MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When is Deferred Exam Grade Release? islytt Academics 1 06-24-2010 07:09 PM
CUPE Members to vote on offer previously reject by the bargaining team DannyV General Discussion 13 11-05-2009 07:05 AM
First Year Council: Please vote "The A-Team" Nosh First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-30-2009 07:07 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM

CUPE expects a "no" vote on offer

Old 11-09-2009 at 10:52 PM   #31
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by talues View Post
How about: And the rich get richer...

Who wants to put money on the administration getting a raise this year! Oh wait... I won't have any after I pay for the tuition increase, and those new contacts/glasses I desperately need to see...
That's unfortunate.

Look on the bright side... like most of us (including myself) you can get another job.
Old 11-09-2009 at 10:56 PM   #32
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
How about: And the rich get richer...

Who wants to put money on the administration getting a raise this year! Oh wait... I won't have any after I pay for the tuition increase, and those new contacts/glasses I desperately need to see...
And just like every other student that wears glasses or contacts and works for minimum wage or not at all to pay tuition just like you do, with no benefits, you can find a way.

And you could also use your "rich get richer" argument for the union admins. think they wouldn't get a piece of those extra 20 or so hours they were after?

Taunton likes this.
Old 11-09-2009 at 10:57 PM   #33
talues

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
That's unfortunate.

Look on the bright side... like most of us (including myself) you can get another job.
I'm going to start lo... OH WAIT, I CAN'T!

But hey, if you can find the time between research and classes, go for it. But as I had pointed out earlier.

The TA-ship was offered as an incentive to come to McMaster. It is not just another job, but instead is used to lure grad students to come to Mac to supplant their income. This does not mean that they can re-neg on the incentive and f**k us over by considerably changing the terms of our TA-ship

Oh wait.... apparently it does....

Pwned....
Old 11-09-2009 at 11:07 PM   #34
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:

But hey, if you can find the time between research and classes, go for it. But as I had pointed out earlier.

The TA-ship was offered as an incentive to come to McMaster. It is not just another job, but instead is used to lure grad students to come to Mac to supplant their income. This does not mean that they can re-neg on the incentive and f**k us over by considerably changing the terms of our TA-ship

Pwned....
Again, if you're in a tight spot, then that's unfortunate.

It doesn't change the fact that people can get through it. It doesn't change the fact that myself and many others live life as students on a day-to-day and paycheque-to-paycheque basis. That's life as a student. You do what you need to do to get by. If that means getting another job, then you get another goddamn job.

Yeah, it's hard... I'm not arguing that, but we do what we need to do to get by.

EDIT: I'm not saying it's preferrable to have multiple jobs. Ideally we could all come to school and study and research and work and all that stuff and not need to worry about the costs. Unfortunately that's not how it works... it may not be preferrable, but multiple jobs may be the only solution for many people.

Last edited by Taunton : 11-09-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-09-2009 at 11:08 PM   #35
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:

Pwned....
Quote:
Every single person on this message board should embrace the democratic process.
I guess that doesn't apply now?
Old 11-09-2009 at 11:21 PM   #36
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

If you dont like the fact that the price of tuition is too costly, drop out. If you think the price of a product is too high, dont buy the product.

DannyV says thanks to ash0000 for this post.

lorend likes this.