MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Computer Science from College Computer Technology steve2345 Academics 3 10-17-2010 07:20 PM
Computer HELP? blackdragon Computers & Tech 20 07-10-2010 09:36 PM
Need computer help! kokosas General Discussion 16 08-01-2008 08:14 AM

Computer RAM??

Old 02-14-2013 at 11:15 PM   #1
gallagaj

Liked: 19 Times

Computer RAM??
I've been trying to install a very important program on my computer but it told me I do not have enough memory. I tried deleting other programs off my computer but it did not help. Someone mentioned to me that memory is Ram and I could just buy more ram.
I am not very good with computers. Can anyone tell me what RAM is? and if/how I can go about getting more of it? Is it even worth it to buy more ram or would I be better off buying a new computer?
Somebody help please I need to get this program installed as soon as possible.

Entropy, Grover like this.
Old 02-14-2013 at 11:27 PM   #2
ofomkcidtae
Account Locked

Liked: 47 Times

RAM stands for Random Access Memory. It is used by your computer to quickly read/write data for a program being executed.

Perhaps you can elaborate on what program your trying to install, and what is the exact error.

Last edited by ofomkcidtae : 02-14-2013 at 11:36 PM.

gallagaj says thanks to ofomkcidtae for this post.

gallagaj likes this.
Old 02-15-2013 at 09:00 AM   #3
unsigned_int

Liked: 3 Times

If I may I would offer this analogy:

RAM is to a computer what a notepad/scratchpad is to a human.

My guess is that the way the program was written, the computer wants to store many values on its 'scratchpad' and finds that you do not have enough space for it to execute the instructions it wants to.

Buying RAM is likely cheaper than buying a new computer. I would say RAM upgrades are fairly common. There are slots on the main circuit board of a typical computer that accepts RAM. You can either place new RAM in an empty slot, or if there are no empty slots you can replace the old RAM chip(s) for new and better ones.

Beware though that you will have to check for compatibility. There are specifications that dictate what RAM will work with each computer.

gallagaj says thanks to unsigned_int for this post.

gallagaj likes this.
Old 02-15-2013 at 09:46 AM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

RAM is really easy to install and is relatively cheap. If you have any semi tech savvy friends, or visit a store like Canada Computers, they should be able to help you quickly
Old 02-15-2013 at 10:07 AM   #5
Porsche911

Liked: 7 Times

What program is it? What are the system requirements in terms of RAM (memory) and available hard drive space needed (this should be in GB)? I'm not entirely convinced by your post that RAM is the problem. Do you know the specs of your computer (hard drive capacity and RAM are all that you'd need for this)?

As far as what RAM is, I like to think of RAM as short term memory and your hard drive as long term memory. The thing is, the more RAM you have, the more programs you can run simultaneously/run bigger programs. Hard drive capacity generally has no affect on performance.
Old 02-15-2013 at 11:57 AM   #6
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

I agree with Porsche, list out the specs of ur pc and the name of the software ur trying to install. Buying a new RAM is far more cheaper than buying a new computer.

Most programs would run with a min a 2 GB of ram, and most laptops/desktops now days come with a min of 4GB.

In addition do u have a desktop (the regular tower and monitor setup) or a laptop? If u have a desktop, the RAM is quite cheap and extremely easy to install, if its a laptop it may require a bit more caution.

gallagaj likes this.
Old 02-15-2013 at 12:01 PM   #7
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Lol you people are telling her to list the specs of her computer? <_<

Ash, what make/model is your computer/laptop?

gallagaj likes this.
Old 02-15-2013 at 09:32 PM   #8
gallagaj

Its a tower computer and its fairly old - i think about 5 years but works perfect. It says it has 250mb but the program (Quickbooks Pro with Payroll) required 1GB minimum. Its got windows xp on it (not sure if that makes a difference).
Old 02-15-2013 at 09:47 PM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagaj View Post
Its a tower computer and its fairly old - i think about 5 years but works perfect. It says it has 250mb but the program (Quickbooks Pro with Payroll) required 1GB minimum. Its got windows xp on it (not sure if that makes a difference).
You can download and run a safe and good program to use such as CCleaner/Speccy to see how much RAM and so on your computer has briefly.
Old 02-15-2013 at 09:50 PM   #10
gallagaj

Someone else just told me to go to control panel and then click system to see how much I have. When i do this it did verify that I do not have enough for the Program. So should I just buy more, or would it be better to buy a new computer? Not sure of the prices of either. Also, if I do buy more ram is it something I can do myself or would I have to hire someone to install it. Im so confused.
Old 02-15-2013 at 09:52 PM   #11
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Ohhh boy 250mb...Yep time to upgrade for sure. I have a feeling it has way more than that though. My dads 10 year old sony desktop came stock with 512mb. Give us your exact computer model if you can. Upgrading Ram is not as simple as going out to some random electronics store and choosing what you want. You need to know what type of Ram it is and the max amount your motherboard can support.
Old 02-15-2013 at 09:56 PM   #12
qwerty91
Elite Member

Quote:
Someone else just told me to go to control panel and then click system to see how much I have. When i do this it did verify that I do not have enough for the Program. So should I just buy more, or would it be better to buy a new computer? Not sure of the prices of either. Also, if I do buy more ram is it something I can do myself or would I have to hire someone to install it. Im so confused.
New computer will put you back $500 approx or more if you want performance. (I typically get in the $1200 range). New Ram will put you back between $10 and $60 depending on how much and the type of Ram you need. I recently upgraded from 4gb to 8gb (buying all 8gb in 2*4gb sticks) for about $30. Its cheap and takes about 10 minutes to install. Maybe half an hour if you have absolutely no idea what you are doing and 10 seconds if your have done it a few times.

gallagaj says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.

gallagaj likes this.
Old 02-15-2013 at 10:20 PM   #13
gallagaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
Ohhh boy 250mb...Yep time to upgrade for sure. I have a feeling it has way more than that though. My dads 10 year old sony desktop came stock with 512mb. Give us your exact computer model if you can. Upgrading Ram is not as simple as going out to some random electronics store and choosing what you want. You need to know what type of Ram it is and the max amount your motherboard can support.
Its a compaq presario and i found a sticker that says:
3100+ processor
512 mb pc2100 ddr sd ram memory

not sure what that all means...?
Old 02-15-2013 at 10:21 PM   #14
gallagaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
New computer will put you back $500 approx or more if you want performance. (I typically get in the $1200 range). New Ram will put you back between $10 and $60 depending on how much and the type of Ram you need. I recently upgraded from 4gb to 8gb (buying all 8gb in 2*4gb sticks) for about $30. Its cheap and takes about 10 minutes to install. Maybe half an hour if you have absolutely no idea what you are doing and 10 seconds if your have done it a few times.

I guess ill be buying more ram. Now hopefully i go to a computer store with someone very helpful who can make sure that I buy the right one for my computer!
Old 02-15-2013 at 10:37 PM   #15
qwerty91
Elite Member

Quote:
I guess ill be buying more ram. Now hopefully i go to a computer store with someone very helpful who can make sure that I buy the right one for my computer!
I recommend going to canada computers on Dundurn. They have the type of Ram you are looking for at approx $20 for 1GB.

http://www.canadacomputers.c om/sea...24.99+%2820%29

The key info is DDR SDRAM which tells them the type that will fit into your computer.

gallagaj says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.

gallagaj likes this.