MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
applying to level II+summer courses luna Academics 6 02-26-2011 06:33 AM
Spring/Summer Term Durations jimboslice First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-23-2010 04:23 PM
Spring/Summer 2010 Term Timetable dchan28 MacInsiders Announcements 7 02-08-2010 08:43 PM
GPA avg, level II courses xo.monica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 12-06-2009 03:27 PM
Spring/Summer Term Deegs14 Academics 14 11-09-2009 03:17 PM

Level 1 vs. Level 2 courses in SPRING/SUMMER term

Old 03-20-2011 at 11:08 PM   #1
maki

Liked: 2 Times

Level 1 vs. Level 2 courses in SPRING/SUMMER term
Hello, I'm just finishing my Level 1 courses this month and I'm just wondering whether anyone can give me some constructive feedback on whether to take, if you had a choice Level 2 courses during the summer or stick with some Level 1 electives during the summer and start taking the Level 2 courses in September?
Thank you.:rolley es:
Old 03-21-2011 at 01:34 AM   #2
epikness

Liked: 37 Times

it depends on the program u anticipate urself to be enrolled in, in sept. for many hon sci programs, stats is listed as a course u must complete. so stats can be sth that can be done with over the summer.
u can also look at courses that are time-consuming (depending on ur program), and if they are offered over the summer, u can do those, and have more "room" in 2nd year...

u could also try some electives, but there aren't many listed this year.
one thing to keep in mind is that whatever course u take over the summer, do some research on the prof who is teaching it. if the prof is crappy, then there is no point imo to take that class and waste ur summer (bearing in mind classes are 3 hrs).
Old 03-21-2011 at 06:01 AM   #3
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Dunno if it depends on the faculty, but when I took second year courses in the summer I had to get a waiver approved before I could enroll in them.
Old 03-21-2011 at 10:05 AM   #4
ruby101

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Dunno if it depends on the faculty, but when I took second year courses in the summer I had to get a waiver approved before I could enroll in them.
Really , I didnt know that :( . So do I need to get permission for every courses or just commerce courses ?
Old 03-21-2011 at 10:10 AM   #5
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

I wanted to take a level II health studies course a few summers ago, because I was still technically in level I I had to go to the health studies office to get a waiver, they did it no problem. Best bet would be to go to the faculty's office to see what you need to do.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 03-21-2011 at 11:47 AM   #6
maki

Liked: 2 Times

Thanks for the replies...
Just to clarify...I'm in Humanities and will be taking either History and Political Science courses so if anyone has taken Level 2 History or Political Science courses over the summer, please let me know whether I should too or stick with another Level 1 elective course?

I also noticed that every summer there are less and less courses offered.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2011 at 11:55 AM   #7
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

It depends on the department and the course. I'd e-mail the History and Political Science departments to find out if you'll need to get permission to take them. I took two level II courses last summer without permission, but neither were from those departments.