MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Wnetworth house & paradise catering AndreaS General Discussion 8 08-02-2010 01:58 PM
Is cootes sketchy? crazyfree General Discussion 26 02-06-2010 11:46 AM
Anybody know why university reading week a week earlier than college? TTHX General Discussion 11 01-08-2010 03:44 PM
a walk in Cootes Paradise katie_batt General Discussion 10 10-13-2008 04:48 PM

This week in Cootes Paradise!

Hello MacInsiders!

Come join the Cootes Paradise Club on some of our awesome nature activities this week! With the leaves changing colours, this is the best time of the year to explore the forest that's right in our backyard!

Activities this Week
  • Monday- Monday Lunch Picnics!
    Meet at the BSB flagpole at 12pm sharp! Bring a lunch and some warm clothes!
  • Tuesday- Yoga @ The Pulse + Cootes Morning Hike! Come to the Pulse in DBAC at 7am for Phil's yoga class, then we'll go for a hike through Cootes to start off the day! If you don't have a Pulse membership, you can meet us at the Marauder Plaza (the area with the big rocks outside of DBAC) at 8:00 am. You'll be feeling so good all day, so come if you like feeling good!
  • Wednesday- Cootes Clean-Up with the Mac Bio Society!We'll meet at 2:30pm at the West Entrance/Plaza of the Life Sciences Building. They will be supplying the gloves and garbage bags. We're going to clean up the garbage along the trails, the edge of the forest, and anywhere else we spot those unwanted forest dwellers!
  • Thursday- Forest Running! Meet at 5:30pm, ready to go, at Marauder Plaza. We'll run through the Chegwin Trail, then the Ravine Road Trail, and maybe even some new trails near the water!
  • Friday- Silent Hike! End your week with some time of personal reflection. We'll meet at 2:30pm at the BSB flag poles.

Please RSVP by emailing [email protected] for all the hikes you wish to come to. All hikes are happening rain or shine!

See you outside!

Alvand Mohtashami
Cootes Paradise Club Leader
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 10-04-2010 at 09:14 AM   #2
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.
Program: Program
Year: Other

Liked: 202 Times
This sounds really nice, but I have classes during most of those times. I might come today...not sure.

Oh and, can you guys post directions on how to get to Cootes? I'm a first year, and I've never been there, and I'd like to go and check it out myself sometimes.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 10-04-2010 at 09:44 AM   #3
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer
Program: Chemical Biology
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS (formerly Bates)

Liked: 447 Times
Cootes Paradise is awesome. They just re-opened Sassafras point this year. I hope the silent hike goes out to the point. It's awesome.

@ Silentwalker

Cootes is HUGE! it has numerous entrances. There is one in west quad, but my favourite is the nature trail that leaves from the unpaved parking lot past Les Prince
Old 10-04-2010 at 10:49 AM   #4
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User
Program: Honours Life Science

Liked: 74 Times
hey how long is the hiking going to last? you think we'll be done by 1pm cause i got class which i cant miss but i really wanna attend the hike (yoga not so much)

Old 10-04-2010 at 12:52 PM   #5
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper
Program: Commerce
Year: Fourth

Liked: 454 Times
Should've went, bloodywarz. We were done by like 1:08.
Old 10-04-2010 at 01:56 PM   #6
Chevalier
Elite Member
Program: not entirely sure
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 203 Times
hey do u guys know where can find a good trail map for cootes paradise, i dont have time to go to most of these so i thought id go exploring on my own or with a couple friends when we get the time.

thanks
krupesh
Old 10-04-2010 at 03:14 PM   #7
Rakim
Account Locked
Program: English & Cultural Studies

Liked: 815 Times
the hike was awesome when i went with my ecology class
Old 10-04-2010 at 06:07 PM   #8
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User
Program: Honours Life Science

Liked: 74 Times
awesome i think ill go 2marro morning anyone else coming
Old 10-04-2010 at 06:15 PM   #9
Alvand
Program: Business
Year: Third

Liked: 39 Times
Hey everyone,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
Oh and, can you guys post directions on how to get to Cootes? I'm a first year, and I've never been there, and I'd like to go and check it out myself sometimes.
The 2 main trails that lead off McMaster's campus are the Chegwin Trail and the Ravine Road Trail. The Chegwin Trail is the best trail to walk because it loops right from Brandon Hall and comes out between Hedden and Les Prince. It's a nice beginner hike with lots of nice areas to stop and observe the natural world.

The Ravine Road Trail leads from the parking lots past Les Prince, near the soccer fields. It goes down and around all the way to Westdale, but if you take a right at another trail, you can loop back to Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
I hope the silent hike goes out to the point.
Yeah, why not? We'll go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodywarz View Post
hey how long is the hiking going to last?
The Monday Lunch Picnics are a bit over an hour. Tuesday's hike will be done before 9:30am for sure. Wednesday's clean-up is for as long as you want to help out. Thursday's jog will be for about 45 minutes probably, but if we want to go explore around it could be longer. Friday's silent hike will probably be about 1.5 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post
hey do u guys know where can find a good trail map for cootes paradise, i dont have time to go to most of these so i thought id go exploring on my own or with a couple friends when we get the time.

thanks
krupesh
There aren't too many printed trail maps yet... I've been given a small amount my the Royal Botanical Gardens (who own the property) so if you come on a hike I can show it to you. However, if you venture into the forest, there are a few 'path closed' signs that show the trails in the Westdale vicinity. I'm not talking about the sign that's near the Brandon Hall entrance... there are better maps down by the marsh.

MacTV Executive Producer

Old 10-05-2010 at 09:03 AM   #10
Chevalier
Elite Member
Program: not entirely sure
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 203 Times
sounds cool thx

i think ill tag along for the Thursday run through the woods, do u know which trail that takes and how long is it, also is it like an intense run or a nice jog.

thanks
~krupesh
Old 10-05-2010 at 10:09 AM   #11
Alvand
Program: Business
Year: Third

Liked: 39 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post
do u know which trail that takes and how long is it, also is it like an intense run or a nice jog.

thanks
~krupesh
It's a nice light jog for about a half hour? We can stop places for some exercises and whatnot as well. Try to hit the shoreline and watch some birds for a bit.

MacTV Executive Producer

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search