MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trouble creating mock time table twinrainbow First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2012 01:12 PM
Having trouble creating a package on MSU website amare General Discussion 2 02-22-2012 11:50 AM
Creating my own shoes lawleypop General Discussion 36 11-15-2010 09:55 AM
Creating a Positive Space for the LGBTQ Community AdamKuhn General Discussion 30 03-03-2010 02:48 PM
Revolution Wear: Creating Change and Re-using Everything michbitran Misc 0 02-03-2008 01:33 PM

Creating Timtable For first year- How do you think i should space my courses out?

Old 07-08-2012 at 11:50 AM   #16
lalalola2011

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb12 View Post
I actually don't mind 2-3 classes although 3+ is too much. Unless you actually follow through on studying during your breaks, they end up being a waste of time... too short to go home/rez and no work gets done in my case. One lunch break might be okay for you though, if your classes are around that time.

I would only schedule a one-hour break if I had a lab or tutorial which requires participation after, so that you can get any necessary items during the break and to mentally prepare yourself since they're different from just listening to lectures.
Aren't tutorials optional to attend and kinda like just asking questions and stuff?
Old 07-08-2012 at 12:07 PM   #17
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalola2011 View Post
Aren't tutorials optional to attend and kinda like just asking questions and stuff?
It depends on the course...math (1za3) in first year had tutorials, but its up to you if you wanna go or not (no marks or anything)...physics (1d03&1e03) on the other hand, had marked tutorials (7.5% of your overall mark).

For physics we actually had a quiz and had to hand in an assignment (it was done in groups) at the end of the tutorial. For math, the ta was standing there the whole time talking or taking up homework questions. In first year engineering, tutorials were mandatory (not for c03 but I heard now its mandatory to go).
I guess tutorial attendance depends on the program and the course.

Last edited by jim1 : 07-08-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-08-2012 at 12:18 PM   #18
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
No, most tutorials are mandatory because you have assignments and stuff. It's more like extra class time in a smaller environment to supplement what the prof teaches and to provide you with methods (assignments, presentations) to better understand the material.

I agree with not having one hour breaks. I also don't mind having 3 classes in a row, once i had all five of my classes in a row on one day...that's not so great. But I think it's better to have a couple of classes together. It also depends if you'll be living in res because if you have an hour break you might be able to go back to res, chill a bit, eat something but if you're living off campus you'll just be chilling around campus. It also depends on your personality, it's important to take advantage of those breaks to do work and such but I usually don't so I know it's a waste of my time.
Old 07-08-2012 at 12:51 PM   #19
rkb12

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
It depends on the course, that's why I specified tutorials that require participation or work on your part.

First year psych tutorials were mandatory and had a participation component whereas first year chem tutorials were optional. Physics 1L03 had a quiz in each tutorial, and Bio 1M03 tutorials had assignments, activities, the PBL project/presentation etc. Things you might want an hour to prepare for.

lalalola2011 says thanks to rkb12 for this post.

lalalola2011 likes this.
Old 07-08-2012 at 01:34 PM   #20
lalalola2011

Liked: 4 Times

Anypne have any idea what Math 1LS3 has in tutorials?
Old 07-08-2012 at 01:56 PM   #21
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Anypne have any idea what Math 1LS3 has in tutorials?
They just go over questions in the courseware that ppl had trouble with.

lalalola2011 says thanks to Swampis for this post.

lalalola2011 likes this.
Old 07-08-2012 at 10:00 PM   #22
Schen

Liked: 3 Times

I think it is all personal preferences. I generally stay up late during most nights (procrastination) so I always want breaks where I can take naps the next day. I've also spoke with people who prefer to have class continuously, this way they can just get it over with. Some prefer day classes; some prefer night classes. It all depends.

lalalola2011 likes this.