MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet Troubles... britb General Discussion 14 10-19-2010 08:20 AM
Internet on res Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 09-04-2010 04:53 PM
Internet Cap Allan Residence & Housing 28 11-22-2008 05:03 PM
Internet in Res Chad General Discussion 26 08-18-2007 03:25 PM

Internet in Res

Old 08-02-2008 at 11:47 PM   #1
Ruggedman

Liked: 0 Times

Internet in Res
Quick Question: Does McMaster U. have wireless internet in the residences or in any other area in the school.

And are programs such as limewire blocked?
Old 08-03-2008 at 12:41 AM   #2
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Most residences don't have wireless. I'm not sure if the big LP does but if so I think it's the only one. You have LAN internet in residence.

Wireless is available in practically every other building on campus. There are signs on the walls that say "MacConnect Wireless" and thats how you know you can get wireless. You need to download Clean Access Agent in order to use the wireless but it will prompt you to download it the first time you try to connect.

Programs like Limewire are not blocked, but you probably won't need it as often as you'll have access to DC ++ which is much faster as you're all on the same server.

Old 08-03-2008 at 01:13 AM   #3
Ruggedman

Thanks for the insight. And what is DC++ just to get a little more detail out of this.
Old 08-03-2008 at 09:07 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

It's a file-sharing program. More info will be coming up in the form of an article soon!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-03-2008 at 09:50 AM   #5
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Here's a list of wireless coverage on campus: http://www.mcmaster.ca/uts/network/w...lscoverage.htm

Old 08-03-2008 at 07:39 PM   #6
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

You can read my description of DC if you'd like: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...1898 8&page=2

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the address on DC for mac users was machub.dyndns.org. You just type that in the first time and set it to automatic start up so you don't have to type it in again. That was the address for last year and 3 years ago. 2 years ago they changed it for some reason to hub2.dyndns.org. The address for this year will be listed and mentioned by word of mouth soon after welcome weeks starts
Old 08-03-2008 at 07:45 PM   #7
katrinabell

Liked: 19 Times

Does Mac provide us with the cables/cords/whatever we need to plug into the outlets for internet in our rooms or do we have to bring those?
Old 08-03-2008 at 07:45 PM   #8
mitch
Elite Member

Oh and yes, there is wireless internet in Les Prince, but only in the common room and the study room, of which there are two of each on every floor. I think that it worked in some of the rooms that were close, mine didn't work in my room. It was ok most of the time, but had some issues with not working periodically. And just in case you didn't know, they provide an ethernet cable to everyone for wired internet in your room, so you don't have to bring one.

The only device that will work with the wireless internet are computers or other media that are able to download Cisco Client. This is an extra security device to make sure you belong to Mac when you're using it. So any wireless gaming systems or similar wireless items will not be able to connect to the internet.
Old 08-03-2008 at 08:27 PM   #9
dragonfly

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Do they give you a pretty long Ethernet cord? Long enough to plug it in and use your computer from your bed, if your bed isn't close to the connection.
Old 08-03-2008 at 08:47 PM   #10
mitch
Elite Member

I don't remember exactly how long they are, but last year my friend and I got two wires of differing sizes. They're not crazy short, but they're not 20 feet long. In Matthews Hall I was able to bring it to my bed, but not in Hedden or Les Prince. But that also depends on the type and layout of the room you get, so it varies. Hope that helps.

dragonfly says thanks to mitch for this post.
Old 08-10-2008 at 11:57 AM   #11
Bibo

Would it be possible to connect the cord to a router in your room to get wireless?
Old 08-10-2008 at 12:43 PM   #12
mitch
Elite Member

I forgot to mention this in my first post. Do not bring a router to rez! There are many places for wireless internet around campus, so there's no need for one. They're against the rules for a good reason. They screw up the internet connection within the residence and then you'll get in trouble. In my first year, a person on my floor used his own router, and caused the entire internet connection to shut down causing a wide spread panic! It was fixed fast, but they were told to not use it anymore. Trust me, they're not needed.

And if you were thinking that perhaps the residence has a router already there for you to use, they don't. Internet is a wired connection into the wall, and some residences have wireless internet, but not many.
Old 08-10-2008 at 05:01 PM   #13
dragonfly

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Hmm when i was at Welcome Day the guy at the internet info desk in the Student Centre said that they are not giving us ethernet cords. But other people have said that we *are* getting them. Does anyone know for sure?
Old 08-10-2008 at 05:06 PM   #14
mitch
Elite Member

Hmm, was that internet guy part of MacConnect? Perhaps they are not going to give out ethernet cables this year. I doubt that though. Every student requires a cable for their rez. Sometimes you find the ethernet cable in a drawer in your room when you first arrive. If you don't have one, I'd go to MacConnect or wherever the internet place is to ask for one. Last year it was in the lobby of Mary Keyes, and if you asked for it they'd give you one.
Old 08-10-2008 at 05:23 PM   #15
mitch
Elite Member

Ok, so I've looked on the MacOnline website (not MacConnect) and they specifically state that they will provide the ethernet cables if you require them. Take a look HERE
It's the 4th question from the top: "How do I get a network card and cable?"

Answer: The RJ45 cable (ethernet cable) can be obtained free from MacOnline during move in. Technicians will also be available during move in to assist students with set up and installation.

I hope that clears things up. I don't know why that internet guy said they won't provide you with the cables.

dragonfly says thanks to mitch for this post.