MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Languages 10pauljuli First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-12-2010 08:49 PM
Programming Languages used in first year Comp Sci philwood First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 11-24-2009 10:09 PM
Programming languages in Engineering? kanishka Academics 32 08-20-2009 08:27 PM
Taking Similar Languages feonateresa Academics 8 07-01-2009 01:16 PM

Languages as Electives - Help!

Old 06-22-2010 at 10:22 PM   #1
anumeet

Liked: 0 Times

Languages as Electives - Help!
Hey everyone, I'm choosing my electives for next year (my first year!) ... and my major decision is between French 1A06 and Latin 1Z03 (I know there are differences in the units, I'll take psych also if I choose Latin).

I know language courses are generally harder, is it worth taking these classes? I'm definitely interested, though. Which electives would you recomend?
Old 06-22-2010 at 11:21 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

I would disagree with that. I took German 1Z06 in first year, and it was one of the easiest classes I've ever taken in university.

I would say go for it if you're interested. No point in taking something just because it's easy :p.

anumeet likes this.
Old 06-23-2010 at 12:11 AM   #3
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Latin is certainly an interesting course, but it is really quite different than any other language course (with the exceptions being Ancient Greek, Ancient Hebrew, and Sanskrit, as these are all languages that exist only in writing)

Whereas in a French class the emphasis is on becoming a speaker of French, and thus being able to understand conversational French, Latin focuses entirely upon grammar; I took French to Gr12, and I learned more about the structure of language in one semester of Latin than I did in four years of high school French.

Also, the course is extremely fast-paced. By the end of second semester, you are expected to be able to read fairly complicated passages from ancient authors. I believe we read Caesar's "On the Civil War" at the end of first semester.

That being said, if you can keep up with the 2 hours+ of homework after each class, the course is so well-taught and designed that you become familiar with the Latin language pretty quickly.

Of course, this all depends on how much you enjoy language, and whether translation is a task that seems daunting to you. In the end, though, you have a Classics professor as your teacher, and they are generally a hilarious and immensely intelligent bunch.

Last edited by Shmowen : 06-23-2010 at 12:19 AM.

anumeet likes this.
Old 06-23-2010 at 05:18 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Although I've taken neither, you may want to think about practicality: you can use your French elective on your resume...your Latin class...not so much.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

anumeet likes this.
Old 06-23-2010 at 11:12 AM   #5
Raeann89

Liked: 4 Times

Then again, if you know Latin, the other Romance-based languages become incredibly easy to pick up as they are all descendants of it. Putting Latin on a resume actually does increase your marketability as well, as you can guess that not many people can boast that knowledge. To study Latin it takes a lot of dedication and it differentiates you from people who have typical things on their resumes.

anumeet likes this.
Old 06-23-2010 at 11:22 AM   #6
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Although I've taken neither, you may want to think about practicality: you can use your French elective on your resume...your Latin class...not so much.
Unless one was going to minor in French, one or two semesters of French doesn't really say much.
Old 06-23-2010 at 12:38 PM   #7
hellonewyork

Liked: 27 Times

Also you may want to think about how hard it is to get into the class... Language classes, and especially French, is usually filled up pretty quickly

anumeet likes this.
Old 06-23-2010 at 12:46 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmowen View Post
Whereas in a French class the emphasis is on becoming a speaker of French, and thus being able to understand conversational French, Latin focuses entirely upon grammar; I took French to Gr12, and I learned more about the structure of language in one semester of Latin than I did in four years of high school French.
By structure of language, do you mean it helps you understand all languages better? Would it make learning French/German/Russian easier? Increase english vocabulary?
Old 06-23-2010 at 01:13 PM   #9
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
By structure of language, do you mean it helps you understand all languages better? Would it make learning French/German/Russian easier? Increase english vocabulary?
You can learn about language structure from studying foreign languages, but plenty of folks have already done so and put that knowledge together in phonetics, phonology, morphology, and syntax (a part of linguistics).

So, if you want to study the structure of languages, you'd probably be better off taking a linguistics course

Old 06-23-2010 at 01:25 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Unless one was going to minor in French, one or two semesters of French doesn't really say much.
True, but once you have the basics you don't necessarily need a class to study. And there are tons of other ways to gain more competency of a language outside the classroom.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-23-2010 at 01:38 PM   #11
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
It certainly does help, especially with French, German, and Russian (as these are all Indo-European languages, and German and Russian are even inflected like Latin) It also helps a lot with English vocabulary - about every other verb, noun, or phrase you learn in Latin has been adopted by English. Also, by being a grammatically-oriented class, first-year Latin really helps to clarify phrase and sentence ambiguities in English (ie, the difference between "who" and "whom", recursion and participles in sentences, etc. [AND the origin of the phrase "etc" ---> "et cetera" = "and the rest"] )

In short, there's a lot of linguistic terms and concepts that you learn from Latin that are transferable to other languages. (This is also the case for Ancient Greek)

As Mahratta said, linguistics classes, in addition to analyzing extra-grammatical phenomena, study with greater depth the rules of language structure, including those of both non-Indo-European and Indo-European languages.
Old 06-23-2010 at 01:39 PM   #12
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
True, but once you have the basics you don't necessarily need a class to study. And there are tons of other ways to gain more competency of a language outside the classroom.
Ah, I see what you mean - my mistake. I definitely agree with you in that sense.
Old 06-23-2010 at 01:40 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Ah, I see what you mean - my mistake. I definitely agree with you in that sense.
No worries, I was replying quickly and not explaining myself that well.