MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I take level 2 courses as level 1 electives? alexli_5 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 10-02-2012 12:46 PM
Level 2/Level 3 Question smojer Academics 2 05-31-2011 12:38 AM
Level 1 vs. Level 2 courses in SPRING/SUMMER term maki Academics 6 03-21-2011 11:55 AM

Could I get into level 2?

Old 03-01-2014 at 09:00 AM   #1
kakarot

Liked: 6 Times

Could I get into level 2?
So i've been reinstated and was to start this January. However due to some financial problems
I couldn't and now i'm thinking about starting this summer(i will have enough money by then).
My question is : If i finish all my requisites (4-5 in summer at Mac and the rest at athabasca) before
August , will they let me start in Level 2 from Sept. ? Assuming I have a decent average like 10 or 11.

If not, then what are my alternatives ? I would most definitely finish my 1st year courses by August so
what would I do the rest of the academic term (from Sept to april).
Thanks
Old 03-02-2014 at 07:58 AM   #2
kakarot

anybody?
Old 03-02-2014 at 08:21 AM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

This is a question for an academic advisor.
Old 03-02-2014 at 12:13 PM   #4
kakarot

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
This is a question for an academic advisor.
i'll get in touch ... thanks though
i'll delete this thread in a while
Old 03-02-2014 at 01:24 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

The only problem is that you have to complete all required courses before the summer aka in term 2 since end of term 2 is when decisions are made and summer grades do not factor
Old 03-02-2014 at 08:44 PM   #6
kakarot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
The only problem is that you have to complete all required courses before the summer aka in term 2 since end of term 2 is when decisions are made and summer grades do not factor
Can't I get a conditional offer , if I plead my case? Also do the programs in Term 2 are filled completely
by the end of term 2 or are there still empty spaces left (Software) ?

I know that Academic advisors are whom i should be asking these questions to , i have emailed them
and will go for a appointment as well , but i'm really stressed and would like your opinions
Old 03-02-2014 at 08:50 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Talk to sally she is the best councillor and does try to help you. But to my knowledge no. Im just extending my experience cause I took summer courses to boost my year1 grade and on the sheet it clearly says summer does not factor.
Old 03-02-2014 at 10:04 PM   #8
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

You will get a conditional acceptance. Just filled in your program choice, the system does this automatically.

If you have not completed 31 units, then they evaluate your average and multiply that by 31 units. This is now your score to get into the program you want. Since you are reinstated, only courses completed since the start of the reinstatement to April will applied.

After summer semester ended and the grade are posted, Sally will lift the restriction and you can start to apply for your program courses. This happen around middle of August. Due to the late registration, you most likely won't get into the easy electives (if you need to take one for 2nd year). However, all your mandatory courses will have guarantee space for you.

If you do not get into the program you want, you can also apply to a wait list. Software engineering never seems to run out of room so you won't have a problem if that is your first choice.

Other than that, the only advice I will leave you is to direct future questions like these to the appropriate staff. In this case, your academic advisor. Too many students are using this site and disregarding official resources when it comes to important matter as these.
Old 03-02-2014 at 10:28 PM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

The only problem is that the requirement is a pass in every course. Being reinstated means your record is wiped
Old 03-02-2014 at 10:40 PM   #10
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Your record isn't wiped completely. They let you keep courses that were 4+. The course grade won't affect your cumulative average but they will fulfilled your degree requirement. The letter of reinstatement would have listed these courses for him. He only mentioned that he needed to complete 4-5 requisite courses so I just assumed he knew what he was referring to.
Old 03-02-2014 at 10:45 PM   #11
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

You are correct you keep all the course marks that are above 4. But he did say he's missing 4-5 courses. You can only take 4 courses max in summer and they still don't count. But again ask sally
Old 03-02-2014 at 10:49 PM   #12
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

You can take more than 4 courses in the summer. They let you overload in the summer just like how they let you overload during regular semester. Just have to convince them that it is a good idea and that you can take it.

Sally is like that dirty accountant that all the mobsters rely on. Just talk to her and she will amaze you at what she can pull off or let you get off.
Old 03-03-2014 at 10:35 AM   #13
kakarot

Sorry for not including all the info. I have 2 courses that i passed (5 and a 6). Also I dropped 2 courses during Term 1 (the year i was kicked out).
I'm hoping that even if I'm not allowed to overload then maybe they'll accept Athabasca courses in place of them.
I have an appointment later this week. Hope everything works out.
Old 03-03-2014 at 11:17 AM   #14
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Do whatever you want to do. My opinion is that with 8 courses left, you might as well start in September. Work your ass off and you could save a ton of money to not have to worry for your first year. Split 8 courses evenly and it will guarantee that your average will be high and be accepted in any programs afterward.

Or you can just attempt doing it all in the summer. The chances of you completing 8 courses in 4 months while keeping a high average is pretty low. I would rather buy a lottery ticket than betting on you.
Old 03-03-2014 at 09:16 PM   #15
kakarot

I had a walk-in with an advisor and she told me that I can't get a LOP to register in
online courses since i'm on academic probation(because of reinstatement). I was also told that I have to finish my Level 1 courses at Mac itself and only then will I be allowed to do online courses(the pre-approved ones) . Any thoughts?
I understand that it will be extremely hard and winning a lottery will be more likely but I would've liked atleast a fighting chance.