MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psych 2RA3 mgallant 2nd Year Course Reviews 8 12-31-2010 05:22 AM
psych 2RA3 - PASW? nessa18 Academics 4 08-27-2010 02:42 PM
Psych 2B03, 2C03, 2F03, 2RA3 textbook advice Juicebox Academics 7 08-17-2010 11:11 AM
PSYCH 2RA3/2RB3 - advice? b_sunshine55 Academics 2 06-16-2008 10:05 AM

Conflict – Are PSYCH 2RA3 (STATS) tutorials mandatory??

Old 06-08-2009 at 03:47 PM   #1
WavyOne

Liked: 0 Times

Conflict – Are PSYCH 2RA3 (STATS) tutorials mandatory??
Ok so I’m going into third year in September and I’m switching from Honour Biology to Honours Biology and Psych therefore I have to pick up the two stats courses. I was just wondering if the tutorials are mandatory, because the 2RA3 tutorial conflicts with the Biochem 3G03 lecture. Both courses are needed for my program and for other courses I plan to take in forth year. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-08-2009 at 04:54 PM   #2
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

Hey,
I took the two psych stats courses last year and they aren't necessarily mandatory since there are no tests or quizzes during the tutorials but they do help with the assignments. So they aren't mandatory. If you're lucky, they'll post the tutorials online (they're usually ppt presentations about how to do assignments) so you won't be missing much.

-Priya

Kayli, WavyOne all say thanks to Duarch for this post.
Old 06-08-2009 at 05:30 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I don't know for sure since I never took the class, but if the tutorial counts as participation mark then you might want to try and sort that out. Tutorials are never mandatory, I mean, no one is telling you to go, it's usually upto you how you want to earn your grade.

Try looking up a course outline for it in the Psych section of the McMaster website, you may find out there.
Old 06-08-2009 at 06:36 PM   #4
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

As someone who's taken Biochem 3G03 ...

SKIP THE LECTURES (if the tutorials are mandatory). Dan Yang is a really nice and funny guy, but I only went to about 2 of the classes - I ended up with a 12.
Old 06-08-2009 at 07:38 PM   #5
WavyOne

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
As someone who's taken Biochem 3G03 ...

SKIP THE LECTURES (if the tutorials are mandatory). Dan Yang is a really nice and funny guy, but I only went to about 2 of the classes - I ended up with a 12.
THANKS!

Is it similar to Biochem 2EE3?? I mean in terms of the tests are they just straight from the lecture notes, because I found the lectures for that course USELESS!
Old 06-08-2009 at 08:30 PM   #6
b_sunshine55

Liked: 1 Time

While they arn't mandatory, you should be available to go to them as they explain the labs. The first few you can do by yourself but as the course progresses, tutorials become more valuable for straightening things out for the lab. If you are really stuck though, you can always meet with the T.A.s outside of tutorial time instead to talk about the labs. Good luck!
Old 06-08-2009 at 09:50 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Umm... regardless of whether or not they are mandatory, I don't think SOLAR will allow you to have a time table with conflicts in it.
Old 06-08-2009 at 10:15 PM   #8
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

I have a similar issue with Stats 2RB3 and Biochem 2EE3. The Stats tutorial is at the same time as one of the biochem lectures. Both are required, both only in that timeslot. How do I work around that?
Old 06-08-2009 at 11:08 PM   #9
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

required for what? your program or for your own interests? take one at another time, e.g. next year if it's for your own interests. otherwise you should contact your faculty if its a conflict with actual required courses.
Old 06-09-2009 at 03:35 PM   #10
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by WavyOne View Post
THANKS!

Is it similar to Biochem 2EE3?? I mean in terms of the tests are they just straight from the lecture notes, because I found the lectures for that course USELESS!
The tests are mostly rehashes of the old tests - make sure you go to the tutorials and UNDERSTAND the questions (instead of just memorizing the answers). Yang will change things about the question, so if you aren't reading carefully or if you don't understand the concepts then you'll get it wrong =p.

Yang >>>> Zhorov though.
Old 06-15-2009 at 07:56 PM   #11
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

What's odd is that BioChem2EE3 and Psych Stats are both required for BioPsych, so they really shouldn't be conflicting since every student in that program will need to take it. They might end up changing the time of the tutorial...