MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca vs @mcmaster.ca KMoney First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2010 06:04 PM
The Curse is Upon Us: Charity Ball 2010 zaverim MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-23-2010 09:54 PM

The Curse of McMaster

Old 06-21-2011 at 04:23 PM   #16
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
Mac is homey. I like it. It's a comforting campus. Perfect balance of natural beauty and new architecture. I also don't know why people would laugh at the OP, her being a prospective iSci, for coming to Mac. This is one of the best schools to come to for science, as well as religion, philosophy, fine arts, and a lot more.
just adding to that, Mac is the only university in Canada (or one of the two, correct me if I'm wrong) with an integrated science program, so you are definitely in the right place for you!

missscarlett likes this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 04:30 PM   #17
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephfraser View Post
I had the same issue with people laughing at me for going to Mac...but it had to due with Hamilton's reputation, not the reputation of the school.
Yeah. The only thing people have criticized about Mac to me is Hamilton. As for the university, i don't know. I think it has a good reputation, and I'm enjoying it.
Old 06-21-2011 at 04:50 PM   #18
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
Mac is homey. I like it. It's a comforting campus. Perfect balance of natural beauty and new architecture. I also don't know why people would laugh at the OP, her being a prospective iSci, for coming to Mac. This is one of the best schools to come to for science, as well as religion, philosophy, fine arts, and a lot more.
We also have some of the best faculties in many subfields of mathematics - logic and topology in particular.

Old 06-21-2011 at 05:17 PM   #19
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

I'm coming to McMaster in September too and whenever people laugh or make a face it is because the university is in Hamilton, not because the school is bad. Don't worry about it. It has all the benefits of U of T (except the whole MUGSI/SOLAR thing) without the alienation. I don't know what happens to people who go to Queen's but they are brainwashed. I was SO creeped out when I visited there.

missscarlett says thanks to MirandaC for this post.
Old 06-21-2011 at 05:20 PM   #20
began

Liked: Liked 10 Times

http://www.arwu.org/Country2010Main.jsp?p aram=Canada

Old 06-21-2011 at 05:35 PM   #21
curiousabout

Liked: 1 Time

In our small town on Vancouver Island, saying you're going to McMaster gets respect. Yes, Hamilton is not considered the most quaint of towns, but the school gets huge respect for health sciences and has a reputation as a friendly school (Queens too). McGill and U of T also get respect but not as friendly places to go. Western just doesn't attract a lot of attention. But most kids here go to UBC (not friendly) or UVic (very friendly), so going to Ontario always raises eyebrows.
Old 06-21-2011 at 05:45 PM   #22
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by missscarlett View Post
Apparently every time my dad tells someone I decided to go to Mac, they burst out laughing and proceed to tell him that that's the worst decision I'll ever make.

What is up with that?? Does Mac have some horrible reputation that I haven't heard about? I mean, it's a little late for me to back out now, but I'd love to know...
It sounds like your dad talks to some real insightful winners...

Old 06-21-2011 at 06:04 PM   #23
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by missscarlett View Post
Apparently every time my dad tells someone I decided to go to Mac, they burst out laughing and proceed to tell him that that's the worst decision I'll ever make.

What is up with that?? Does Mac have some horrible reputation that I haven't heard about? I mean, it's a little late for me to back out now, but I'd love to know...
Who are these people? They kind of sound like jerks (no offense). There are very few university or college choices in Canada that I would consider "the worst decision you will ever make". Maybe these people were rejected by Mac, or went to a less "popular" school like Brock and have animosity to Mac students?
To answer your question, no, there is nothing wrong with Mac. Patrick Deane said at this years Eng grad that it's one of only four universities in Canada that is on MacLean's (or Time's?) list for the top 100 universities in the world.

missscarlett says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.
Old 06-21-2011 at 06:29 PM   #24
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Honestly, don't let people that make jokes about McMaster or laugh at you or anything like that sway your opinion of the school. You've obviously chosen Mac for a reason, so stick to your guns and don't let peoples ridicule scare you, because you really won't understand a university until you've attended it. Whether it's academics, social environment, campus life, etc., there really isn't anything wrong with McMaster. I think it's a great school in a great location, so just shake off these people's comments and don't let them bother you.

missscarlett says thanks to J. Dorey for this post.

anon491 likes this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 06:48 PM   #25
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmountain View Post
The only thing bad about this school is the technology. It's not just ancient... We haven't even invented the wheel yet.
IMO, we have the wheel, but we don't have automobiles that use it to speed things up. MUGSI and SOLAR work, but not well enough compared to modern standards.
Old 06-21-2011 at 06:58 PM   #26
stja1

Liked: 4 Times

Yeah alot of people are telling me Mac is impossible but those kids don't go to mac the kids that do go to mac say its possible and I hear good things about mac from teachers
Old 06-21-2011 at 07:50 PM   #27
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Wuck Festern
Quck Fueens
Tuck Fronto
Luck Faurier
Muck Fcgill

Old 06-21-2011 at 08:03 PM   #28
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Like some people already mentioned, the city is not great at all.

Some programs like business aren't good at mac. Science has a good reputation.
Old 06-21-2011 at 08:06 PM   #29
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post

that's not true. Hamilton has many redeeming features. I hate when people make generalizations based on what they've seen or heard of the downtown core.

Old 06-21-2011 at 08:09 PM   #30
abelon3

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post

Gfto if you don't like it. Stop hating Hamilton. :(

anon491, icecubz, kevcom like this.