MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's Computer Science like at Mac? MiniMac Academics 6 12-05-2012 10:49 AM
Computer Science at Mac not accredited? vtang Academics 20 08-10-2011 10:28 AM
Mac Computer Science from College Computer Technology steve2345 Academics 3 10-17-2010 07:20 PM
Computer Science accredited at Mac? RomanT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 05-25-2010 09:51 PM

Computer Science at Mac

Old 03-19-2016 at 11:54 AM   #1
Jaihawk

Liked: 0 Times

Computer Science at Mac
Hi everyone!
I was recently admitted to the Computer science (Co-op) program at McMaster. I had a few questions about the program at the university:
1. How is the quality of the content being taught? (Coding/programming)
2. How are the Co-op opportunities in the latter years? (around Canada, USA, international)
3. How does the program compare to the Computer Science programs at other universities (UofT, Waterloo, Western, Queen's,etc)?
4. Should I consider McMaster for Computer Science?
Thanks!
Old 03-19-2016 at 01:22 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
1. How is the quality of the content being taught? (Coding/programming)
Mediocre. It's mostly math.

Quote:
2. How are the Co-op opportunities in the latter years? (around Canada, USA, international)
Lots of opportunity for code monkeys with knowledge of at least 3 languages and a portfolio to show.

The problem is, you don't need a university degree for that, as it all depends on your work outside the class. I'd just take a software program at Mohawk College, they do more actual coding and it's cheaper too.

Quote:
3. How does the program compare to the Computer Science programs at other universities (UofT, Waterloo, Western, Queen's,etc)?
Same as Software Engineering: poorly.

Quote:
4. Should I consider McMaster for Computer Science?
From past experiences. Their program is tiny. Courses that they take are backwards. For instance I had Comp Sci students in some of my Soft Eng classes and they had no idea what was going on, because some of Comp Sci level 4 classes are Soft Eng level 2-3 classes. They also didn't have the same requirements for those courses, so they didn't have the background.

Jaihawk likes this.
Old 03-19-2016 at 08:52 PM   #3
lizbeth

Liked: 1 Time

I'm in second year CS, here's my experience.

1. It's definitely not mostly math. We do two calculus courses and one linear algebra course in first year (just like all the engineers) and two discrete math courses (with very specific computer science applications) in second year. That's it.
The point of doing a Computer Science degree is not just to learn to code. If that's all you want, then you're not looking for a university degree at all. It's more to learn the theory of computation and (from the software engineering courses) how to design projects well. That said, there are a number of really good practical courses, as well as a capstone project in fourth year.
We use a lot of Java, but definitely get to try some other languages too.

2. I'm not too sure about co-op, because I haven't done it, but you probably do want to have a good portfolio of your own projects to show potential employers.

3. I don't really know how the program compares to other universities. One major difference between computer science and software engineering at McMaster is that the computer science students get to take at least one elective every term, which makes it possible to get a minor, perhaps in a field where you might want to apply your knowledge about computer science.

4. Yes, you should consider McMaster for computer science. The program is quite small (50-70 students per year). I have not yet had any courses that were out of order. Perhaps GeorgeLucas could let us know which courses they were that were out of order and which pre-requisites were missing.

Jaihawk likes this.
Old 03-19-2016 at 09:59 PM   #4
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbeth View Post
I'm in second year CS, here's my experience.

1. It's definitely not mostly math. We do two calculus courses and one linear algebra course in first year (just like all the engineers) and two discrete math courses (with very specific computer science applications) in second year. That's it.
There's more math ahead.

Jaihawk likes this.
Old 03-21-2016 at 05:47 PM   #5
Jaihawk

Liked: 0 Times

Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it! Really interesting to see two distinct perspectives of the program. I will continue to look around and make a final decision soon enough.