MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Computer Science X!Bilet Academics 2 01-12-2011 09:09 AM
Mac Computer Science from College Computer Technology steve2345 Academics 3 10-17-2010 07:20 PM
Computer Science accredited at Mac? RomanT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 05-25-2010 09:51 PM
Computer Science Co-op julianface Academics 22 04-16-2010 05:35 PM
Computer Science dondada Academics 2 07-07-2008 01:20 PM

Computer Science at Mac not accredited?

Old 07-30-2011 at 11:17 AM   #16
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

There are usually two or three people in the biophysics specialization of physics and I would like to do that in level II...I hope the other people are nice. :|
Old 07-30-2011 at 02:15 PM   #17
JayChu

Liked: 4 Times

I don't know, when I'm in class, it's hard to tell because people take our classes as electives.
I dare say perhaps 100 - 120 computer science kids first year. Taking into account those engineers who didn't get into engineering and took computer science as back up in hopes into switching into engineering again.
Old 07-30-2011 at 02:22 PM   #18
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

Nope definitely not 100-120. It's a limit of about 50 comp sci students per year, about 900 apply but they only let about 50 in. (This is according to the information night for second year comp sci).
Old 07-30-2011 at 03:01 PM   #19
JayChu

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick.O View Post
Nope definitely not 100-120. It's a limit of about 50 comp sci students per year, about 900 apply but they only let about 50 in. (This is according to the information night for second year comp sci).
SERIOUSLY?
I don't feel so bad after all.
So i guess the additional people I see are people taking electives.
Cool, thanks bro!
Old 07-30-2011 at 03:46 PM   #20
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

Lol yeah, I find a lot of Math and Stats students take Comp Sci as an elective, and I'm guessing there are a bunch of people minoring in it
Old 08-10-2011 at 10:28 AM   #21
Preom

Liked: 0 Times

The reason that we're not accredited isn't because of the program size, but rather the administration didn't find it necessary. Computer science as a field is different from engineering, where it's absolutely necessary to have accreditation. For a university like McMaster which has a good enough reputation, it's not really a big deal, from what I've heard people that graduate from the undergraduate program usually have a high change of getting hired. Plus, for the program to be accredited, there would be issues in the type of programming language (i,e, which is the best one) as well as the course structure. The program itself would need to be a lot more rigid with less electives which is really counter-intuitive to computer science as an applied science.