents etc.) and a midterm in December during finals week and a final in April. I'm not sure if the course structure is the same with different profs though.
Old 06-12-2010 at 08:23 PM   #5
10pauljuli

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Which one are you looking at taking? I took Spanish 1A03 and 1AA3, but not 1Z06.
I guess I should have specified, sorry. If I took Spanish, I would take 1A03 and 1AA3. However, if I took French, I would have to take the 1Z06 because I haven't taken French since grade 9.
Old 06-12-2010 at 08:49 PM   #6
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
I guess I should have specified, sorry. If I took Spanish, I would take 1A03 and 1AA3. However, if I took French, I would have to take the 1Z06 because I haven't taken French since grade 9.
Spanish 1A03 and 1AA3, at least year with Dr Pontrelli, were pretty decent. Apparently Minelli is teaching it this year though, so I cant tell much about the prof.

1A03 was pretty much review of basic verb tenses I'd learned before, from present to perfect/pluperfect. 1AA3 was almost entirely subjunctive, and all the verb tenses of it, plus conditional and future perfect. And of course both courses have vocab to learn for each unit. There were, I think, 5 units each term.

Each had 4 compositions, all short, but marked pretty tough. Every accent, spelling or grammar mistake counted as a half mark, so they add up quick. Make sure you proofread them well, as each is worth 5% of your mark. The exams aren't too difficult, provided you keep up with the class work, and do a few hours review a couple times before them. They were mostly fill in the blank or short answer, with some english to spanish translations thrown in, using vocab from the textbook. Again, half a mark deducted for each grammatical mistake in the translations and short answers

Again, that was all with Pontrelli, so it may not be the same this year. Hopefully someone has had Minelli, and can tell you what they're like.

10pauljuli says thanks to reeves for this post.