MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course Selection Raven First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-16-2012 03:33 PM
Course Selection taranv First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-24-2011 12:00 AM
Course Selection Maximas First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-30-2010 07:35 PM
Course Selection siefer1322 Academics 23 05-27-2009 09:18 AM
course selection Griff Academics 1 08-02-2007 09:10 PM

Course Selection

Old 06-17-2012 at 05:42 PM   #1
monardo

Liked: 0 Times

Course Selection
So far, these are the courses I've decided on:

English 1A03 - Short Genres
English 1C06- History of English Lit
English 1AA3- Long Genres
Classics 1B03- Ancient Myth in Literature
Classics 1M03- History of Greece and Rome
Classics 1A03- Intro to Classical Archaeology
Italian 1Z06- Beginners Intensive Italian
Anthropology 1AA3- Sex, Food, and Death ( Intro to Anthro)

These even out to 15 units per semester and 30 units in total.
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on which Profs are the best, and any advice as to how to approach these. I've researched them to my best ability, but I still feel like they are going to be seriously overwhelming.
Any advice or tips will be seriously helpful!

Thanks so much

Olivia
Old 06-17-2012 at 05:52 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by monardo View Post
So far, these are the courses I've decided on:

English 1A03 - Short Genres
English 1C06- History of English Lit
English 1AA3- Long Genres
Classics 1B03- Ancient Myth in Literature
Classics 1M03- History of Greece and Rome
Classics 1A03- Intro to Classical Archaeology
Italian 1Z06- Beginners Intensive Italian
Anthropology 1AA3- Sex, Food, and Death ( Intro to Anthro)

These even out to 15 units per semester and 30 units in total.
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on which Profs are the best, and any advice as to how to approach these. I've researched them to my best ability, but I still feel like they are going to be seriously overwhelming.
Any advice or tips will be seriously helpful!

Thanks so much

Olivia
For some of those you won't have a choice at all in prof, so keep that in mind.
Also, you won't get to pick your sections (or the profs associated with them) until August.
And be prepared for italian to be full

monardo says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 06-17-2012 at 05:55 PM   #3
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

it looks like they are. A lot of the classes you are taking seem like they involve lots of papers and research. You should takes some classes that don't involve so much work so that you can have time to focus on the classes that are writing and research intensive. I would suggest taking econ 1b03 or anthro 1A03.

monardo says thanks to rpg51 for this post.
Old 06-17-2012 at 08:56 PM   #4
bobthehorse

Liked: 1 Time

It won't be easy but it is do-able; my friend just finished a year that was extremely similar to this. The two Classic courses usually fill pretty quickly so have a couple backups; I would recommend either Geography or Indigenous Studies.

monardo says thanks to bobthehorse for this post.
Old 06-18-2012 at 12:25 AM   #5
cessyy

Liked: 1 Time

I remember having trouble getting into the english courses last year, so you might find difficulty there. As for profs, I had Stephen Lauren and he was pretty good. Stutters a bit, but he explains everything in detail so if you have him in Eng 1A03, you should be fine =)
Old 06-18-2012 at 06:33 AM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Try typing your course into Macinsiders search bar to see if there's a course review (should have most first years). Ratemyprof is also useful
Old 06-18-2012 at 03:40 PM   #7
monardo

Liked: 0 Times

I did that and it was great! Thanks so much! I had no clue about ratemyprof- such a great site. Ahah.
Old 06-18-2012 at 04:37 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by monardo View Post
I did that and it was great! Thanks so much! I had no clue about ratemyprof- such a great site. Ahah.
Lol really? There's one for teachers as well (high school mostly), and doctors and prob a bunch of other professions.