MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Core vs Tutorial? ShiningStar First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-21-2010 11:09 PM
core 7 - 9 tutorial 9 - 10 in different building? darkstar First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-23-2009 07:20 AM
Different profs for core and tutorial possible? MohitB Academics 1 08-13-2009 06:04 PM
core lab tutorial? moskal89 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-13-2008 07:55 AM
Do we pick our Lab, Core and Tutorial times? Mac12 Academics 2 07-07-2008 09:36 AM

Core and Tutorial problem :S

Old 06-06-2011 at 02:17 AM   #1
Nuelonas

Liked: 5 Times

Core and Tutorial problem :S
Hey i was wondering if we can take tutorial and cores having different profs.

Math 1A03 C01 HASKELL, D
Math 1A03 T02 BARTO, L

would it be possible if i chose them like this or should the instructor of tutorial be same as that of core ?
Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: doc timetable-macinsiders.doc (46.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-06-2011 at 02:20 AM   #2
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

The typical response will be to contact the professor to be sure, since we can't guarantee our information to be completely accurate...so take this with a grain of salt.

However in my past experience, for Intro Calc, the tutorials have always been completely optional, and for the students' benefit. Attendance was never taken, and it didn't matter which core you attended, let alone which tutorial. "Officially" you can't select a tutorial that differs from your core section...however nothing's stopping you from just "showing up" to the other section.

For instance, I had a conflict during one of my core lectures on Wednesday mornings in my first year, so I went to a different professor's section on Tuesday afternoons to make up for it.
Old 06-06-2011 at 10:28 AM   #3
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

The only that matters about which tutorial section you are in is which box you're going to hand in your assignments into, for Math 1A03 anyway.

Btw, I believe that tutorials and lectures are expected to be taught by different teachers. This year we had a Ph.D student lead the tutorials.
Old 06-06-2011 at 10:48 AM   #4
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
The typical response will be to contact the professor to be sure, since we can't guarantee our information to be completely accurate...so take this with a grain of salt.

However in my past experience, for Intro Calc, the tutorials have always been completely optional, and for the students' benefit. Attendance was never taken, and it didn't matter which core you attended, let alone which tutorial. "Officially" you can't select a tutorial that differs from your core section...however nothing's stopping you from just "showing up" to the other section.

For instance, I had a conflict during one of my core lectures on Wednesday mornings in my first year, so I went to a different professor's section on Tuesday afternoons to make up for it.
You're not "supposed" to take a different tutorial than the core? Really? As I understood it, the only two things that should be the same was the tutorial # and lab # for those courses which switched tutorials and labs EOW (e.g., chemistry 1A03 to 2OB3). Especially because there might be one core but 10+ tutorial sections.
Old 06-06-2011 at 10:54 AM   #5
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Yup, that should be no problem...last year for 1LS3 Lovric suggested we have the same prof as our core, but he said it really doesn't matter (as they are optional).
Old 06-07-2011 at 08:56 AM   #6
Nuelonas

Liked: 5 Times

so basically it doesnt really matter which tutorial..hmm
Old 06-07-2011 at 10:47 AM   #7
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuelonas View Post
Hey i was wondering if we can take tutorial and cores having different profs.

Math 1A03 C01 HASKELL, D
Math 1A03 T02 BARTO, L

would it be possible if i chose them like this or should the instructor of tutorial be same as that of core ?
Thanks
Are you in first year or entering first year?

Because if you're entering first year, the answer is: Yes you can have different profs. You'll understand it much more clearly once you get here.

If you're already done first year, then my answer is: Go to class more often and you'll understand it much more clearly once you get here.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 06-07-2011 at 10:50 AM   #8
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Haskell's a great prof, just lettin' you know.

Disclaimer: a great prof to a pure math student may be an awful prof to a science student.

Old 06-07-2011 at 01:57 PM   #9
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
You're not "supposed" to take a different tutorial than the core? Really? As I understood it, the only two things that should be the same was the tutorial # and lab # for those courses which switched tutorials and labs EOW (e.g., chemistry 1A03 to 2OB3). Especially because there might be one core but 10+ tutorial sections.
I misspoke there. You're right, so let me clarify:

What I meant to say was, in the faculty of Math and Stats, Tutorial leaders for a section associated with "Professor X" are given specific problems/examples by Professor X to augment what they've covered in lecture.

For instance when I was TAing Math 1AA3 and 1XX3 (covering the exact same course material, (and in fact all three Core sections included both types of students) but one tutorial was on Tuesday, the other on Friday), I was given certain instructions for the Tuesday class by Dr. Lozinski, and certain instructions for Fridays by Dr. Krepski.

This isn't a make or break point, but if for example, one core section didn't cover the Harmonic Series in class, but suddenly you need to do the Comparison Test (for which it helps if you see the Harmonic Series example), then you should go to the tutorial for which the TA has instructions to cover the Harmonic Series.

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-07-2011 at 02:05 PM.