MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca vs @mcmaster.ca KMoney First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2010 06:04 PM
The Curse is Upon Us: Charity Ball 2010 zaverim MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-23-2010 09:54 PM

The Curse of McMaster

Old 06-21-2011 at 08:13 PM   #31
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stja1 View Post
Yeah alot of people are telling me Mac is impossible but those kids don't go to mac the kids that do go to mac say its possible and I hear good things about mac from teachers
Err, what do you mean "Mac is impossible"?
Old 06-21-2011 at 08:27 PM   #32
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
that's not true. Hamilton has many redeeming features. I hate when people make generalizations based on what they've seen or heard of the downtown core.

I'm not saying that solely based on downtown Hamilton. I have seen of Hamilton more than most students have. Being an international student, I didn't have the chance to go back home many weekends like a lot of mac students did. Instead, I stayed in Hamilton all year round and had to find things to do there. So I got to explore the nature of the city quite a bit. That's how I find it's not a great place, at least to me. It's basically a dead place. Not much going on etc.

You need to stop generalizing people's opinion.
Old 06-21-2011 at 08:43 PM   #33
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
I'm not saying that solely based on downtown Hamilton. I have seen of Hamilton more than most students have. Being an international student, I didn't have the chance to go back home many weekends like a lot of mac students did. Instead, I stayed in Hamilton all year round and had to find things to do there. So I got to explore the nature of the city quite a bit. That's how I find it's not a great place, at least to me. It's basically a dead place. Not much going on etc.

The fact is, you didn't give any explanation and just said "the city is not great at all". You can't blame anyone for generalizing your opinion when you're being so vague with a controversial comment.

AelyaS, Dopematic like this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 08:43 PM   #34
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousabout View Post
In our small town on Vancouver Island, saying you're going to McMaster gets respect. Yes, Hamilton is not considered the most quaint of towns, but the school gets huge respect for health sciences and has a reputation as a friendly school (Queens too). McGill and U of T also get respect but not as friendly places to go. Western just doesn't attract a lot of attention. But most kids here go to UBC (not friendly) or UVic (very friendly), so going to Ontario always raises eyebrows.
Being from Winnipeg, it's the same deal. I just think that most people out west don't really go out of their provinces for school.
Old 06-21-2011 at 08:50 PM   #35
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
Wuck Festern
Quck Fueens
Tuck Fronto
Luck Faurier
Muck Fcgill
Come on...
It doesn't work as well for Queens and McGill.
Old 06-21-2011 at 08:56 PM   #36
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post

There's actually a lot to do in Hamilton compared to some other university towns.

Old 06-21-2011 at 09:18 PM   #37
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

I lived on the mountain so had some time to explore hamiltion. Its bad, ( going towards like stoney creek in the manufacturing area, I could never ever live there, not even being broke.Oh yeah i dreaded being downtown almost everyday at 11-12 pm ) but not the bad( mountain is great). People always complain there's nothing to do. Lies there are stuff but you are too lazy to find out. My friends annoyed me with this comment. Also its not about where you are but who are are with.

But as RockerSocker said, imagine being in Guelph, St. Catherines, Peterborough , Oshawa, Thunder Bay, Now look at Hamilton, back to those uni cities. Where would you want to be?
Old 06-21-2011 at 09:36 PM   #38
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

I always thought Mac was well known...however I just did a program with students from across all of Canada and whenever I said I went to McMaster...half of them said "Where's that?"...Kind of a shame especially when it is such an amazing school.
Old 06-21-2011 at 09:44 PM   #39
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
I always thought Mac was well known...however I just did a program with students from across all of Canada and whenever I said I went to McMaster...half of them said "Where's that?"...Kind of a shame especially when it is such an amazing school.
what kind of program is this?
Old 06-21-2011 at 10:20 PM   #40
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

It was "Explore"-- a French immersion program.
Old 06-21-2011 at 10:50 PM   #41
mcmcmc

Liked: 17 Times

in regards to location complaints; even though downtown hamilton itself isn't that great, mac is really close to Dundas/Ancaster/Burlington, which are all really beautiful places. There is as much to do around here as there is in most major cities, with the added bonus of places to hike/bike/kayak/etc. You just have to take the time to find everything (ask locals). We're also lucky enough to be only an hour drive from both Toronto and Niagara Falls (as well as to the USA border)

imo, the exact location of mac is one of the nicest and safest places to live.

Old 06-22-2011 at 12:09 AM   #42
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
what do you mean by that?
It means Western sucks. Even the McGill kid thinks so:

Groups: Member

I didn't know Western was good at all, all the victory lap meathead football players went there from my school.
McGill, Class of 2014

Found this on student award forum.

J. Dorey, MirandaC like this.
Old 06-22-2011 at 12:20 AM   #43
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

An average entering grade for Mac is at around 85%, this is 5th or 6th out of how many you can name universities in Ontario. Mac is behind McGill, UofT, Western (just slightly lol), and 1 or 2 others but it is well above many other universities. It is pretty well-reputated believe it or not.

Last edited by jeboi7 : 06-22-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-22-2011 at 12:33 AM   #44
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Hey OP, how about you tell your dad's jerky friends that Mac is one of 4 or 5 universities in Canada that is recognized world wide? Oh, and that list doesn't include Queens, btw

Damn, look at all this Queens hate.

I love you guys

Old 06-22-2011 at 12:35 AM   #45
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post

....who the hell doesn't know McMaster?

Like, if someone asked me three years back if i had heard of Mount Allison U, I would have looked at them strangely (its a real place, btw, somewhere in Canada, maybe built inside a salt mine, who knows)

But Mac?

I think you met some French hicks

Biochem47, Eternal Fire like this.