MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Computer Science from College Computer Technology steve2345 Academics 3 10-17-2010 07:20 PM
Computer Science Sidd Academics 1 08-02-2010 01:04 PM
Computer Science Co-op julianface Academics 22 04-16-2010 05:35 PM
Computer Science dondada Academics 2 07-07-2008 01:20 PM

What's Computer Science like at Mac?

Old 08-24-2012 at 01:58 AM   #1
MiniMac

Liked: 0 Times

What's Computer Science like at Mac?
Hey everyone, I will most likely be applying to McMaster next year for CS and was wondering what to expect in terms of workload, profs, assignments etc. and was wondering if any students that are currently in the program could leave their feedback as to how the work environment is first year and what I should prepare for? How is co-op like in this program and what might be the job opportunities in the future? Also I heard there is a business informatics stream or something like that? If someone could explain to me what that is, I would really appreciate that!

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 08-24-2012 at 07:09 AM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Hi Azam,

I'm glad you're considering McMaster University for their Computer Science program. It's pretty hard to speak about the workload relative to other programs unless you, yourself have switched to or from another program. I believe the Engineering Math courses were the heaviest for me in terms of workload since I preferred to do all of the practice problems (even the ones which weren't assigned). The problem with commenting on the workload in first year Computer Science has to do with the fact you only have 5 mandatory courses, and the other 5 are electives. So, depending on what electives you take, and what you're skill set is, you're workload can be lighter than your fellow classmates, or perhaps not as light.

Same thing can be said regarding the professors. 5 professors will depend on what electives you take, but the 5 potential professors you can have for your mandatory courses for the most part are great. For your Engineering Math courses you will have some flexibility as to which professor's core (lecture) you want to be in. For your Computer Science mandatory courses (CS 1MD3 and CS 1FC3) there is only one professor assigned to each course who are also fine as well.

The work environment in first year depends on yourself, and the friends you decide to make. If you only have the sole purpose of excelling in school, I'm sure you can find at least a small group of friends with the same mind set. You should seriously prepare for whatever you think you're not that good at. Are you doing well in Math? Have you used a programming language before, if so, which one(s)? You should ask yourself these questions once you look at the brief course descriptions for your mandatory courses and the electives you choose to take or are at least interested in taking.

The co-op at McMaster University is much different than the co-op at the University of Waterloo (someone please do correct me if I'm wrong, thanks). You have to take this co-op course which isn't that bad and is more or less a pass/fail sort of course. Once you have completed that, you have access to this specific part of a website where you can check out co-op listings and apply to ones which are relevant to you, and your field of studies.

I lucked out, I ended up landing a co-op position right after my first year which isn't impossible, but uncommon to hear at McMaster University (as far as I know).

Job opportunities, again depend on you and your interests as you grow as a person during your undergraduate years. For all you know, you might go into the MBA program either here at McMaster University or elsewhere and end up working as a project manager at some bank and not as a developer or a business analyst as you initially thought.

The Business Informatics stream is essentially a combination of both Computer Science and Commerce courses. julianface (a member on MI) will be going into his third year who is in the Business Informatics stream. I suggest sending him a PM with questions directed solely towards the Business Informatics stream as he would be able to help you out much better with that (and would love to help).

If you have any more questions pertaining to the CS program or anything in general, please do feel free to ask.

Last edited by anonanon987 : 08-24-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-04-2012 at 11:23 PM   #3
MiniMac

Thanks for your input herBs! Another question I had was pertaining to the admission for CS. The cut off last year was high 70's to low 80s.. this year in the booklet it indicates low 80's, would you say an 81-84 average would suffice?
Old 12-04-2012 at 11:34 PM   #4
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMac View Post
Thanks for your input herBs! Another question I had was pertaining to the admission for CS. The cut off last year was high 70's to low 80s.. this year in the booklet it indicates low 80's, would you say an 81-84 average would suffice?
Unless there is some huge increase in applicants that should be fine
It's always best to be at the higher end of that spectrum but again, you should be good, its just impossible to be 100% sure with these things!
Old 12-05-2012 at 12:27 AM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Hi Azam,

What Phillip stated above is correct. I was at around an 84-85% top 6 average, and I was accepted (obviously). So, if you were on the higher end of the range you provided, you should be fine. Just try your level best and what happens, happens. Good luck.

With best regards,

Humza
Quote:
Old 12-05-2012 at 08:22 AM   #6
MiniMac

Thank you Philipp and herBs! Appreciate the help.
Old 12-05-2012 at 10:49 AM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Hey Azam. We're all here to help you. This is what this community was built around. Hope to see you around here more often. Good luck in your university applications.

With best regards,

Humza
Quote:
Thank you Philipp and herBs! Appreciate the help.

Marooner likes this.