MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graduation Process The Effekt General Discussion 4 05-21-2014 04:57 PM
If you do not attend convocation, will you still be in the Convocation Program? naeD General Discussion 6 05-16-2014 05:11 PM
Withdraw Process Robertp Academics 2 01-25-2014 01:31 PM
Roommate change process mobakri Residence & Housing 2 01-08-2014 12:22 PM
a little help with admission process soody First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 01-29-2012 06:54 AM

Convocation Process??!

Old 06-08-2016 at 08:37 PM   #1
itslizard

Liked: 0 Times

Convocation Process??!
My convocation ceremony is next week and I am super nervous. I've watched the video McMaster made for the steps of the actual ceremony (getting your ticket, lining up, giving your name card, etc.) BUT it does not touch on where you go once you cross the stage! Do you just go back to your seat? How do you know where to sit?

Anyone with experience or who has been to a convocation pleaseeeeee help calm my nerves :(
Old 06-08-2016 at 09:07 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

It kinda seems to be like the Kipling ceremony.

So basically you listen to the obligatory "bla bla bla.... new minds... bla bla bla.... our future...." speech, like you hear in every major student event. Maybe some presentations for parents (investors), then some speech from the students. That will take over an hour, and only after the people who own the university stop stroking their ego you move on to graduation. By the way you are gonna stand for all that time, so get your comfy shoes. Then you have to stand for several hours waiting for your turn to get to get the thing.

In short it's basically: stand for 4 hours, the end.
Old 06-09-2016 at 11:41 AM   #3
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times

I heard that the Science Convocation is apparently 4.5 hours of just standing, getting your degree with thousands of people in the hall and taking a few pictures. Doesn't seem too exciting....
Old 06-11-2016 at 09:46 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Don't worry about where to go, they have people directing you and unless you're literally the first person to graduate at the entire convocation (unlikely unless you're getting a PhD and last name starts with A or B), you get to watch others do it first.
Everybody else is in the same situation as you, so just relax. They've organized hundreds of these.