MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet Troubles... britb General Discussion 14 10-19-2010 08:20 AM
Internet on res Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 09-04-2010 04:53 PM
Internet in Res Ruggedman Residence & Housing 40 09-25-2008 11:45 PM
Internet in Res Chad General Discussion 26 08-18-2007 03:25 PM

Internet Cap

Old 09-29-2008 at 11:15 PM   #1
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Internet Cap
Does anyone know how to bypass the internet cap limit, after you go over the download limit?

Please don't give any obvious answers (ie. wait for a day)
Old 09-30-2008 at 09:46 AM   #2
jov12

Liked: 0 Times

you use to be able to change your M.A.C address making the network think your computer was different, therefore giving you a new ip. but now with that sign in policy, you can only sign in 2 different computers, so google how to change your M.A.C address and remember what you changed it to later. If you dont wanna do that, get your roommate to set up a wireless connection. Also they seemed to have raised the cap this year to above 1 gig
Old 09-30-2008 at 09:53 AM   #3
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

lol what were u downloading thas over 2 gigs?

This is why DC++ is created...so u dont deal with these problems

Old 10-06-2008 at 03:32 PM   #4
thatdudeukno

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post

This is why DC++ is created...so u dont deal with these problems
New content dude. Torrents, usenet etc.
Old 10-08-2008 at 03:46 AM   #5
Omas

haha pwned !
Old 10-10-2008 at 04:24 PM   #6
Kevin S.
Rigid Member

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
pr0n, obviously.
Old 11-10-2008 at 11:51 PM   #7
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

I know this is old but... they cap internet now?
Old 11-11-2008 at 12:29 AM   #8
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

It's the new trend, all the cool ISPs are doing it.

They also have internet on computers now, David
Old 11-11-2008 at 09:18 AM   #9
gregster

I don't think there's a cap on wifi (Macconnect).
Old 11-12-2008 at 12:11 AM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Every internet ISP caps bandwidth these days :( ...including Cogeco whom we're using at my place and just about every student house around Mac. At least our cap is bigger than 2GB
Old 11-12-2008 at 12:16 AM   #11
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

let's just hope the gov starts seriously looking into things like net neutrality, and then takes a look at internet caps too.

bandwith throttling for excessive use is slightly understandable, but selective throttling based on what i'm downloading is not something i support (not talking about Mac here, more Bell/Rogers type service)
Old 11-12-2008 at 12:57 AM   #12
a-max

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevennevets View Post
let's just hope the gov starts seriously looking into things like net neutrality, and then takes a look at internet caps too.

bandwith throttling for excessive use is slightly understandable, but selective throttling based on what i'm downloading is not something i support (not talking about Mac here, more Bell/Rogers type service)
I don't think ISPs are at the point where they can analyze your packets and selectively throttle based on the content (like pr0ns or communist literature or w/e) Right now its more the type of protocol you use, like bittorrent that's throttled.

The thing ISPs are pushing for is to throttle access to websites they don't fancy to the point it becomes just a hassle to even try. They're aiming for something like you subscribe to one service provider and you get super fast access to all the websites they have signed deals with (eg. sign up for bell, get MSN search only, sign up for rogers and get yahoo search only). So basically it will be a cable TV like service, but for internet.

**** that, i say
Old 11-12-2008 at 09:13 AM   #13
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
I don't think ISPs are at the point where they can analyze your packets and selectively throttle based on the content.
I'm pretty sure at least Comcast in the US has this ability. At least from what I remember reading on some US sites.

As far as throttling goes, they say they do it to make it fair to everyone. The problem with that is, if you give Joe the Plumber 60 gigs a month and he only uses 2 gigs, you've just made a "profit" of 58 gigs.

I think it's BS. In Japan the bandwidth cap is 30 gigs per month. But only upstream. Then again Japanese ISPs aren't afraid of actually implementing the latest technologies so that the customer is king. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...0gb-daily.html

In Canada, it seems telco's and ISPs are screwing the customer every way they can and they're allowed to.
Old 11-12-2008 at 09:43 AM   #14
gregster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
In Japan the bandwidth cap is 30 gigs per month. But only upstream.
30GB per day.
Old 11-12-2008 at 09:57 AM   #15
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-max View Post
I don't think ISPs are at the point where they can analyze your packets and selectively throttle based on the content (like pr0ns or communist literature or w/e) Right now its more the type of protocol you use, like bittorrent that's throttled.

The thing ISPs are pushing for is to throttle access to websites they don't fancy to the point it becomes just a hassle to even try. They're aiming for something like you subscribe to one service provider and you get super fast access to all the websites they have signed deals with (eg. sign up for bell, get MSN search only, sign up for rogers and get yahoo search only). So basically it will be a cable TV like service, but for internet.

**** that, i say
yeah, that's what i meant Bell always used to throttle me if i was doing any kind of torrent downloading... and I had the unlimited downloads, "Ultra High Speed" plan...

and i'm really worried that as some people are saying, it'll be the "end of the internet" if the ISPs get that. because it would completely change the whole nature of the net. let's hope Obama goes through with his net neutrality, and other countries follow...