MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Understanding timetable codes Limbacker First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-19-2010 07:19 PM
Pin Codes ? ruby101 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-13-2010 01:33 PM
Course Codes Milka Academics 7 06-27-2010 04:14 AM
Missing Course Codes Hiraiyomi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-31-2008 05:17 PM

Course Codes

Old 06-11-2009 at 02:03 PM   #16
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I stand corrected, then!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-11-2009 at 02:54 PM   #17
holagurrl

Liked: 10 Times

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question! I can only have 9 units of electives in my first year, so it turns out I've already filled it up with a course with a 3 at the end and one with a 6.
Old 06-11-2009 at 03:35 PM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Yup, that's exactly it. You've got it figured out holagurrl!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-11-2009 at 05:09 PM   #19
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Here's some random info I managed to gather, based solely on what I've seen:

Examples:

Chemistry
1A03 (Intro to Chem I)
1E03 (Engineering Chem I)
1AA3 (Intro to Chem II)

Commerce
2AA3 (Financial Accounting I)
2AB3 (Managerial Accounting)
2BA3 (Organizational Behaviour)
2KA3 (Information Systems in Business)
3AB3 (Financial Accounting II)
3AC3 (Financial Accounting III)

First character is a number. Refers to level of the course, obviously.

Second character is a letter: used to identify the type of course within the department. Usually doesn't correspond to the content of the course. (Commerce 2AA3 is Accounting, but that's probably just a coincidence.)

Third character can be a number or a letter: identifies the level of the course with respect to others. "0" comes before "A", and "A" comes before "B".

Examples: Chem 1A03 is followed up by Chem 1AA3. Chem 1AA3 can also be preceded by Chem 1E03, because Engineering Chem is pretty much the same as 1A03. Also, Commerce 2AA3 is followed up with Commerce 2AB3, although 2BA3 is totally unrelated.

Last character is the number of units. Ranges anywhere from 0 to 6, though 9, 12, 15, 18, and 24-unit courses are available.

0-unit courses should be completed in a short time. 1AA0 took like, fifteen minutes. 1EE0 can take up to a month, or longer if you don't feel like handing in assignment 2...

1 and 2-unit courses are done within a term.

3-unit courses are usually done within a term, but not always. See: Engineer 1P03.

4-unit courses can be done within a term or throughout both terms.

The only 5-unit course I've seen was done within a term, but if there are others, they could probably be done over both.

6-unit courses are always done over two terms until someone proves me wrong. =p

That's about it. I like to find patterns in things, but that doesn't mean that I'm not totally bored right now. Should probably find some more exciting tuna.

lorend says thanks to Entropy for this post.
Old 06-11-2009 at 06:01 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I love finding patterns too and solving puzzles. Thanks for that info, probably not something a student has to know but interesting none the less. Seems like a simple enough system that McMaster put into place for administrative purposes.
Old 06-11-2009 at 06:59 PM   #21
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

http://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/s... =1M03&t=2&d=D

The course details has C01, C02 and C03.

C01 Mo, Th, Tu
C02 Mo, Th, Tu
C03 Mo, We, Th

I'm guessing the # after C0 indicates the section of the course you'd be in? And you pick one of the three and would have the course 3 times a week, every Mo, Thy, Tu or Mo, We, Th.

The same would also apply to the tutorials. That course had T01 We, T02 Fr, T03 Mo. So you'd have tutorials once a week on We, Fr, or Mo ?

Did I get that right??
Old 06-11-2009 at 07:22 PM   #22
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

yup that is correct!
Old 06-11-2009 at 07:23 PM   #23
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

That is correct, you pick one core and one tutorial. I can't load the link because it's from the master time table. but I'm assuming there is now "EOW" anywhere on the page. So therefore it would be every week. If there is "EOW" it means "Every Other Week" and you would attend every other week. (Note: You're prof will say which week the tutorials will be. Most of the time tutorials are EOW because there are labs that are EOW. The teacher will say, odd numbered labs (L01, L03...) are week A and even numbered labs (L02, L04...) are week B. So your tutorials will be the week you don't have labs.)

tiger says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-11-2009 at 07:43 PM   #24
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Oh, thanks for explaining the ''EOW''. Though I don't see EOW for that course's tutorials, can it still mean that the tutorials are EOW? BTW, the course was Math 1M03.

I'm having some trouble deciding on what math courses I should take. Is there anyone from mac we can ask for help, someone that would have access to our high school transcripts and be able to take a look at it to advise us what math courses to take or what math courses SOLAR will let us pick?
Old 06-11-2009 at 08:01 PM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Nope, unless it says EOW, it's every week.

You can pick any math course you have the prerequisites for.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1881.html

That's the page for all the math courses offered at Mac. Look at the first ones that start with "1".

By the way, for Math 1M03:

"Students considering upper year mathematics courses should take MATH 1A03. Not open to students with credit or registration in ARTS&SCI 1D06, ISCI 1A24, MATH 1A03, 1LS3, 1N03, 1X03, 1Z04. "

Math 1A03 is pretty easy. If you have been doing well in math you can easily get 10-12.

The prerequisite for Math 1A03 is Advanced Functions and Calculus U courses in high school. Also check out the reviews for Math 1A03: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1837 5
Old 06-11-2009
tiger
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-11-2009 at 08:49 PM   #26
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Well, I am an international student, that's why I am not sure if they will take into consideration what I have taken in math. I also don't know if what I've taken in math is equivalent to the Canadian grade 11 and 12 math.

Here is a full list of the subjects that were covered in math:

Grade 12

- Differentiation
-Integration
-Complex Numbers
-Conic Sections: Parabola
Ellipse
Hyperbola
-Solid Geometry
-Probability

Grade 11

-Exponentiation
Roots
Logarithms
-Sequence
-Mathematical Induction
Permutations and Combinations
Binomial Theorem
-Conic Sections: Circle
-Trigonometric Functions
-Limit
Continuum
Differentiation

-Solid Geometry
-Statistics
-Matrix
Old 06-11-2009 at 08:57 PM   #27
Inferno

Liked: 24 Times

We definitely didn't cover matrices, integratrion, complex numbers, conics, or induction in high school. You're way ahead of us, in terms of your mathematical ability.
Old 06-11-2009 at 09:09 PM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Yeah, most international students are way ahead of us Canadians. My international cousin's first year in university was a breeze, she'd already done most of the material in almost every class.
Old 06-12-2009 at 07:58 AM   #29
tiger
Account Disabled by User

So what math courses do I need to take? Only math 1A03? Stats 1L03? BTW, I am in commerce and Math 1A03 is not recommended, unless planning on minoring in mathematics or science. But, if it is not much different from math 1M03 then I'd take it so that I would have the prerequisite for other math courses in the future.