can you minor in health science? ladyh Academics 6 01-01-2010 05:47 PM
Major Computer Science, Minor ??? Marty42 Academics 2 03-17-2009 02:17 PM
Computer Science dondada Academics 2 07-07-2008 01:20 PM

Computer Science Minor

Old 11-06-2008 at 05:01 PM   #1
Abyss

Liked: 1 Time

Computer Science Minor
So currently, I am in Commerce 1, intending to focus on accounting and auditing. I am thinking of completing a Computer Science Minor, but the only problem is that the Honours Commerce is lacking some elective space for me to complete the 24 units required for the minor. I am surely going to take the Management and Financial Accounting courses, plus auditing, taxing; all for the 51 hour CA transfer credits, taking a lot of my elective spaces.

I was just wondering if completing this minor would be worth it in the future because I, for sure am going to need to take some of these courses in the summer. What benefits could this bring? I really find programming fun and all, but is it worth the amount of time spent on it?
Old 11-06-2008 at 05:46 PM   #2
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
So currently, I am in Commerce 1, intending to focus on accounting and auditing. I am thinking of completing a Computer Science Minor, but the only problem is that the Honours Commerce is lacking some elective space for me to complete the 24 units required for the minor. I am surely going to take the Management and Financial Accounting courses, plus auditing, taxing; all for the 51 hour CA transfer credits, taking a lot of my elective spaces.

I was just wondering if completing this minor would be worth it in the future because I, for sure am going to need to take some of these courses in the summer. What benefits could this bring? I really find programming fun and all, but is it worth the amount of time spent on it?
In my opinion, it's not mainly a question of whether its worth it or not, but rather more of whether you can see a future doing something that will involve your accounting/management background as well as programming. I personally don't know how wide of a field there is that is inclusive in the options you want to pick, so you might want to see what kind of career possibilities are out there before deciding.

If you're taking it because you find computer sciences to be interesting but know the work possibilities out there are not to grand... well in my opinion DON'T do it. Managaments putting you in an extra year I'm guessing versus just sticking to Financial Accounting alone, but if you've to take courses in the summer just to get in that minor... I don't think it's worth it. I'd only take courses in the summer to lessen the work load in the upcoming school year; not to overburden myself with more work! Remember, you need a break too!
Old 11-06-2008 at 06:07 PM   #3
Abyss

Liked: 1 Time

Makes sense. I'll see what I can do with that minor. xD
Old 11-06-2008 at 07:22 PM   #4
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

remember when it comes down to it at a job interveiw or what have you, the employer 99% of time will ignore or not care as much about minors. Majors are what matter. Focus on those.
Old 11-06-2008 at 11:09 PM   #5
wankey

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
remember when it comes down to it at a job interveiw or what have you, the employer 99% of time will ignore or not care as much about minors. Majors are what matter. Focus on those.
That's not true. When it comes to job interviews they look at experience, past employment and possibly several references (it also relies mostly on your interview skills).

With a minor, you may be able to add on extra skills on your resume and have proof that you have them by citing your minor.

So it isn't exactly "useless", as long as you learn something out of that minor it is worth something. But if you're going for a minor just so you can add an extra line to your resume then you are wasting your time and money.

Focus on doing stuff out of school if you want it to be "noticed" in the future. Try to get into Google's Summer of Code or be a team leader of Oracle's Thinkquest competition, you know something to distinguish yourself from others.