MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet Troubles... britb General Discussion 14 10-19-2010 08:20 AM
Meal Plan Troubles siefer1322 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 03-28-2010 02:35 PM
Conversion from 12-point scale to 4.0 troubles dynast Academics 36 02-02-2010 10:08 PM
alcohol troubles !! macbaby07 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-01-2009 11:42 AM
Online Games Troubles Connecting SugarySnack Residence & Housing 13 12-25-2008 08:09 PM

timetable troubles

Old 06-18-2010 at 02:56 PM   #1
megg.noelle

Liked: 3 Times

timetable troubles
hi!
so im attempting to make a mock timetable but im not sure if im doing it right. mine seems to be much simpler when compared to others that ive seen so im wondering if i might be missing something or if im doing it wrong. i also have some courses that are only 50 minutes on my timetable (psych 1x03, english 1aa3,peace st 1a03, and english 1cs3) and i thought that courses were normally a couple hours.
any advice/explanations/help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: doc term one schedule.doc (45.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: doc term two schedule.doc (44.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-18-2010 at 03:08 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Most courses have 2-3 50min lectures per week, from :30-:20...Most of your courses only appear to have one. Are you sure you read the master timetable correctly?

I noticed you have three locations for psych 1XX3--how come?

(I'd check the master timetable myself, but my internet is being sketchy...)

Last edited by nerual : 06-18-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2010 at 03:23 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Okay, my internet is (sort of) cooperating...

Term 1:
For Eng 1CS3, it has lectures Tues & Fri from 12:30-1:20, but you have something scheduled for Thursday...

For Psych 1X03 and Inquiry, there are multiple cores so there's no guarantee you'll get the one you want, especially if other ones fit your schedule too. It's fine to pencil in the ones you want, but keep in mind there's a good chance you'll get a different one. The same goes for pretty much all of your tutorials in both terms.

Term 2:
For Peace studies, there are lectures Mon & Wed from 1:30-2:20...so I'm not sure where your Wed 8:30 came from. Same thing for English 1AA3--lectures are Tues & Fri 12:30-1:20, so I'm not sure why you have Tues 1:30-2:20. Your night classes look fine though--I hope you're a night person! lol

megg.noelle says thanks to nerual for this post.

megg.noelle likes this.
Old 06-19-2010
megg.noelle
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-19-2010 at 12:26 AM   #4
megg.noelle

thanks so much for the help!!!! i definitely wasnt reading the timetable right which is why everything started going wrong.After i searched a course i would just pick any one from the list that fit into my timetable (ex. english 1aa3 on tues.).
I still dont quite understand the "comp" column on the timetable. Whats the difference between something that starts with a C and something that starts with a T. It seems that i should only be choosing the ones that begin with C (because when i picked T i ended up with english 1aa3 on tuesday), but im not sure why this is. And why is there C01, C02, C03...? should i be choosing more than one of them?or do i have to follow them in order?
I also tried to fix the problems i had before in my timetable,but if someone could take another look at it just to make sure i didnt miss anything (psych 1x03 still seems like a short class) that would be wonderful
Attached Files
File Type: doc term one schedule.doc (45.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: doc term two schedule.doc (45.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-19-2010 at 12:32 AM   #5
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Under the comp column you have things starting with C which are lectures, T which are tutorials and L which are labs. So your course has C's and T's then you'll be registered in a lecture and a tutorial.
The C01, C02, C03... stuff is just different sections for the course. It's because the course is large and they have different times that are available for people to take the course because sometimes one lecture time doesn't fit your schedule but another one does. You don't have to follow them in order, just choose the one that fits with your other courses.

megg.noelle likes this.
Old 06-19-2010 at 10:22 AM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

psych 1X03 is 'short' because there are online lectures. We had one 'review' class with the TA, where the TA would go over the lecture material, and then 1 tutorial...they might have changed it since then, but I'm pretty sure you still have the online lectures.

Your schedule still looks kind of 'empty', but I'm pretty sure that's just because you haven't put tutorials in there (because there's no way to know which one you'll get), and because you have a LOT of night classes, which tend to free up your schedule during the day. I think everything looks right, though

megg.noelle likes this.
Old 06-19-2010 at 10:44 AM   #7
megg.noelle

Once again thanks SO much!
Can someone just tell me the difference between a lecture and a tutorial? (sorry, its probably obvious to everyone else but i hve no idea).
Also when my timetable was empty because i didnt put tutorials in it...am i supposed to pick some out like classes:S cause i though i was only supposed to have 15 units per term which is what i have?
I'm sorry about all the questions but i REALLY appreciate all the help!
you guys are awesome!
Old 06-19-2010 at 12:26 PM   #8
bieneres

Liked: 2 Times

the "Comp" section on solar are the class's components.. you have to choose a "C"for the main course (ie the lecture), but for most classes you will not get the opportunity to pick your own tutorial "T" or lab "L". Its a good idea though to pick out ones that you would prefer because you might be able to switch it around later.
The lecture is the part of the class where the prof teaches and students take notes, ask questions etc. Everyone enrolled in the class must attend these, and they usually are two times a week for one hour each, though it does vary.
Tutorials are smaller groups and led by a TA (teacher's assistant), and are usually around 15-20 students in these. In humanities tutorials, you are usually given weekly readings and must participate in a discussion involving the readings or course material for your participation grade for the course.

megg.noelle says thanks to bieneres for this post.
Old 06-19-2010 at 12:56 PM   #9
megg.noelle

OH! thanks for clarifying that for me okay so now that makes a lot more sense. so when i register on solar, do i need to choose some tutorials? or will they assign them to me?
Old 06-19-2010 at 01:21 PM   #10
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by megg.noelle View Post
OH! thanks for clarifying that for me okay so now that makes a lot more sense. so when i register on solar, do i need to choose some tutorials? or will they assign them to me?
They assign core/labs/tutorial slots for you. But you can change them to your liking when your personal timetable is released (9th August I think)

The only things you are going to do on Solar will be picking your courses and the term you want them to be in.

megg.noelle says thanks to Serene for this post.