MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
very confused Moh2in Residence & Housing 4 08-29-2010 06:19 PM
I am so confused right now ! sangyeub First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-03-2010 10:16 AM
So confused manu Academics 1 12-23-2009 02:09 PM
Confused =S ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-07-2008 04:20 PM

Im So Confused! Someone Help Me!

Old 07-04-2009 at 11:48 AM   #1
rDhami

Liked: 0 Times

Im So Confused! Someone Help Me!
Hey who ever's reading this.
I was wondering if one could get a MBA with just a BA, or would you have to get an honours BA degree? see i wanted to eventually lean towards a business MBA degree, but for now im starting my first year, and im applying myself to a BA in economics. i still have time to do the fourth year and get an honours BA in economics, but thats where i stand confused? is it mandatory to get an honours degree in economics? and then get an MBA in business? or will a BA in economics suffice? also.. do you think i should try and transfer to a BA or Honurs BA in b-comm if my average after 1st is high enough?
Old 07-04-2009 at 11:50 AM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rDhami View Post
Hey who ever's reading this.
I was wondering if one could get a MBA with just a BA, or would you have to get an honours BA degree? see i wanted to eventually lean towards a business MBA degree, but for now im starting my first year, and im applying myself to a BA in economics. i still have time to do the fourth year and get an honours BA in economics, but thats where i stand confused? is it mandatory to get an honours degree in economics? and then get an MBA in business? or will a BA in economics suffice? also.. do you think i should try and transfer to a BA or Honurs BA in b-comm if my average after 1st is high enough?
This explains admissions standards for McMaster's MBA:

https://www.mcmastermba.ca/mcmaster/.../standards.ezc

I would recommend doing an honors degree if you can, because it looks better than a non-honors degree in my opinion.

rDhami says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 07-04-2009 at 11:55 AM   #3
rDhami

Liked: 0 Times

ok so would i be able to get an MBA in business anywhere, as in any university, if i have been accepted that is, when i achieve my honours degree in economics? lol. im sorry about all the questions. im just really skitz about this.
Old 07-04-2009 at 12:05 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

By the time you finish a BA (non-Honours) the application number for an MBA program will have likely increased (there is an increase in all post-grad applications right now). So in order to set yourself apart from the competition when applying you'd probably need some work experience if you weren't completing an Honours.

In first year you're technically not in a program. You don't apply for a degree program until the end of your first year. Sooo at that time you can chose to pursue a BA (Hons) if you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rDhami View Post
ok so would i be able to get an MBA in business anywhere, as in any university, if i have been accepted that is, when i achieve my honours degree in economics? lol. im sorry about all the questions. im just really skitz about this.
Many MBA programs require a few years (3-5) of work experience before you can be admitted. Mac's program doesn't.

If you'd like more information check out this article. It explains a lot of the questions you're asking.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

rDhami says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 07-06-2009 at 02:25 PM   #5
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

My brother did his MBA at McMaster after doing a degree in Economics in Quebec -- it was an honours co-op degree, so he had a lot of work experience as well as the honours aspect. He had no trouble at all finding employment after he graduated!