MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Computer Science from College Computer Technology steve2345 Academics 3 10-17-2010 07:20 PM
Computer Science Sidd Academics 1 08-02-2010 01:04 PM
Computer Science Co-op julianface Academics 22 04-16-2010 05:35 PM
Computer Science dondada Academics 2 07-07-2008 01:20 PM

Computer Science - C++ or Java

Old 05-08-2012 at 01:55 PM   #1
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

Computer Science - C++ or Java
Just wondering whether there is an introductory C++ or Java course in the 1st year. Although my major is math/stat, I'd like to take it as an elective (if it is there).
Old 05-08-2012 at 02:05 PM   #2
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

The only introduction to programming course offered is Comp Sci 1MD3. I believe this course once focused on Java but has now switched to Python.

Alexmahone says thanks to Moghue for this post.
Old 05-08-2012 at 02:06 PM   #3
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moghue View Post
The only introduction to programming course offered is Comp Sci 1MD3. I believe this course once focused on Java but has now switched to Python.
So if I took this course, I'd have to work with Python in the lab?

Edit: But the website, which was last updated on 10 Aug 2011, says that Java is used as the programming language of choice. Is this outdated?
Old 05-08-2012 at 02:10 PM   #4
Moghue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
So if I took this course, I'd have to work with Python in the lab?
If the prof decides to use Python again this year (it was used for the 2011-2012 session) then yes, you will have to work with Python in the lab.

Old 05-08-2012 at 02:12 PM   #5
Moghue

Quote:
Edit: But the website, which was last updated on 10 Aug 2011, says that Java is used as the programming language of choice. Is this outdated?
From the Comp Sci 1MD3 course outline (2011-2012, Term 1):

Quote:
By the end of this course students will be able to develop simple well-structured programs in the language Python; learn basic techniques in disciplined programming; understand some fundamentals of computer science.
http://www.cas.mcmaster.ca/~franek/c...3/outline.html

Old 05-08-2012 at 02:16 PM   #6
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moghue View Post
From the Comp Sci 1MD3 course outline (2011-2012, Term 1):

http://www.cas.mcmaster.ca/~franek/c...3/outline.html
Thanks a ton. One last question: this course is just a semester long? Isn't it a tall order to learn a programming language in one semester?
Old 05-08-2012 at 02:30 PM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Thanks a ton. One last question: this course is just a semester long? Isn't it a tall order to learn a programming language in one semester?
Hey Thomas,

I took this course in term 1. Even though it was horribly managed, obtaining the marks were easy. Most if not all of the learning for this course has to be from your own independent time. Don't expect anything out of the lectures as my prof, Professor Franek will be teaching it next year as well. If you think you liked CS 1MD3, for next year you could look into CS 2S03 in which we will be using C++.

Alexmahone says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.
Old 05-08-2012 at 02:34 PM   #8
Moghue

Quote:
It is a tall order. However, note it is only an introduction course. You will not master the Python language, however you'll learn the fundamentals of programming which can be applied to other programming languages.

I'm assuming you haven't taken any college/university level courses, so you'll soon learn that the course-load and pace of classroom discussions will go by a lot quicker than they did in high school. You'll come to understand it isn't unfathomable to learn the fundamentals within just one semester.

Old 05-08-2012 at 02:36 PM   #9
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Hey Thomas,

I took this course in term 1. Even though it was horribly managed, obtaining the marks were easy. Most if not all of the learning for this course has to be from your own independent time. Don't expect anything out of the lectures as my prof, Professor Franek will be teaching it next year as well. If you think you liked CS 1MD3, for next year you could look into CS 2S03 in which we will be using C++.
Thanks. But why doesn't the university use just one programming language? Also, is CS 2S03 any different from CS 1MD3, apart from the fact that they use different languages?
Old 05-08-2012 at 02:47 PM   #10
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Yes, 2S03 goes into quite a bit more detail and depth than 1MD3.

Using only one language for every single course would be a bad choice for them to make, because knowing only one language is a terrible idea for anyone who wants to be able to do anything remotely useful in programming. Also, certain languages lend themselves to teaching certain concepts more easily than others, so depending on the course objectives, a suitable language can be chosen to illustrate the focus of the course.

Alexmahone says thanks to Andrew A for this post.
Old 05-25-2012 at 09:40 AM   #11
Alexmahone
Elite Member

So are we sure CS1MD3 will be using Python again this fall?
Old 05-25-2012 at 10:00 AM   #12
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Contact Professor Franek to find out.