MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spring term changturkey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-30-2010 11:14 AM
Spring/summer Courses nick Academics 5 05-10-2010 01:07 AM
Spring/Summer Term Durations jimboslice First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-23-2010 04:23 PM
Spring/Summer Sign Up? Deegs14 Academics 9 03-01-2010 02:37 PM
Spring/Summer 2010 Term Timetable dchan28 MacInsiders Announcements 7 02-08-2010 08:43 PM

Spring/Summer Term

Old 11-02-2009 at 05:29 PM   #1
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Spring/Summer Term
Hey,
I was thinking about taking a course during the Summer and Spring term and I want to know how much it will cost for me to take courses during the Summer and Spring term. I can't seem to find any information regarding this :/
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-2009 at 06:06 PM   #2
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

It's just like for regular year courses; you pay based on how many units you take and which faculty you're in. Your faculty should have a per unit breakdown.
Old 11-02-2009 at 06:19 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Like Danny mentioned, it's per unit. This link gives you the cost per unit for summer 2009 (Look under "Undergrad summer" headline). It probably went up a little from last summer, but you can get an idea of how much it'll be.
http://mcmaster.ca/bms/student/SAC_fees.htm
Old 11-02-2009 at 08:00 PM   #4
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

Its normally around $500 per course.
Old 11-02-2009 at 08:38 PM   #5
Melpomene

Liked: 6 Times

Is this what you mean?
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg2013.html

EDIT: The website bellow seems like it would be more helpful:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...t/finances.pdf

Last edited by Melpomene : 11-02-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-02-2009 at 08:42 PM   #6
mcinside
Elite Member

Liked: 23 Times

How does summer school work? Is it like 1 course over one month like highschool?
Old 11-02-2009 at 09:16 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinside View Post
How does summer school work? Is it like 1 course over one month like highschool?

You have the normal academic term decreased by half; so a six week term, but you have two times the amount of lectures. So 6 hours/week for 6 weeks.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-02-2009 at 09:28 PM   #8
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Thanks a lot guys for the information. This has really helped me.

lorend says thanks to Deegs14 for this post.

Yashoda likes this.
Old 11-08-2009 at 11:41 PM   #9
F430_Fill

Liked: 0 Times

Hi there, I'm a first year engineer here, I was just wondering if it was possible to take spring/summer courses at another university, say Ryerson? Would they still count here at Mac? Does anyone have any experience with this. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

- Fill
Old 11-08-2009 at 11:54 PM   #10
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by F430_Fill View Post
Hi there, I'm a first year engineer here, I was just wondering if it was possible to take spring/summer courses at another university, say Ryerson? Would they still count here at Mac? Does anyone have any experience with this. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

- Fill
I think in that case, the actual mark you get won't be entered into your CA and the mark is noted as a pass or fail. (60% being a pass.)
Old 11-09-2009 at 12:31 AM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:

- Fill
I took an online course through Laurentian during the normal academic year. It was counted as completed on my CA when I finished the course...aka no grade.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Yashoda says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 11-09-2009 at 09:18 AM   #12
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:

- Fill
You would need to check with the associate dean's office and/or your department's (whichever one you will be in) academic advisor for course eligibility. You can take courses but if you don't follow the right procedure they may not get counted towards your degree.
Old 11-09-2009 at 09:36 AM   #13
maya_kanani

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:

- Fill
I took a course at the University of Toronto-Mississauga this past summer. You need a letter of permission from your faculty, and you need to make sure the course you want to take (say Bio 1A03, which is what I did) has an approved equivalent at that university (at UofT, that was Bio 152). You also need to apply to that university as a visiting student using your letter of permission, to get a student number and stuff so you can register for the summer courses.

Here's a list of approved courses at universities across Canada: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/~as...UNI VERSITIES

The course also only counts as "COMPLETE" on your transcript. If you apply to grad school and want them to see the grade, you have to ask the university you took the course at to send the transcript to the grad school. Also remember when you finish the course that you have to have a transcript sent to Mac in order for it to be counted towards your degree.

Hope that helps!

Old 11-09-2009 at 02:35 PM   #14
EngLufLuf

Liked: Liked 2 Times

so i'm currently in engineering level 1 and i'm thinking to take some level 2 courses in summer or spring terms, but these level 2 courses require that I be registered in the level 2 program ( for example I want to join software engineering and game design and the prerequisite for the courses I want to take in the summer is being registered in software engineering) .... so can I take these courses or do I have to wait until fall semester to register in the level 2 program ???

thnx alot
Old 11-09-2009 at 03:17 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngLufLuf View Post
so i'm currently in engineering level 1 and i'm thinking to take some level 2 courses in summer or spring terms, but these level 2 courses require that I be registered in the level 2 program ( for example I want to join software engineering and game design and the prerequisite for the courses I want to take in the summer is being registered in software engineering) .... so can I take these courses or do I have to wait until fall semester to register in the level 2 program ???

thnx alot
If being in a second year program is a requirement then you won't be able to automatically take the course. You can e-mail the professor and present your case, they may give you a seat.

As far as I know, summer school is still part of the previous year. As in when you go and sign up for summer school courses you will only be able to select your first year program. That's how it showed up for me anyways.

EngLufLuf says thanks to jhan523 for this post.