MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Drop or Not to Drop JonSnow Academics 6 10-13-2011 07:55 AM
Drop course ishg Academics 0 03-27-2011 09:48 PM
How to drop a course... dgibson123 Academics 0 03-10-2011 01:21 PM
Can I drop it like it's hot? Jayson193 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 03-08-2011 09:57 PM
can I still drop a course right now? incarnation Academics 1 11-18-2010 03:17 PM

Course Drop

Old 11-06-2011 at 09:28 PM   #1
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times

Course Drop
Hey guys im a bit confused about course dropping, im in environmental and earth science I, and im behind in chemistry 1a03 and decided to drop it,
1) do i just go to mugsi and drop it and thats it?
2) being in my program, is it okay that ill only have 27 credits or must i have 30 for the year?

sorry if thats a dumb question, but im having slight trouble finding the answers
Old 11-06-2011 at 10:01 PM   #2
sf

Liked: 36 Times

Are you absolutely sure you need to drop the course? You will need Chem for this program if you want to continue on to level 2. You may want to contact the acadmic advisor to discuss your options right now, for earth and enviro its Luc Bernier [email protected]
Old 11-06-2011 at 10:07 PM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

I am in the faculty of engineering so i dunno how it works for science students. To answer ur first question, yes you just go to mugsi and drop the class (or cancel it ). Also, in first year engineering, to get into competitive programs in second year you need for example a 7 with a full course load (depends on the program..civil and mech are high).That being said, if you drop a course you have to try harder to get a higher gpa. I am not sure how it works for science, but just go to the counsellor and ask about that stuff, ask them if it will affect you much.

P.S. every question is a good question; most people were in your place in first year
Old 11-07-2011 at 05:32 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
I am in the faculty of engineering so i dunno how it works for science students. To answer ur first question, yes you just go to mugsi and drop the class (or cancel it ). Also, in first year engineering, to get into competitive programs in second year you need for example a 7 with a full course load (depends on the program..civil and mech are high).That being said, if you drop a course you have to try harder to get a higher gpa. I am not sure how it works for science, but just go to the counsellor and ask about that stuff, ask them if it will affect you much.

P.S. every question is a good question; most people were in your place in first year
The points system in engineering is where both your average and the number of units you take combine to give you a certain number of points, and then the points are used to determine admission to second year programs...that isn't used in other faculties, as far as I know.

Usually you can drop a course, you just have to make it up another time. If the course is required for admission into a second-year program and you lack it, you can get conditional acceptance if your average is high enough, and take the course in summer school.