MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horizon Utilities Question ShouldBeStudying Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 3 09-09-2010 10:16 PM
Horizon Utilities ShouldBeStudying Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 12 05-03-2010 03:16 PM
Utilities mike_302 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 10 01-10-2010 08:49 PM

Cost of Utilities

Old 08-24-2010 at 08:02 PM   #16
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
That's something you have to discuss with your roommates. Tell them to put a password on the internet if they don't trust you. They SHOULD password protect their router anyways, otherwise your neighbours can steal your bandwidth.

But I agree, you shouldn't have to pay for internet you don't use.
Hey off topic, but we have a girl in the basement (locked off from our house) who was using our internet and barely paid for it (its wireless, we gave her the password cause we though shed pay) she gaves us like $40 for 4 months. She says shes got her own internet now, but how do we know shes not still using ours? We cant figure out how to change the password (the people on the phone at Cogeco didnt help), im sure its probably easy enough, do you know how?
Thanks
Old 08-24-2010 at 08:11 PM   #17
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Here is probably how to change the password:

1) Makes sure you're connected to the wireless, and go into your web-browser and type http://192.168.0.1 (might be http://192.168.1.1)
If a thing comes up asking for your username and password, this is good

2) Enter the following for username and password; Username: admin, Password: admin
The username could also be blank, 'user' or 'default'. If none work, just gimme the model of your router, and I can figure it out.

3) A control page will come up. Look for wireless security. NOTE: If your security is set to WEP, change it to WPA or WPA2. WEP is very easily hackable (like a 10 year old kid can do it).

4) Save changes, and you're good

Note: If your housemate person or w/e has WEP security, get someone to hack it and use their internet for a while to make it even .
Old 08-24-2010 at 08:16 PM   #18
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Here is probably how to change the password:

1) Makes sure you're connected to the wireless, and go into your web-browser and type http://192.168.0.1 (might be http://192.168.1.1)
If a thing comes up asking for your username and password, this is good

2) Enter the following for username and password; Username: admin, Password: admin
The username could also be blank, 'user' or 'default'. If none work, just gimme the model of your router, and I can figure it out.

3) A control page will come up. Look for wireless security. NOTE: If your security is set to WEP, change it to WPA or WPA2. WEP is very easily hackable (like a 10 year old kid can do it).

4) Save changes, and you're good

Note: If your housemate person or w/e has WEP security, get someone to hack it and use their internet for a while to make it even .
Is this just your clever fun way of changing the password? Or is there a more legitimate kinda way
Old 08-24-2010 at 08:18 PM   #19
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

No, this is seriously the only way lol. This is how you do it for all Linksys/D-Link router... and probably almost all of the others out there.
Old 08-24-2010 at 08:21 PM   #20
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Also, you might want to change the default username and password (from 'admin' and 'admin') to something else, to keep the random in the basement from screwing up your account
Old 08-24-2010 at 08:22 PM   #21
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Quote:
No, this is seriously the only way lol. This is how you do it for all Linksys/D-Link router... and probably almost all of the others out there.
Well awesome, I think our router is Linksys. Im gonna ask my housemates permission before I do anything.
Thanks!
Old 08-24-2010 at 10:44 PM   #22
belindz!

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Or if you don't want to risk your friendship...I know a house of all friends that had mega issues because of this. I would think it would be easier to talk to the person about it if they're your friend, but it could backfire too, I guess.
The friends I'm living with are all fine with using an appropriate amount of internet though...for us, it was just the one random in the house
It pretty much comes down to whether or not you trust the people you'd be sharing with to not steal from you, and/or to not share your password with people who would use a ton of your bandwidth.

nah were all a bunch of randoms (poo) i really dont mind the password and whatnot thanks a lot
Old 08-26-2010 at 05:43 PM   #23
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Yup, pretty much the only way to 100% change it.