MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
timetable troubles megg.noelle First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-19-2010 01:21 PM
Meal Plan Troubles siefer1322 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 03-28-2010 02:35 PM
Conversion from 12-point scale to 4.0 troubles dynast Academics 36 02-02-2010 10:08 PM
alcohol troubles !! macbaby07 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-01-2009 11:42 AM
Online Games Troubles Connecting SugarySnack Residence & Housing 13 12-25-2008 08:09 PM

Internet Troubles...

Old 10-12-2010 at 08:07 AM   #1
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Internet Troubles...
So, I haven't been able to get internet access at school for a couple of weeks now and I'm pretty frustrated.

I can connect to the MacConnect network just fine, but can't load any internet pages (no internet access). The diagnostic says "Windows cannot connect to DNS server (primary source)". No idea how to fix that.

I'm running Windows 7 on an HP laptop and it worked fine earlier in September and all through summer school. The most recent things I've done is delete the Cisco thing that we're not supposed to need and change my internet provider at home.

Can anyone help? I'm fed up with nothing go my way.
Old 10-12-2010 at 08:19 AM   #2
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

I'm not the best with software issues, but wouldn't a system restore to a few weeks back fix the problem?
Old 10-12-2010 at 08:47 AM   #3
mtam

Liked: 4 Times

Take yr laptop to tech support - they're v. helpful. I think they're in BSB but I'm not certain.
Old 10-12-2010 at 10:28 AM   #4
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

i have the exact same problem. I could get online all year last year and all through the summer. Since september I have only been able to get online once in a class room. I know in some classrooms no one can get on but other times I can see people online and I can't. It always shows I'm connected but IE/firefox won't load and just says no connection. I never see the mac login screen. The only place I can get online for sure is at the cafe in HH.

I do see many other people with the same problem. Countless numbers of times I have been trying to get online and can't and after looking around at some other screens I see people running connection repairs with no luck but the someone three rows ahead are online just fine.

If you figure it out I'm interested to knowwhat the issue is, likewise if i figure it out I'll post it too
Old 10-12-2010 at 11:52 AM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Try chrome, see if that works.
Old 10-12-2010 at 01:58 PM   #6
REPLEKIA/.

http://library.mcmaster.ca/faq/wirel...ork-macconnect
This is the macconnect FAQ page for dealing with problems. There seems to be a lot of them connected with CISCO products.

Also, try updating the microsoft vpn client

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Try chrome, see if that works.
Seriously? The problem they have is that there is NO INTERNET through the connection. It's most likely a configuration/hardware issue. your suggestion is paramount to the following

person A: "I'm out of cereal"
you: "Try a different bowl"
Old 10-12-2010 at 02:01 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Try the link posted in the above post. And if that still doesn't work, go to the UTS office in BSB. http://www.mcmaster.ca/uts/serviceca...n=0&menu=dummy
Old 10-12-2010 at 02:06 PM   #8
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Try the link posted in the above post. And if that still doesn't work, go to the UTS office in BSB. http://www.mcmaster.ca/uts/serviceca...n=0&menu=dummy
However the tech support is charged @ $75 dollars an hour... So try to fix it on your own.

Edit: have you tried reinstalling your cisco manager? It probably managed your internet settings for you and removing it may have caused your problem.
Old 10-12-2010 at 02:44 PM   #9
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Well, can you connect to wireless internet elsewhere? If so, it's probaby a problem with the school. When I had this problem, I called the operator (Dial McMaster and press 0) and asked them.

Me: Why can't I connect to the wireless?
Them: We're experiencing technical difficulties right now. It should be fixed soon.

Then again...that was only for one day...so IDK. Call the operator and ask to be directed to where they take care of technical difficulties.
Old 10-12-2010 at 03:13 PM   #10
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

maybe try updating your drivers for your wireless card ?
Old 10-12-2010 at 05:49 PM   #11
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

Click Start>Run and type in cmd, hit enter.
At command prompt type:
Code:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
That will reset your TCP/IP.

Then also at command prompt type:
Code:
ipconfig /flushdns
That will flush your DNS cache.

REPLEKIA/. says thanks to Carefree for this post.
Old 10-12-2010 at 10:18 PM   #12
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Gonna try to reinstall VPN...we'll see what happens on campus.

So, what's flushing the DNS mean/do? Sorry, I'm totally a n00b when it comes to the internet/network aspect - my dad does that part...I just type, print, surf and generally wreck the thing.

Last edited by britb : 10-12-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2010 at 10:39 PM   #13
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
i completely thought u posted a fake link cuz it ends in "dummy"....lol
Old 10-12-2010 at 10:57 PM   #14
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I'm not sure but flushing your DNS cache probably won't fix the problem if it has been occurring for a few weeks now.
The first piece of code posted though may fix it but leave it as a last resort: http://support.microsoft.com /kb/299357 (theres a link there to download a Fix it Wizard which does everything automatically if your wary of typing it in yourself lol)

Have you tried connecting to MacSecure instead? Can you connect at home currently?

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 10-12-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2010 at 08:20 AM   #15
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Fixed it (it seems)! First I tried both Command prompts, they didn't work. Then I went online and would out how to change TCP/IP settings in Windows 7 and do so for both IPv6 and IPV4. It turns out I have preferred DNS servers listed (I THINK I installed them when setting up my printer at home) that do not exist on campus.

I'll let you know if I breaks down again...I'm cautiously excited, lol.

Thanks for your help everyone. Seriously, you guys really know your computers.