MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP Course Load Changes Desda Financial Aid 1 09-29-2010 04:42 PM
Partial Course Load and Medical School TLulu Academics 2 09-10-2010 01:34 PM
course load megg.noelle First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-12-2010 05:13 PM
Course Load James General Discussion 3 06-25-2009 06:59 PM
Summer School - Course Load sinthusized Academics 3 03-19-2009 12:02 AM

Course load for Med school

Old 11-05-2009 at 09:54 AM   #1
Potential

Liked: 0 Times

Course load for Med school
Hello,

I have a question about med school requirements for course load.
I had 4 courses in my first semester of my first year. But i had 5 courses in my second semester of my first year.
Is it possible to have 4 courses in the first semester of my second year? I want to drop a course but I'm not sure as i don't want to miss any opportunities

Thank you
Old 11-05-2009 at 10:05 AM   #2
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

I am way too sick to give you a full list of the schools that will not consider you if you don't take a full course load but not taking a full course load will shut you out of some schools.
Old 11-05-2009 at 10:25 AM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Take a full course load. If you drop one this term, take 6 next semester.
Old 11-05-2009 at 10:45 AM   #4
Potential

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks guys for your responses. The course i want to drop is really affecting me and stressful.
Jay, is that possible? I don't mind taking 6 courses next semester.
How would that count?
Old 11-05-2009 at 11:08 AM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential View Post
Thanks guys for your responses. The course i want to drop is really affecting me and stressful.
Jay, is that possible? I don't mind taking 6 courses next semester.
How would that count?
Yup.

I would talk to the academic advisor for your faculty and ask for permission to overload.

That way, you're still taking a full course load (30 units), it's just distributed differently
Old 11-05-2009 at 12:41 PM   #6
anubhagat
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

It is possible to get permission for overload but you may have to meet certain GPA requirements, (i.e. a cumulative of atleast 7, or something along those lines). It would be good to verify w/ the faculty office.
Old 11-05-2009 at 01:16 PM   #7
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

It's not an overload if it's 4 and 6. As long as you are taking 30 credits or under they don't care how you split up your course load. Overloading refers to the entire year and taking over 30 units of courses.

Or atleast that has been the case with me... I've had 4 and 6 before without having to go to a counsellor.
Old 11-05-2009 at 02:03 PM   #8
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
It's not an overload if it's 4 and 6. As long as you are taking 30 credits or under they don't care how you split up your course load. Overloading refers to the entire year and taking over 30 units of courses.

Or atleast that has been the case with me... I've had 4 and 6 before without having to go to a counsellor.
When I tried to put more than 15 units in second term, they said that I needed to ask for permission even though I had a high enough cGPA to overload.