MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wind mobile? Linh Computers & Tech 41 09-06-2010 06:44 PM
Wind aa84 Computers & Tech 1 08-23-2010 11:40 PM
bell switching phone cjdzl Computers & Tech 1 08-02-2010 04:33 PM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
embroidered wind breakers where are they? Eximious General Discussion 3 11-10-2008 11:45 PM

Considering switching to Wind - which phone?

Old 03-02-2011 at 07:48 PM   #16
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.p92 View Post
I'm using the BlackBerry 9780 and my signal is pretty strong throughout campus. Elevators and everything have at least 3 bars or more. However I get pretty much nothing in the ETB; so if you plan on using your cell phone a lot in that building, it's not really worth it.
Reception in ETB sucks with ANY provider, network, or phone.
Old 03-04-2011 at 12:56 AM   #17
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Got the Alcatel Tribe today... NOT impressed thus far.

Touchscreen is horrible. Extremely annoying trying to scroll up and down (constantly clicking other shit and having to go back) and the touchscreen keyboard is basically completely unusable. I have the tiniest effing hands I've ever seen on somebody and even I have difficulty using it. Not to mention the buttons on the right side of the screen are IMPOSSIBLE to hit since the fuucking scrollbar like half-ass gets in the way.

Can't believe I'm about to say this, but I miss my iphone. >_>

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-04-2011 at 08:10 AM   #18
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Got the Alcatel Tribe today... NOT impressed thus far.

Touchscreen is horrible. Extremely annoying trying to scroll up and down (constantly clicking other shit and having to go back) and the touchscreen keyboard is basically completely unusable. I have the tiniest effing hands I've ever seen on somebody and even I have difficulty using it. Not to mention the buttons on the right side of the screen are IMPOSSIBLE to hit since the fuucking scrollbar like half-ass gets in the way.

Can't believe I'm about to say this, but I miss my iphone. >_>
As long as you haven't used like 30 minutes of airtime or haven't had it 14 days, you can return it, thankfully.
Old 03-04-2011 at 11:27 AM   #19
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
As long as you haven't used like 30 minutes of airtime or haven't had it 14 days, you can return it, thankfully.
To what, exactly? All reviews are saying any other phone is just as worse in terms of sensitivity. & I'm not dishing out 300~ dollars for a blackberry.

I just want internets + text without it being r3tarded.

Who knew iPhones were so good. I didn't.

Old 03-04-2011 at 12:27 PM   #20
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Who knew iPhones were so good. I didn't.

There is a reason why iPhones are so popular. Marketing is one, but Apple did really make a good product.

Coming from a iPhone user too, you will have to find top model Androids in order to replace the iPhone. Even if you shell 300+ for a Blackberry, you will still hate it.
Old 03-04-2011 at 12:35 PM   #21
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post

There is a reason why iPhones are so popular. Marketing is one, but Apple did really make a good product.

Coming from a iPhone user too, you will have to find top model Androids in order to replace the iPhone. Even if you shell 300+ for a Blackberry, you will still hate it.
I just assume since touchscreens are so bloody popular that they'd actually work.

There's still a lot I hate about my iPhone.

Old 03-04-2011 at 12:44 PM   #22
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
I just assume since touchscreens are so bloody popular that they'd actually work.

There's still a lot I hate about my iPhone.
Those touchsreens do work! Its just that you have to use a different technique when working with resistive screen. It require force unlike iPhone's capacitive screen which does not.

Hint: Fingernails work best. Believe it or not... So get a screen protector.
Old 03-04-2011 at 01:09 PM   #23
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Those touchsreens do work! Its just that you have to use a different technique when working with resistive screen. It require force unlike iPhone's capacitive screen which does not.

Hint: Fingernails work best. Believe it or not... So get a screen protector.
It doesn't work. It's like, legitimately not aligned correctly. The "p" is too close to the scroll area. It's really hard to "press."

And wowwwwwwwwwww. I was on campus earlier and all of a sudden it switched to "Wind Away" and I couldn't get out of it. (Didn't notice till about 30 minutes of browing the internet and sending mass texts).

Just phoned to explain the fact I was in Hamilton and in a Wind Home zone and I don't want to risk getting charged.

I spent about 8 minutes on the phone saying "I understand that if I'm in the Away Zone I'll be charged for data and texts, that's why I'm calling. Because my phone is saying that I'm in a Wind Away Zone even though I'm not AND I DON'T WANT TO BE CHARGED" before I hung up. Thanks for wasting my minutes, douchebag.

