MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Websites getting shutdown Rakim General Discussion 4 02-01-2011 11:05 PM
Internet on res Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 09-04-2010 04:53 PM
Internet Cap Allan Residence & Housing 28 11-22-2008 05:03 PM

Corporations trying to shutdown the internet

Old 12-27-2011 at 09:08 PM   #16
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 327 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatmac View Post
Could you direct me to where exactly godaddy withdrew their support for SOPA?
Here. 12chars.
Old 12-27-2011 at 10:21 PM   #17
EngStud

Liked: 30 Times

America is a plutocracy, so if you want to fight SOPA than donate to the lobbyists who fight it.

Last edited by EngStud : 12-27-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-28-2011 at 02:44 PM   #18
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Your metaphors and one line absolutist statements are nice and all, and certainly I agree with you to some extent, but do you think stunting the internet is worth the tradeoff of not worrying about this or persuing raising awareness?
Well, crumbs, I didn't want to be an absolutist - I'm not even quite sure what I had in mind as I wrote that. As far as caring about anything else, I'm going to have to be a horrible person and say I am vaguely indifferent.

Perhaps it would be best for me to extricate myself from this topic, tout de suite.
Old 12-28-2011 at 04:12 PM   #19
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

It's not going to pass... no need to be an alarmist. The politicians may be old, decrepit and corrupt, but you forget power > money. They'd rather keep their positions then take that $10,000 cheque from the lobbyist groups paying them. The amount of support against SOPA and PROTECTIP is absolutely astounding and it'll be a cold day in hell when a politician chooses not to get elected again, or ever for that matter for a simple bribe. Any rival politician just has to say "If you elect me, i'll change SOPA!" and bam, they're in, and the other guys are out.

With that said, yes, we all should be very concerned about this type of thing, and i'm ecstatic about the enlightening of our youth regarding internet censorship and it being a real issue for the future, but come on, get realistic, even if this bill were to pass, it wouldn't be the end of the world that some of us are making it out to be. You'll still be able to use facebook, twitter etc. Could it be bad? Yeah. But come on, what does a hollywood company care about disallowing you from going to cnn.com or wikipedia LOL.

Yes, i get the whole "but they CAN, they CAN! they have the power to!". I don't mean to be all conspiracy theorist-y, but i wouldn't doubt if they already have powers like that considering the wealth distribution in this world. Fun fact, the top 1% of the tax bracket in the US owns 40% of the wealth, and you're telling me with all that power they are going through traditional and democratic ways to pass bills publicly? HAH.

jim1 likes this.