MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cumulative Average Rounding marauder21212 Academics 1 08-07-2014 12:34 PM
Cumulative average xxorianna Academics 5 05-07-2013 12:06 AM
Cumulative Average kevvmck First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 01-30-2012 09:53 PM
Cumulative average Greenspace Academics 6 05-02-2011 05:27 PM
cumulative average mtristani Academics 6 03-04-2010 07:09 PM

Cumulative Average Changes

Old 05-06-2015 at 04:51 PM   #1
abmac

Liked: 0 Times

Cumulative Average Changes
so last year to stay in my program and not be on academic probation i needed a 5.4, but i received a 5.3, so i was put on probation. However now they changed it so you now need a 5 across all years to get into next year with out being on academic probation, so technically last year i wouldnt have been put on academic probation. this year i received a 4.8 and i was wondering if they would excuse me being on probation last year and only count it this time so i wont be kicked out? im going into my 4th year and i really want to graduate this year and just be done with school.
Old 05-06-2015 at 05:02 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

This is a question you should be asking your academic advisors. Nobody here can help you in any way.
Old 05-06-2015 at 05:30 PM   #3
abmac

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
This is a question you should be asking your academic advisors. Nobody here can help you in any way.
Thank you so much for your insight.
Old 05-07-2015 at 10:38 AM   #4
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmac View Post
Thank you so much for your insight.
Dont give attitude when he gives you the most obvious answer that you should have thought of yourself.

Regarding your issue, I highly doubt that they would pretend that you weren't already on academic probation. My reasoning being that you were on probation based on the old rules, and those rules weren't changed until this year as you said. So there is no reason to believe that the new rules, which didnt come into effect until THIS YEAR, would overrule the rules which caused you to be on academic probation LAST YEAR.
Also, it likely doesnt look good to the university that you needed to raise your efforts this year to get off of academic probation, and your average dropped from a 5.3 to a 4.8. The regression in your grades also would not bode well for you when trying to convince your faculty to not kick you out.
If you try saying that based on new rules you would have only been on probation for one of the past two years, what is to stop the university from countering with "based on the old rules, you would have been on probation both years regardless".

Snowman likes this.
Old 05-08-2015 at 01:52 AM   #5
Pendragon

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Dream View Post

Dont give attitude when he gives you the most obvious answer that you should have thought of yourself.

Regarding your issue, I highly doubt that they would pretend that you weren't already on academic probation. My reasoning being that you were on probation based on the old rules, and those rules weren't changed until this year as you said. So there is no reason to believe that the new rules, which didnt come into effect until THIS YEAR, would overrule the rules which caused you to be on academic probation LAST YEAR.
Also, it likely doesnt look good to the university that you needed to raise your efforts this year to get off of academic probation, and your average dropped from a 5.3 to a 4.8. The regression in your grades also would not bode well for you when trying to convince your faculty to not kick you out.
If you try saying that based on new rules you would have only been on probation for one of the past two years, what is to stop the university from countering with "based on the old rules, you would have been on probation both years regardless".
I guess that's why she was put on academic probation in the first place.
Old 05-08-2015 at 07:38 AM   #6
2Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
I guess that's why she was put on academic probation in the first place.
Well seriously tho, OP was told to get their marks up when they were put on academic probation, and they let their average drop another 0.5 points. What does that say about their drive/commitment? Sorry but no shits given here
Old 05-08-2015 at 02:16 PM   #7
leeat2

Liked: 3 Times

Come on guys why do you have to be so rude. This discussion should have ended on the second post. Clearly she made a mistake and there's no reason write negative and unhelpful feedbacks. Like you would say this shit in person, be nice.

patriots4eva likes this.
Old 05-10-2015 at 04:17 PM   #8
2Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeat2 View Post
Come on guys why do you have to be so rude. This discussion should have ended on the second post. Clearly she made a mistake and there's no reason write negative and unhelpful feedbacks. Like you would say this shit in person, be nice.
Actually I don't sugarcoat the truth when its the truth has been requested.