And thanks for the superb start, Wind. >_>

Good God, I'm unimpressed right now.

Old 03-04-2011 at 01:19 PM   #24
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
And wowwwwwwwwwww. I was on campus earlier and all of a sudden it switched to "Wind Away" and I couldn't get out of it. (Didn't notice till about 30 minutes of browing the internet and sending mass texts).

Just phoned to explain the fact I was in Hamilton and in a Wind Home zone and I don't want to risk getting charged.

I spent about 8 minutes on the phone saying "I understand that if I'm in the Away Zone I'll be charged for data and texts, that's why I'm calling. Because my phone is saying that I'm in a Wind Away Zone even though I'm not AND I DON'T WANT TO BE CHARGED" before I hung up. Thanks for wasting my minutes, douchebag.

And thanks for the superb start, Wind. >_>

Good God, I'm unimpressed right now.
The phone was design to receive the best signal currently available. This of course means that in many area within Home Zone, Rogers/Fido 2G signal (Home Away) is stronger and the phone switch to using them as a result.

You can do two things: one is calling Wind and have them completely disable the ability to roam. Or you can set your phone to only use 3G network (Wind is 3G only, and your phone most likely only support 3G from Wind frequency) in order to avoid hitting Wind Away zone.

If you do this however, even while in the official Home zone, you will encounter certain area where you have no signal and will not be able to use your phone. Still a good trade off than having extra charges.
Old 03-04-2011 at 01:23 PM   #25
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
The phone was design to receive the best signal currently available. This of course means that in many area within Home Zone, Rogers/Fido 2G signal (Home Away) is stronger and the phone switch to using them as a result.

You can do two things: one is calling Wind and have them completely disable the ability to roam. Or you can set your phone to only use 3G network (Wind is 3G only, and your phone most likely only support 3G from Wind frequency) in order to avoid hitting Wind Away zone.

If you do this however, even while in the official Home zone, you will encounter certain area where you have no signal and will not be able to use your phone.
Roaming IS off. I'm not that retarded, lol. I had about 3 bars but it was set to Away. I'm not ****ing paying for that, the broad said "you're good as long as you're in Hamilton." I'm in Hamilton.

another trip, yay. (I'm not calling them, that one phone call took 8 ****ing minutes... >_> 90% sure I'm getting rid of this phone, lol)

Last edited by lawleypop : 03-04-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-04-2011 at 01:27 PM   #26
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Roaming IS off. I'm not that retarded, lol. I had about 3 bars but it was set to Away. I'm not ****ing paying for that, the broad set "you're good as long as you're in Hamilton." I'm in Hamilton.

another trip, yay.
I think you are confuse between two different setting.

Roaming is for data. It does not affect how you connect to the towers.

Setting your phone to 3G only remove your ability to connect to Home Away. If you done this, you will never be able to connect to Home Away.

Technically, they shouldn't allow the ability to connect to Home Away towers within Home Zone. They did this earlier in order to fill in those gaps their new towers couldn't reach to. At the start, I heard it was free too while you are in Home Zone. Not sure how they will handle it now. I'm sure it will be a lot of work on your part to convince them to not charge you.
Old 03-04-2011 at 01:33 PM   #27
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
I think you are confuse between two different setting.

Roaming is for data. It does not affect how you connect to the towers.

Setting your phone to 3G only remove your ability to connect to Home Away. If you done this, you will never be able to connect to Home Away.

Technically, they shouldn't allow the ability to connect to Home Away towers within Home Zone. They did this earlier in order to fill in those gaps their new towers couldn't reach to. At the start, I heard it was free too while you are in Home Zone. Not sure how they will handle it now. I'm sure it will be a lot of work on your part to convince them to not charge you.
Yea, I'm not sure how the ***** saying "Everything will be free as long as you're in Hamilton and/or the "Wind Home zones" and then me being charged when I'm in Hamilton and/or the Wind Zone will fly. I'll throw a ***** fit, and I won't be charged. I'm ****ing annoyed.

Especially considering the FIRST question I asked her was "I was doing some research last night and people were complaining that although they were in a Wind Home zone, their phone was displaying as Wind Away" and her response was "That shouldn't happen."

k then.

Edit: oopsies, I swore a lot. n_n