MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Computer Science from College Computer Technology steve2345 Academics 3 10-17-2010 07:20 PM
computer science first year help incarnation Academics 5 07-17-2010 07:38 PM
computer science first year incarnation First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 07-14-2010 07:00 PM
Switching To First Year Computer Science JakeWill Academics 2 04-18-2009 08:14 AM

Computer Science First Year Schedule

Old 06-29-2011 at 10:45 PM   #16
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

you you mentioned business and comp sci i actually thought you were referring to business informatics. seems way easier to get as you wold have seats revise in the commerce class versus when you are minoring
Old 06-29-2011 at 10:51 PM   #17
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

Unfortunately it's a pretty unknown program. Computing and Software as well as Engineering do nothing to promote it, the only way you'd know it exists is looking on the calendar or that little webpage I linked.

Even at the Comp Sci information night for choosing your second year major, they didn't even mention it, until a passing comment at the end.

There are only 6 people in level II at the moment actually, but hopefully it'll grow into a larger program considering the benefits over plain Comp Sci.
Old 06-30-2011 at 06:58 AM   #18
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Only 6 people, wow :o.
I will be sure to spread the word first year in all my Comp. Sci classes. =]
Old 08-08-2011 at 11:22 PM   #19
Mahes

Liked: 1 Time

Stalking herBs .. jk

Yay Comp Sci!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
Take a language course. It's fun (at least I think so), the workload isn't bad at all, and it's a nice change from dealing with equations and formulas all day. I chose Russian and absolutely loved it.

EDIT: So much so that I'm taking the second year Russian course for next year as well. I got a 12 in the first first-year Russian course and a 10 in the second.
I think I may look into taking a language instead of one of my other electives if I can. I wanted to take French (for Canadian reasons) but the one I wanted was full. :O

And thanks Patrick for the information also

Last edited by Mahes : 08-08-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-09-2011 at 10:52 AM   #20
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

Make sure any elective you take you are at least a little bit interested in. There is nothing worse than having to study for a midterm/exam for a course you could care less about.

I'm pretty sure Anthro has a lot of writing in it (essays etc.) but I may be wrong. And Philo has a lot of reading and two essays.

Last edited by Moghue : 08-09-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-09-2011 at 11:02 AM   #21
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
Stalking herBs .. jk

Yay Comp Sci!

I think I may look into taking a language instead of one of my other electives if I can. I wanted to take French (for Canadian reasons) but the one I wanted was full. :O

And thanks Patrick for the information also
LOL John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moghue View Post
Make sure any elective you take you are at least a little bit interested in. There is nothing worse than having to study for a midterm/exam for a course you could care less about.

I'm pretty sure Anthro has a lot of writing in it (essays etc.) but I may be wrong. And Philo has a lot of reading and two essays.
I have no interest in either Econ course, but I'm taking them for an average booster. As for Philos, and my two Geog courses..I'm just going to do the work on a daily basis and work at it. Hopefully I'll like them while I'm doing those courses, thanks.
Old 08-09-2011 at 02:43 PM   #22
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
I have no interest in either Econ course, but I'm taking them for an average booster. As for Philos, and my two Geog courses..I'm just going to do the work on a daily basis and work at it. Hopefully I'll like them while I'm doing those courses, thanks.
Don't start looking at courses as "average boosters", each course is difficult in its own way. Granted, Econ 1B03 is very easy relative to other first year electives, but that doesn't mean everyone finishes with 11s, 12s. Averages for last years 1B03 was a 8 I think and 7 in 1BB3. I know a lot of people last year had a lot of trouble with 1BB3, and one bad midterm in that class will knock you out of the double digit marks.

Not having an interest in the course means when midterms and exams roll around, you'll find yourself studying for classes you actually care about over others, and that's what gets your GPA in trouble!

Don't take anything for granted!
Old 08-09-2011 at 03:05 PM   #23
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moghue View Post
Don't start looking at courses as "average boosters", each course is difficult in its own way. Granted, Econ 1B03 is very easy relative to other first year electives, but that doesn't mean everyone finishes with 11s, 12s. Averages for last years 1B03 was a 8 I think and 7 in 1BB3. I know a lot of people last year had a lot of trouble with 1BB3, and one bad midterm in that class will knock you out of the double digit marks.

Not having an interest in the course means when midterms and exams roll around, you'll find yourself studying for classes you actually care about over others, and that's what gets your GPA in trouble!

Don't take anything for granted!
Yes I realized you shouldn't take anything for granted. Those are still very high averages compared to some of the Math courses I've heard about. I only care about having a GPA of 9.5+ to be on the DHL. I'll find interest in the course if I have to, haha.
Old 08-09-2011 at 03:46 PM   #24
Patrick.O

Quote:
Yes I realized you shouldn't take anything for granted. Those are still very high averages compared to some of the Math courses I've heard about. I only care about having a GPA of 9.5+ to be on the DHL. I'll find interest in the course if I have to, haha.
A quick note about the DHL, as far as I know they don't take everyone who has a GPA above 9.5, that's just the minimum for consideration, you might need considerably higher than that. But it's a good thing to shoot for!
Old 08-09-2011 at 03:50 PM   #25
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick.O View Post
A quick note about the DHL, as far as I know they don't take everyone who has a GPA above 9.5, that's just the minimum for consideration, you might need considerably higher than that. But it's a good thing to shoot for!
Deans List = 80% when I called the Office of the Registrar and that's what they told me. It isn't a scholarship or something where there is a monetary gain involved which involves a minimum average to be considered for it.
Old 08-09-2011 at 03:51 PM   #26
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
It's just a title, as long as you get 9.5 you're on it.
Old 08-09-2011 at 03:53 PM   #27
Patrick.O

Quote:
Deans List = 80% when I called the Office of the Registrar and that's what they told me. It isn't a scholarship or something where there is a monetary gain involved which involves a minimum average to be considered for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
It's just a title, as long as you get 9.5 you're on it.
Well I stand corrected then!
Old 08-09-2011 at 03:55 PM   #28
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Well I stand corrected then!
Haha, it happens. Get back to replying to my PMs now, kthxbai.