MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confused xiaoliu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-19-2011 01:42 PM
Confused. SyrianFiona First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 08-18-2011 04:25 AM
I am so confused right now ! sangyeub First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-03-2010 10:16 AM
So confused manu Academics 1 12-23-2009 02:09 PM
Im So Confused! Someone Help Me! rDhami First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-06-2009 02:25 PM

Confused?

Old 09-03-2012 at 12:16 AM   #16
Lilly_Allen

Liked: 7 Times

Holy hell.. you guys are so freaking awesome.. I have hope.. finally LOL.. but seriously? There are people who can switch.. like in my situation.. I am not going back to high school because I had low marks, my average this year was an 92%.. I got into all the programs I applied too. Just because of parental pressure I decided to take up life science. I couldn't argue with them but I realized after that it was a bit to late to take up nursing and that's what I wanted to really do. I knew if I stayed in life sci would hate and regret everything. I am not saying the program is bad but it's not something I want to do. I want to go back to High school in order to avoid going into life sci and maybe boost up my average a bit more. I just made the mistake of letting go of my initial opportunity into nursing.
Old 09-03-2012 at 02:44 AM   #17
lifesci09

Liked: 2 Times

I agree, Im in the same situation as yourself in the sense that im a 4th year life sci student and tried to get into nursing last year and was unable to do so. Its so hard to transfer once you have started uni, I would recommend victory lapping it and applying directly from high school. good luck!
Old 09-03-2012 at 08:19 AM   #18
mtam

Liked: 4 Times

I completed the first two years of a degree at Mac and then switched to nursing in the Mo-Mac program which is the same program except for electives. Because I already had two years of uni, I didn't have to do any electives in nursing and I already had Psych and Stats. If you do decide to stay in life sci for the first year or two, take first year psych, a stats course and the L3 Biochem course for nurses (you may need to get permission for this last course) and this will be most beneficial to you in nursing. If you apply to the accel. program, you'll need university psych, stats and possibly chem and bio. Check out all your options. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2012 at 10:48 AM   #19
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Staying in highschool is aweful advice..
-Every year admissions cutoffs are more difficult to reach
-Every year you stay out of science courses or other random academics, the more likely you are to forget
-Yes, highschool is 'free' learning, but you're not really challenging yourself; its easy, no matter what course
-Every year you delay getting into higher learning, it may be come more difficult to learn because of how your brain develops (harder to learn as you age.. especially difficult concepts, the 'peak' is at 20-22, why waste this?)
-Getting a head start on becoming more independent and exposed to the real world can not be understated

The only decent argument against this is if you're incredibly strapped for cash (although not that gruelling if you budget well and work part time during the year or during the summer)

Kudos likes this.
Old 09-03-2012 at 11:53 AM   #20
Lilly_Allen

Lets say if I do end up going back and re apply again.. I heard when you apply through OUAC to the desired program, they ask whether you have applied to the program again :S? Is that correct and will that in any way end up presenting itself as a downside when I apply?
Old 09-03-2012 at 12:29 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly_Allen View Post
Lets say if I do end up going back and re apply again.. I heard when you apply through OUAC to the desired program, they ask whether you have applied to the program again :S? Is that correct and will that in any way end up presenting itself as a downside when I apply?
Officially there should not be a downside otherwise it would be discrimination. Whether or not they actually do use it against you is up to them, but they will never say that you got rejected because you've previously applied.

Lilly_Allen likes this.
Old 09-03-2012 at 03:29 PM   #22
Lilly_Allen

Ahh Makes sense.. I just hope that going back to high school wont effect my admission into nursing like my upgraded courses
Old 09-03-2012 at 03:36 PM   #23
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Everyone I knew who went back for a victory lap hated it... I would do your damnedest to get into nursing for this semester, if at all possible. And if you must delay school for a year, why go back to high school? Go get a full time job and save up, you'll thank yourself huge a few years from now.
Old 09-04-2012 at 12:07 AM   #24
Lilly_Allen

Can anyone help me out with how some people are able to switch into a different program during welcome week?
Old 09-10-2012 at 04:28 PM   #25
Goran

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly_Allen View Post
Can anyone help me out with how some people are able to switch into a different program during welcome week?
I had a friend that switched from Commerce to a Soc Sci program like a week after classes started, but that's probably more to do with Soc Sci being less competitive, having more seats etc. It probably wouldn't have been possible if he tried to get into Commerce.

Just contact the undergrad advisers for nursing and life sci and go directly to their office if all else fails. Try contacting the admissions coordinator and program chair too (check faculty/staff directory on the McMaster website for contact info).

You have a great high school average so that should definitely help.