MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creating a club? Vessi Clubs & Groups 0 01-25-2013 07:11 PM
Having trouble creating a package on MSU website amare General Discussion 2 02-22-2012 11:50 AM
Creating my own shoes lawleypop General Discussion 36 11-15-2010 09:55 AM
Revolution Wear: Creating Change and Re-using Everything michbitran Misc 0 02-03-2008 01:33 PM

Creating a Wireless Hub in Res?

Old 06-24-2014 at 01:39 PM   #1
AlyK

Liked: 0 Times

Creating a Wireless Hub in Res?
Hey everyone,
So i know wireless isn't available in res, but can I use the ethernet connection provided to set up a wireless access point? or is there a policy preventing me from doing this?

I plan on buying a new laptop so I want to know if a laptop with no ethernet port (e.g. surface) is going to be a huge hassle.

Thanks
Old 06-24-2014 at 01:53 PM   #2
mdd1
McMaster Employee

Liked: 7 Times

Wireless in REZ news:

http://www.mcmaster.ca/uts/maconline/reznet.html

-Mike
Old 06-24-2014 at 05:12 PM   #3
AlyK

Oh thanks! I must have been looking at outdated info
Old 06-27-2014 at 08:23 PM   #4
jhehe

Keep in mind that depending on where your res room is, your connection could really suck. in my res, i was able to connect to reznet, but my roommate's just maybe 5 feet away just dropped like every five minutes. if you don't want to buy your own router, i suggest you looking up 'wifi rebroadcasting'. i made a router from my netbook
Old 06-29-2014 at 08:23 AM   #5
VitaSoy

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhehe View Post
Keep in mind that depending on where your res room is, your connection could really suck. in my res, i was able to connect to reznet, but my roommate's just maybe 5 feet away just dropped like every five minutes. if you don't want to buy your own router, i suggest you looking up 'wifi rebroadcasting'. i made a router from my netbook
This.

In Windows notebooks there's an option for ad hoc connection if you're connected to a landline. This allows you to relay a "short distance wifi" from your notebook. We did this all the time is res when people came over to chill.
Old 06-29-2014 at 10:23 AM   #6
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

If you use a router then something cheap and old would work. However you will absolutely have to use decent security. If you use WEP then anyone with a smartphone can hack in in about a minute with one of many apps. Use wpa2 with a min 10 digit password following basic password protocol.
Old 07-01-2014 at 10:11 AM   #7
jhehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaSoy View Post
This.

In Windows notebooks there's an option for ad hoc connection if you're connected to a landline. This allows you to relay a "short distance wifi" from your notebook. We did this all the time is res when people came over to chill.
I refuse to work with Windows.
Old 07-02-2014 at 11:36 AM   #8
VitaSoy

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhehe View Post
I refuse to work with Windows.
I'm merely providing another option for the OP.

Also, do netbooks not run on Windows?
Old 07-02-2014 at 06:17 PM   #9
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Looks like all res' are going to have Wifi this year.

If not, set it up and just hide the SSID, that way it is extremely unlikely they will ever know.
Old 07-02-2014 at 07:09 PM   #10
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Looks like all res' are going to have Wifi this year.

If not, set it up and just hide the SSID, that way it is extremely unlikely they will ever know.
Windows 8 by default now says "Hidden Network" for all hidden SSIDs. Used to work really well though.
Old 07-06-2014 at 12:05 PM   #11
jhehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaSoy View Post
I'm merely providing another option for the OP.

Also, do netbooks not run on Windows?
Got rid of it. Was using it as a "host".