MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Websites getting shutdown Rakim General Discussion 4 02-01-2011 11:05 PM
Internet on res Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 09-04-2010 04:53 PM
Internet Cap Allan Residence & Housing 28 11-22-2008 05:03 PM

Corporations trying to shutdown the internet

Old 12-24-2011 at 10:53 AM   #1
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

Corporations trying to shutdown the internet

They are saying they want to stop piracy, but the truth is , big corporations dont want new businesses to be successful and take their place. Everything is happening on the internet , people are getting famous and recognized for their talents through youtube and many sharing sites. Big businesses want to stop people in advertising and marketing new ideas and taking over businesses. In my opinion Justin Bieber is a big factor of what is going on. He got famous through youtube and after 2 years he is making 100 million dollars a year. The big corporations dont want "new things" they want to stay dominating everything. The amount of people that rely on the internet to make a living is increasing every year . If this bill passes facebook, youtube and twitter might be gone. The people that are trying to pass it dont know what the internet is and they dont even know how to use it , all they care about is staying in dominating the world and disconnecting it

drpatel, MiniDragon all say thanks to Reda for this post.

Old 12-24-2011 at 11:24 AM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

I don't think that's going to happen. If they do shut down the internet, that means that people can NOT use Facebook, YouTube, twitter, etc.

Mark zuckerberg, and other people who are responsible for these big websites are very wealthy (wealthier than the average person), and good luck to anyone trying to stop them.
I just don’t think it’s possible. The internet is everything nowadays.
Old 12-24-2011 at 11:25 AM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
I don't think that's going to happen. If they do shut down the internet, that means that people can NOT use Facebook, YouTube, twitter, etc.

Mark zuckerberg, and other people who are responsible for these big websites are very wealthy (wealthier than the average person), and good luck to anyone trying to stop them.
I just don’t think it’s possible. The internet is everything nowadays.
Did you watch the video?

candyman likes this.
Old 12-24-2011 at 11:44 AM   #4
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Did you watch the video?
No I did not , I just read the article
Old 12-24-2011 at 11:57 AM   #5
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

please watch the whole video after you read my little paragraph On what i think about this . Shits crazy

jim1 likes this.
Old 12-24-2011 at 12:12 PM   #6
darklink121

Liked: 59 Times

To continue what Reda posted, I saw another video that talks about SOPA and how Hollywood, politicians and other big corporations want to monopolize the internet for their own greed and political agenda.

PS- I hope people don't laugh at me for watching this guy when it comes to reviewing fail toys

*spark*, jim1, Pay919, Reda like this.
Old 12-24-2011 at 12:56 PM   #7
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

You're being a bit hyperbolic, SOPA is bad, but it won't actually do what you're saying

forever0zero, jim1 like this.
Old 12-24-2011 at 03:06 PM   #8
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

21 minutes!? screw it! just let em take the interwebz away

jim1 likes this.
Old 12-24-2011 at 05:53 PM   #9
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

The problem with SOPA is that it gives Hollywood pretty much the same power as a federal judge when it comes to the takedown of websites. I read the actual document (can be viewed on congress website) a while ago..it has probably been altered since then..but it is extremely vague about exactly what protections websites have against this power to take down/block any website domain name (not IP).

There is also mounting pressure from companies such as google, kaperski, facebook, and a ton of others. Go Daddy inc recently announced that they were pulling all support from this bill after redditors created godaddyboycott.org resulting in over 21000 domains lost in a single day and Wikipedia head announced that they would be moving away from go daddy due to their support of SOPA. Microsoft completely reversed its stance from support to quietly moving against them. Sony has announced that serious revisions have to be made.

Just before the last major congressional vote on SOPA a US congressman started a petition which became the front page reddit, 4chan, piratebay, and even wiki, resulting in a massive number of signatures. That combined with some devious work on behalf of a few congressman have stalled the vote till the new year

we shall see what happens though

-Ish-, Amaryll, RyanC like this.
Old 12-24-2011 at 10:20 PM   #10
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

To be fairly honest, I believe SOPA will fail. The internet is a hydra - no matter how many heads you chop off, more will grow in their place.

You cannot contain the internet.

jim1 likes this.
Old 12-25-2011 at 03:28 AM   #11
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post

There is also mounting pressure from companies such as google, kaperski, facebook, and a ton of others. Go Daddy inc recently announced that they were pulling all support from this bill after redditors created godaddyboycott.org resulting in over 21000 domains lost in a single day and
Could you direct me to where exactly godaddy withdrew their support for SOPA?
Old 12-25-2011 at 04:09 AM   #12
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
but it is extremely vague about exactly what protections websites have against this power to take down/block any website domain name (not IP).
Lol, I watched a session probably a week and half ago where the anti-SOPA representatives suggested amending the Act so that it requires a court order (hard evidence) in order to be invoked; that way the Act won't be one-sided. They rambled on for a couple hours. Eventually, two of the pro-SOPA reps. agreed that requiring a court order was a good idea. A couple minutes later they called a vote to see who supported the ammendment. Those same pro-SOPA people said they didn't support it....I don't understand these people

Old 12-26-2011 at 02:50 AM   #13
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
To be fairly honest, I believe SOPA will fail. The internet is a hydra - no matter how many heads you chop off, more will grow in their place.

A much as I'd love to believe this, something's going to happen and some censorship will happen. what happens after, however, we must wait it out.
Old 12-26-2011 at 09:16 PM   #14
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatmac View Post
Could you direct me to where exactly godaddy withdrew their support for SOPA?
originally read it on BBC, then CNET. one quick search of google news and heres a washinton post article:
http://www.washingtonpost.co m/busi...QAlVy1DP_story

theres also a ton others.

ANOTHER thing most people dont consider is that this will not stop piracy because while extraordinary powerful, it lacks the ability to block an IP, only a domain name. SO if they block the domain, all an advanced user has to do is input the IP address of pirate bay servers to gain access to the website. Now this may seem difficult BUT there are already addons for browsers (chrome/firefox) that bypass domain names using IP addresses.

Last edited by qwerty91 : 12-26-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-27-2011 at 08:14 PM   #15
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary View Post

Your metaphors and one line absolutist statements are nice and all, and certainly I agree with you to some extent, but do you think stunting the internet is worth the tradeoff of not worrying about this or persuing raising awareness?