MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
elective dilemma Chevalier Academics 5 06-05-2011 06:09 PM
Math dilemma Europe1010 Academics 13 02-09-2011 01:25 PM
dilemma sana.banana Academics 26 01-20-2011 01:13 PM
summer school dilemma fasailuddin General Discussion 3 06-03-2009 12:49 PM
Level II dilemma..... please help jeff87 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 03-23-2009 11:54 AM

Course selection dilemma

Old 06-19-2011 at 04:43 PM   #1
larizhou

Liked: 0 Times

Course selection dilemma
Hello, I will be enrolling at McMaster University in September. My goal is to get into Medical School. I am actually thinking of transferring from life sci to health sci after first year. So I am not sure if I am taking the "right" courses according to my future endeavors.

SCIENCE 1A00, HTH SCI 1BS0
CHEM 1A03, 1AA3
BIOLOGY 1A03, 1M03
PSYCH 1X03, 1XX3

The above courses are the must-have courses for me. Now my problem is choosing the right physics, math and elective courses.

I have read somewhere on this thread that med school wants full-year physics? what does mean exactly? Does that mean I have to take two physics courses in a year? can I take one in each year?

For math, should I take Math 1LS3 or 1A03? I would easy on math if I can, but I'm afraid that there might be some upper-year courses that require the completion of Math 1A03.

For electives, Kinesiol 1Y03 & 1YY3 sound very interesting. Is there any social science related course I can take as electives?

Anybody who is more knowledgeable than I am, please enlighten me.
Old 06-19-2011 at 04:55 PM   #2
karna

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by larizhou View Post
I have read somewhere on this thread that med school wants full-year physics? what does mean exactly? Does that mean I have to take two physics courses in a year? can I take one in each year?

For math, should I take Math 1LS3 or 1A03? I would easy on math if I can, but I'm afraid that there might be some upper-year courses that require the completion of Math 1A03.

For electives, Kinesiol 1Y03 & 1YY3 sound very interesting. Is there any social science related course I can take as electives?

dosent matter when you take it, but you need 2 with a lab component.

ls3 is easier than a03 and i think that if you get 10+ in ls3 then it can be used insted of a03 (not sure but dbl check)

kin 1y03 and yy3 are very popular, so your chances of getting them are slim. most people take econ 1b03 and 1bb3 to fulfill social science requirements + they are easy and mark boosters.

Last edited by karna : 06-19-2011 at 04:57 PM.

larizhou says thanks to karna for this post.
Old 06-19-2011 at 04:58 PM   #3
frzntrkydnnr

Liked: 5 Times

The physics requirement is a full year (ie 6 units) with lab, so be careful there, physics 1L03 doesn't count. That being said some universities don't have this requirement. Math 1LS3 was a fairly easy course, and if i'm not mistaken doing well in it allows it to be equivalent to 1A03 for future math courses. And finally i would definitely recommend the kin courses, as they are incredibly interesting.

Here's a useful pdf that should tell you everything you need to know:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Med School Requirements 2011.pdf (311.1 KB, 75 views)

larizhou says thanks to frzntrkydnnr for this post.

larizhou likes this.
Old 06-19-2011 at 04:59 PM   #4
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Hello, I will be enrolling at McMaster University in September. My goal is to get into Medical School. I am actually thinking of transferring from life sci to health sci after first year. So I am not sure if I am taking the "right" courses according to my future endeavors.

SCIENCE 1A00, HTH SCI 1BS0
CHEM 1A03, 1AA3
BIOLOGY 1A03, 1M03
PSYCH 1X03, 1XX3

The above courses are the must-have courses for me. Now my problem is choosing the right physics, math and elective courses.

I'm a Health Science transfer from the Life Sciences program and I used my two electives for a full year French course because I wanted to minor in French.

Also, I'm pretty sure Physics 1L03 or 1B03 is required by the end of Level 2 of Life Science so you'll need to take that one of those anyways.

Not all med schools require full year physics, do some research into the ones you want to apply to and look at their course requirements.

I would definitely recommend 1LS3 unless you really love math.

And FYI, SCIENCE 1A00 and HTH SCI 1BS0 aren't courses, they're just online safety quizzes you have to complete before your first lab.

larizhou says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.
Old 06-19-2011 at 05:01 PM   #5
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

Lol if you're applying in Canada don't even bother taking physics. You need it for like what 2 med schools in the middle of no where that only accept in province students anyways? 0 Ontario med schools require physics.

larizhou says thanks to Chandlerowns for this post.
Old 06-19-2011 at 05:16 PM   #6
larizhou

Thanks for all the responses so quick! Very useful information indeed! They have helped me out tremendously!
Old 06-19-2011 at 05:19 PM   #7
larizhou

What advices would you give me for succeeding at transferring from life sci to health sci? Academically, socially etc..?
Old 06-19-2011 at 05:51 PM   #8
DarkHalo

Liked: 3 Times

Get a 10 avg and hope they like your application

Philipp31 likes this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 10:35 PM   #9
larizhou

Should I buy used first-year textbooks to read ahead in the summer? would it be useful or should I just focus on reviewing high school stuff rather than learning new stuff?
Old 06-21-2011 at 11:09 PM   #10
AnythingReally

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Should I buy used first-year textbooks to read ahead in the summer? would it be useful or should I just focus on reviewing high school stuff rather than learning new stuff?
Unless it's a hobby of yours reading university level textbooks, I'd say enjoy your summer before first year... trust me haha. You seem to have strong work ethic, so you'll be fine without the "jumping ahead."

larizhou says thanks to AnythingReally for this post.
Old 06-23-2011 at 04:24 PM   #11
larizhou

I got my room assignment today. My friend and I were hoping for a room at Le Prince, but instead we got Edwards hall. Is it because we chose "quietness" for our profile?
Old 06-23-2011 at 04:46 PM   #12
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
I got my room assignment today. My friend and I were hoping for a room at Le Prince, but instead we got Edwards hall. Is it because we chose "quietness" for our profile?
Don't really see the big deal. Officially it's all lottery based and what not. You'll have just as much fun if not more than if you were at LP. I've heard LP wasn't all too social.
Old 06-23-2011 at 04:47 PM   #13
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
best location on campus I wish I got into edwards, its also one of the nicest so don't be disappointed at all. You'll piss a lot of people off for being upset with edwards
Old 06-23-2011 at 05:09 PM   #14
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
No, it's because there are wayyyyy more students than spots, and a good chunk of those students want Les Prince. They aren't even having a wait list this year for people not guaranteed res, so you're lucky you got a spot at all. Edwards is a good res, there's nothing wrong with being there
Old 06-23-2011 at 05:14 PM   #15
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandlerowns View Post
Lol if you're applying in Canada don't even bother taking physics. You need it for like what 2 med schools in the middle of no where that only accept in province students anyways? 0 Ontario med schools require physics.
How about the physical science portion of the MCAT, lawl