MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confused xiaoliu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-19-2011 01:42 PM
Confused. SyrianFiona First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 08-18-2011 04:25 AM
I am so confused right now ! sangyeub First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-03-2010 10:16 AM
So confused manu Academics 1 12-23-2009 02:09 PM
Im So Confused! Someone Help Me! rDhami First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-06-2009 02:25 PM

Confused?

Old 09-01-2012 at 11:13 PM   #1
Lilly_Allen

Liked: 7 Times

Confused?
Alright guys.. I know uni is starting soon but Im in a really stick situation right now. I am going into first year life sci however, I do not want to pursue this program second year as I want to switch into nursing. I already gathered all the information regarding the transfer procedure (Higg 80s +supp application). BUT.. I have the option of going back into High school.. doing a victory lap.. and applying into nursing again. I already applied into nursing this year, got accepted and for some really stupid reason.. decided to decline my offer. But I want to take up the opportunity again. I know many of you will tell me to contact the department head and talk to the advisor which I am going to do this Tuesday but I just wanted someone's opinion whether going back to high school and applying again or staying in life sci and applying is a good idea. PLEASE! Help!
Old 09-01-2012 at 11:18 PM   #2
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

I don't think there is any point in going back to high school. I say stay in life sci for two years and then apply to: http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/nursing/educa... scnaccel.html
Old 09-01-2012 at 11:19 PM   #3
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

Go back to Highschool
-loose a year of uni
-maybe less experience on how uni works once you get in?
-FREE!!!!!

Stay and Apply
-Experience uni
-maybe more prepared ?
-not really a 100% guarantee of getting into nursing ?
-Pay $6.5k plus of tuition, plus other spendings

OR You can just stay at MAC and get into BScN Basic - Accelerated (F) Stream in 2 years (I would do this).

Just my 2 cents,
Old 09-01-2012 at 11:34 PM   #4
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Do you actually think you can get a better job with degree with Nursing, rather than Life Sciences?
Old 09-01-2012 at 11:39 PM   #5
Lilly_Allen

It's not about whether a life sci degree would be better than a Nursing degree. It's about my preference.

Old 09-01-2012 at 11:43 PM   #6
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Oh then I would probably stay in school, its cheaper. And it's ok if you lose a year if you are not in your 20s.

But the thing is, next year the average could be even higher. So if you leave now, you can lose your sit in Mac.
Old 09-02-2012 at 12:24 AM   #7
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

^^ lol at least hell have a JOB unlike most life scis -_-

apples12, Biochem47, jim1 like this.
Old 09-02-2012 at 12:26 AM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Going to high school is prob the cheaper/easier. I'm pretty sure you can just.. transfer especially if you got accepted

jim1 likes this.
Old 09-02-2012 at 07:37 AM   #9
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Stay in highschool.
Do NOT make my mistake. I entered Mac in first year wanting to switch into nursing second year and it was an absolute nightmare :( Mac Nursing only accepts up to 10 transfers from other programs per year so you're actually going to be needing 90's which isn't exactly the easiest thing to do during University in my opinion. It's ridiculously competitive so now I'm just finishing my original degree and going into accelerated nursing as my second degree (which is also ridiculously more competitive). It makes much more sense to just stay in highschool for a year or work for a year and then re-apply.

jim1, lifesci09 like this.
Old 09-02-2012 at 05:04 PM   #10
Lilly_Allen

So it would be a better decision to stay back in High School?

lifesci09 likes this.
Old 09-02-2012 at 05:12 PM   #11
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Yea most likely.
Old 09-02-2012 at 05:35 PM   #12
pinkprincess

Liked: 3 Times

I think there's still a good chance that they might let you into the nursing program for this year. I know several people who made program switches during Welcome week.

As others have said, it would be better to do another year of high school that start in life science and hope to get into the Accelerated Nursing program. It's VERY competitive and there's a big chance you won't get in because of the limit. It's not impossible though...my friend got in this year and her grades weren't super high. There are other schools that have the accelerated nursing program that you can apply to, but I'm guessing they're just as competitive.

My advice would be to do another year of high school/ take the year off...then apply to several nursing programs. Don't waste time and money for a small chance that you might get into the accelerated nursing program.
Old 09-02-2012 at 05:47 PM   #13
andrewjdg

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsullz View Post
Stay in highschool.
Do NOT make my mistake. I entered Mac in first year wanting to switch into nursing second year and it was an absolute nightmare :( Mac Nursing only accepts up to 10 transfers from other programs per year so you're actually going to be needing 90's which isn't exactly the easiest thing to do during University in my opinion. It's ridiculously competitive so now I'm just finishing my original degree and going into accelerated nursing as my second degree (which is also ridiculously more competitive). It makes much more sense to just stay in highschool for a year or work for a year and then re-apply.
This. Except I wanted to switch into kinesiology instead of nursing. Boy oh boy, big mistake. Mac was very unclear about EVERY requirement (talk to this person, oh talk to this persona bout that, etc). I had the average etc, but didn't have a bio course which was impossible to take until the summer (after the application deadline), thus I was screwed. It's ok though, everything worked out

tldr; - just stay in hs if you really really know you want nursing. however, you may discover it might not be your thing after you enter uni
Old 09-02-2012 at 07:08 PM   #14
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

To be honest, going back for a fifth year in high school sounds like a better idea. Since mac tends to raise their admissions average from time to time, take anything you got a low mark in and try your best in it... don't forget about the scholarships! The higher your average is, the more money you will get

Also, since you did get into nursing this year, try and talk with someone at mac, here is a contact list:
http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/nursing/home_contact.html

Try to email someone from that list..if I was in your situation I would email Vicki Benedetti, sounds like the right person to get in contact with lol

Good luck with everything Hopefully they do let you into nursing this year!
Old 09-02-2012 at 09:02 PM   #15
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Yeah, your first option should DEFINITELY be to see if you can get in for this year. I do know people who have made program switches during WW, and since you got accepted initially, they should technically have a spot for you. The only thing is, if there is a waiting list or a "second wave" of acceptances after the first wave has already responded to their offers, you may have lost the spot. It's definitely worth a try, though.