MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are the chances I can get into Psych 1X03 before classes start? oranges First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-08-2010 01:07 PM
What Are My Chances Of Getting In??? mattgood9 Academics 1 03-24-2010 07:06 PM
Chances of Open Spaces in PSYCH 2F03 and THEATRE&FILM 1B03 MSS12 Academics 3 06-25-2009 02:33 AM
Course Selection siefer1322 Academics 23 05-27-2009 09:18 AM
course selection jordanrogers Academics 2 05-05-2009 01:13 PM

Course Selection chances

Old 06-01-2010 at 05:16 PM   #1
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Course Selection chances
Hey i've been looking at my future courses for first year and I was wondering how likely is it I will get into the class time I want if i went on SOLAR or whatever it is to pick courses right at midnight? I'm really feeling a friday off second term...
Old 06-01-2010 at 06:38 PM   #2
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

It's possible...I wasn't home when SOLAR opened up for me to pick courses first year and when I came back a couple of days later, I still managed to get Fridays off first semester. Second year I forgot about course registration and started picking courses the next day and I got Tuesdays off second semester. You might get lucky if you try at midnight but you also might spend hours trying to get on and just end up frustrated. I have tried going onto SOLAR right when it opens and it generally just pisses me off because nothing gets done.

I'm assuming there are a few cores to the class you're referring to. Even if you don't get in to the core you want ... keep checking every day, whenever you can. Chances are, you'll find an open spot at some point...especially close to the beginning of the year when everyone is finalizing their schedule.
Old 06-01-2010 at 06:59 PM   #3
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

It will be harder for first years because you guys are the last to pick. It also depends which faculty you're in (I think 1st year science picks last this year).

Solar/Mugsi will frustrate you to no end...
Old 06-01-2010 at 07:07 PM   #4
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

Something to keep in mind is that the date that you pick your courses determines ONLY which courses you get into, not what cores, labs and tutorials you are in.
Then Mugsi/Solar assign you a schedule, and one night at midnight they will re-open with the option to try to change around your cores, labs and tutorials.

If you are trying to change around your cores and stuff, be prepared for the SOLAR shipwreck that inevitably occurs every time more than 5 people try to log on at once. Translation: Unless you are very very lucky, prepare yourself for close to an all-nighter fighting with your computer.

Hope this helps
Old 06-01-2010 at 07:10 PM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yes, SOLAR will piss you off, guaranteed.

But, if you're patient and persistent, there's a chance you can get the class times you want. Just have a few backup plans. Keep checking SOLAR to see if a spot opens up, like if people decide they don't want to take the course anymore and drop their seat.
Old 06-01-2010 at 07:12 PM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Good luck.

Thats everyones plan... go on at 12.00AM and get it done. But MUGSI is evil and by the time your on it could be 12.00PM
Old 06-01-2010 at 07:44 PM   #7
Naheed
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

My tips: You can log onto MUGSI for (I think) about 45 minutes before your session ends. Log on at 11:30, it takes less than 15 minutes to pick courses if you know what your courses (and backup courses) are. 5 mins, even.

If you're really paranoid, start by selecting those courses that you think will fill up fastest, and go through the whole process of adding them (aka, finish registration and officially add them) before you go back in and add other courses.
Old 06-01-2010 at 11:21 PM   #8
julianface
Elite Member

Thanks for the response, I will remember that tip Naheed seems helpful. I'm mostly worried about the engineering math courses because 800? or so people picking 1 2 and 3 could make or break my potentially awesome schedule term 2. There is only one comp sci 1FC3 core and one beginners spanish core so that should be fine(as long as spanish isn't really popular). Its just 1ZB3 and 1ZC3 that worry me (and i dunno bout my 5th course yet)
Old 06-02-2010 at 12:02 AM   #9
nicole.h

Liked: 1 Time

I second what other people have said about going back on and seeing if the course you want has opened up. I have gotten into quite a few electives that were orginally full this way. I would go on once or twice a day (not during the peak times) and see if there was a spot. And as you get closer to the start of the semester, people will be changing their courses frequently.
Old 06-02-2010 at 09:22 AM   #10
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.h View Post
I second what other people have said about going back on and seeing if the course you want has opened up. I have gotten into quite a few electives that were orginally full this way. I would go on once or twice a day (not during the peak times) and see if there was a spot. And as you get closer to the start of the semester, people will be changing their courses frequently.
Agreed. I remember I couldn't get into a lot of the electives I wanted, but as soon as school started, everything became open. Even midway during the school-year, I could get into things I originally couldn't get into.
Old 06-02-2010 at 01:40 PM   #11
julianface
Elite Member

so even if you miss a class or two you can switch into it if someone drops? that sounds pretty cool, im liking all the options
Old 06-02-2010 at 05:00 PM   #12
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
so even if you miss a class or two you can switch into it if someone drops? that sounds pretty cool, im liking all the options
Yeah! Definitely! You might miss some stuff, but as long as you make friends or ask someone around you what you've missed, then you'll be fine.