MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course Reviews MTK3 Academics 5 08-29-2010 10:41 PM
Course Reviews Re-Opened Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-13-2009 07:43 PM
Please Add Course Reviews lorend MacInsiders Announcements 5 06-20-2009 12:49 PM
Course Reviews! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-07-2008 03:52 PM

course reviews

Old 08-09-2009 at 07:54 PM   #1
gladmam

Liked: 0 Times

course reviews
Hey guys,

When I started at Mac, and for the past couple of years, there were always a TON of courses being reviewed, whether it be on this site or mac-central... now though, it seems that there have been very sparse course reviews in the last year or so, on either of these sites... is there a newer site that has gone up or something, in which a lot of more recent course reviews can be found? or were people just more liekly to review courses a couple years back?
thanks
Old 08-09-2009 at 07:56 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladmam View Post
Hey guys,

When I started at Mac, and for the past couple of years, there were always a TON of courses being reviewed, whether it be on this site or mac-central... now though, it seems that there have been very sparse course reviews in the last year or so, on either of these sites... is there a newer site that has gone up or something, in which a lot of more recent course reviews can be found? or were people just more liekly to review courses a couple years back?
thanks
Really? I found that there were a lot of course reviews in the past month or two. Remember that previously reviewed courses aren't generally reviewed again, but they should be if teachers change and stuff like that.
Old 08-09-2009 at 08:17 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I thought there was a lot more reviews this year than last, but like, you could request course reviews and maybe someone here can put it up if they took those courses. :] We do need more 3rd and 4th year course reviews though.
Old 08-09-2009 at 09:00 PM   #4
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I thought there was a lot more reviews this year than last, but like, you could request course reviews and maybe someone here can put it up if they took those courses. :] We do need more 3rd and 4th year course reviews though.
When I finish 4th year there'll be tons more up! There aren't that many people interested in philosophy though
Old 08-09-2009 at 09:53 PM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I'm only taking 2 fourth year courses next year. And one of them is a thesis. I guess a review for that might be interesting.
Old 08-09-2009 at 10:12 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

gladmam, any course reviews we get on MacInsiders are done by students who want to do them. We can only ask that students write them out when they complete a course, but most users do not choose to do so.

I don't understand why the student population is lacking in altruism. But I've been wondering this for years.

Mac offers a couple hundred courses a year, so it's not possible for all courses to be reviewed. Some classes are really small so it's hard to get reviewers for them. Also, some classes are offered every other year or every two years, which makes getting reviews difficult as well.

I was the individual who suggested that this feature be developed for MacInsiders and I've done my best to make sure as many reviews as possible have gone up. But I'm only one person. For every course I've taken in the last two years I've written a review, and that ends up being less than 20 classes. If you add some other courses I took in earlier years I think the total is 35. And I'm pretty sure most of those classes don't apply to a good portion of the Mac population because none of them are considered bird courses and my programs are relatively small.

And because you're asking about this generally...how many people on this forum have actually written reviews, out of curiosity?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-09-2009 at 10:18 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I haven't written any reviews yet. I was going to a couple months ago but when I was thinking back I couldn't remember anything :S

But I'm going to try my best to write reviews for this upcoming year.
Old 08-09-2009 at 10:20 PM   #8
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I have.

But if there's a review already there or if the course has changed (Bio 1AA3) I usually don't write another review.
Old 08-09-2009 at 11:16 PM   #9
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Mac-Central did have a lot of course reviews, but unfortunately almost everyone who was there from the beginning has now graduated...

Course reviews are always helpful... would be nice if there were some fourth year biology ones =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
I'm only taking 2 fourth year courses next year. And one of them is a thesis. I guess a review for that might be interesting.
I just noticed that your biology! The thesis course and your lab 'work load' will depend on your supervisor, since they do most of the marking. I'm also doing the thesis course =)

Last edited by Ivan Q. : 08-09-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-09-2009 at 11:26 PM   #10
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

I have written course reviews but same as Jesus, if theres already a sufficient review I won't add to it.

Of course there are more reviews of courses considered bird/easy courses but I think thats because they apply to a wider range of students than courses that are only offered to people in a certain program or faculty.

If you want more reviews, request them and if somebody has taken the course I'm sure they'd be able to offer some advice.

Old 08-09-2009 at 11:34 PM   #11
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I think another problem is that, a lot of us take relatively popular courses, so even if we were in the mood to write a review... it's already up there. And a lot of the active members here at in first & second year.
Old 08-09-2009 at 11:40 PM   #12
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

I'm pretty sure I've reviewed every course I've taken.. or almost every single one.. I like writing them for some reason. kinda therapeutic if it was a particularly bad course.
Old 08-10-2009 at 07:54 AM   #13
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I'm going to write more when I have a chance. However, I have written quite a few-- mainly philosophy.
Old 08-10-2009 at 08:11 AM   #14
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Writing reviews helps to pass the time at work!

lorend likes this.