I need some advice. jordko General Discussion 12 10-29-2009 08:05 PM
Any Advice? pink_cupcake Academics 8 06-28-2009 10:41 PM
some advice please... EngLufLuf General Discussion 16 06-22-2009 10:29 PM

Course advice

Old 08-07-2011 at 08:02 PM   #1
mike4

Liked: 26 Times

Course advice
I am currently enrolled in Honours Bio...unsure if I want to specialize by third year so I'm taking a bunch of the required courses for the specialties I'm interested in and was wondering if graduate/professional would care about the lack of variety (since I have so many bios). Unless the benefit of variety in courses is untrue...

1st term: Chem 20A3, Bio 2L03, 2B03, 2EE3 & 2D03

2nd term: Phys 1BO3, Psych 2C03, 2NF3, Bio 2A03 & 2C03

Also, If I dropped any bio it would have to be 2D03 (plant) and I was considering Music 2II3, Ling 1A03, or any easier elective. Unless 2D03 is known to be fairly simple.

And should I drop Psych 2NF3 for 2TT3 to make things more relaxed second term, I hear Animal Behaviour with Beston is enjoyable.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2011 at 08:06 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Hmm, well Physiology requires Bio 2F03, as do a lot of upper year Bio's. Bio 2D03 and 2EE3 are prerequisites for less courses than 2F03. I have yet to complete that requirement of my degree and when I was looking for what 2EE3 could be a prereq for (for 2nd term, i.e.), I found that it was close to nothing. Since 2F03 was a conflict for me, I ended up dropping the "2D/2F/2E" requirement until my 4th year just because 2F03 seems a lot more useful than the other ones.

While variety is encouraged, I do believe they want to see some direction to your courses. For instance, I have a lot of Chemistry courses/molecular courses/physiology courses which communicate that I have interests in several areas while still maintaining a focus.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need Chem 2OB3?
If you don't have it, I'd pick it up because it's definitely a prereq for a lot of other courses (i.e. Biochem 3G03 which is necessary for Bio 3P03)

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-07-2011 at 08:16 PM   #3
mike4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Hmm, well Physiology requires Bio 2F03, as do a lot of upper year Bio's. Bio 2D03 and 2EE3 are prerequisites for less courses than 2F03. I have yet to complete that requirement of my degree and when I was looking for what 2EE3 could be a prereq for (for 2nd term, i.e.), I found that it was close to nothing. Since 2F03 was a conflict for me, I ended up dropping the "2D/2F/2E" requirement until my 4th year just because 2F03 seems a lot more useful than the other ones.

While variety is encouraged, I do believe they want to see some direction to your courses. For instance, I have a lot of Chemistry courses/molecular courses/physiology courses which communicate that I have interests in several areas while still maintaining a focus.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need Chem 2OB3?
If you don't have it, I'd pick it up because it's definitely a prereq for a lot of other courses (i.e. Biochem 3G03 which is necessary for Bio 3P03)
Right, I already took Bio 2F03 in the summer, and would drop a psych for Chem 20B3 if it goes well first term, otherwise I'm looking to complete it in the summer.
Old 08-07-2011 at 08:36 PM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Ah, well then take an upper year course or an elective instead of the 2D03/2F03. Labs always take up a lot of time and it is easier to manage a busy schedule without them. Plus, minimizing labs will help you dedicate more time to Orgo.

Do not take the 2 Orgos with a "break" apart, unless you know the material inside and out. That was the solid advice an Orgo prof gave me and after doing them together, I appreciate what she meant. Orgo II does not "skip a beat" and never really advisable when you aren't fresh with the material. Plus when taught in the summer, it is much more condensed, unless you plan on keeping sharp with all the Orgo (which will be a bit challenging). It is not impossible to do but you'll find it a lot better to do them together.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

mike4 says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 08-08-2011 at 01:34 AM   #5
mike4

Also, I think your confusing Bio 2F03 with another course seeing as its not required for many other courses...