MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cootes Clean-up Kareko MacInsiders Announcements 6 10-15-2010 05:40 AM
Cootes Clean-up mmmdert MacInsiders Announcements 6 10-13-2010 09:14 PM
This week in Cootes Paradise! Alvand MacInsiders Announcements 10 10-05-2010 10:09 AM
sketchy landlord? shleyaa General Discussion 11 01-13-2009 07:34 PM
a walk in Cootes Paradise katie_batt General Discussion 10 10-13-2008 04:48 PM

Is cootes sketchy?

Old 02-05-2010 at 09:21 AM   #16
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
How is it a designated rape forest? Shouldn't the police be uhh you know doing something bout that?
...they're not actually designated. But you get to know which forests to avoid. And cops are useless. You just learn to travel in packs if you have to pass though.
Old 02-05-2010 at 09:35 AM   #17
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
ok, thanks guys . I just wanted to check... I've been hearing about people getting mugged, and I'll be clearly carrying a camera ...and in Kitchener we have designated rape forests etc. lol so I just thought I'd check.
LFMAOOO designated rape forests...wow...
Old 02-05-2010 at 09:43 AM   #18
crazyfree
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Ah.... Got to love Kitchener. We had one forest by my school that a naked man like to hang out in when I was in grade 3&4. We also had another that had a couple of dead bodies turn up in but I think that was more rumor than real.
haha yea, I know what you're talking about. We had a forest next to my junior high with men who would whip it out and touch themselves while following us. 0_0
And oh the dead body forests. But yea..I have to agree, mainly just rumors
Old 02-05-2010 at 10:08 AM   #19
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
How is it a designated rape forest? Shouldn't the police be uhh you know doing something bout that?
Maybe the police are the ones behind it :o
Old 02-05-2010 at 10:12 AM   #20
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

I run through cootes regularly, and all I have to say is watch out for deer. Some of them are *******s.

If you want good nature shots though, cootes sucks donkeys balls. Hamilton has something like 125 waterfalls, all easily accessible by the HSR, and right now they should be half frozen, half thawed. There are some that are even close to the university.

http://www.cityofwaterfalls. ca/ham...ls_list.h tml

there is a list down the left side of the screen, just try using google maps to find them. They are almost all along the escarpment, along the bruce trail. Really amazing stuff. I just came from out in Nova Scotia where nature kicks ass, waterfalls everywhere. So coming to hamilton was an odd comfort.

Check out the waterfalls! I have class now but I will post some of the easier to access ones.

crazyfree says thanks to Rossclot for this post.
Old 02-05-2010 at 10:14 AM   #21
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

I've gone to Cootes from behind Brandon... it's not so bad....there's a part where there's a bridge, which I found cool as well as swans in the spring do bring a friend, it makes going back there fun.
Old 02-05-2010 at 08:02 PM   #22
Rossclot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiffany...%2C_Ontario%29

Tiffany Falls is the closest, it is a short bus ride, either ride the 51 west until the end. Or the 5C should take you out there. It is right at the West Hamilton Loop. If you look on google maps it is listed, and the wikipedia page gives the co-ordinates. It is a short walk, very tourist friendly.

This is a basic map of the bigger ones. The bus does a really good job of getting you close.
http://map.hamilton.ca/Static/PDFs/G...terfallMap.pdf

If you have the time I would personally suggest Tiffany Falls(closest, winter friendliest), Albion Falls, Webster's Falls, The Devil's Punch Bowl (cool one but longer bus trip).

Websters is really snazzy for a day trip. Really cool view from all around the falls, just be careful on those stairs. It is easiest to take a bus as close as possible then cab it as close as possible, it will make things so much simpler.

crazyfree says thanks to Rossclot for this post.
Old 02-06-2010 at 08:54 AM   #23
PolSci_Mike

Liked: 1 Time

I dunno guys... I saw a werewolf down there one time... told me he was gonna go kick some vampire ass, i suggest bringing a gun/silver bullets/cross bow/stake/ and some garlic.... !
Old 02-06-2010 at 10:49 AM   #24
crazyfree
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiffany...%2C_Ontario%29

Tiffany Falls is the closest, it is a short bus ride, either ride the 51 west until the end. Or the 5C should take you out there. It is right at the West Hamilton Loop. If you look on google maps it is listed, and the wikipedia page gives the co-ordinates. It is a short walk, very tourist friendly.

This is a basic map of the bigger ones. The bus does a really good job of getting you close.
http://map.hamilton.ca/Static/PDFs/G...terfallMap.pdf

If you have the time I would personally suggest Tiffany Falls(closest, winter friendliest), Albion Falls, Webster's Falls, The Devil's Punch Bowl (cool one but longer bus trip).

Websters is really snazzy for a day trip. Really cool view from all around the falls, just be careful on those stairs. It is easiest to take a bus as close as possible then cab it as close as possible, it will make things so much simpler.
I will be going there fore sure, thank you soo much!!
Old 02-06-2010 at 11:00 AM   #25
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times

Some people find the idea of exploring Cootes as sketchy, thinking it is something totally different than it is. It's actually very nice, with pathways safely guiding you on route, and if you happen to come across someone walking as well, they are most usually very friendly. For a day trip, don't feel freightened at all. At night, it is best to go there after you are comfortable with the routes, and you still might want to bring a friend anyhow.

While the waterfalls around Hamilton do make for very nice photo shoots, you can still take awesome photos in Cootes. I find that in a forest, there are so many opportunities for nice pictures. Just don't forget to look up

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Old 02-06-2010 at 11:41 AM   #26
Rossclot

Supposedly we have a "outers" type club here but I dont have the time to look into it. They would also know a lot of that stuff and local places to go.

I'm too hardcore to go out with a group though. If you ever go on a nature walk and see some guy riding a bear, protecting some bunnies from a mountain lion, or fist fighting a buck, it's probably me just being awesome.

crazyfree likes this.
Old 02-06-2010 at 11:46 AM   #27
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

In first year, I lived in Les Prince, and explored in Cootes without a flashlight at night (like 4-5 AM) several times a week. And no I wasn't drunk/high and I never encountered anything scary, even at night. I know that place like the back of my hand and can find my way even in the pitch black. You'll definitely be okay during the day =D