MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Mythbusters' accidentally shoots cannonball through California home Chad General Discussion 1 12-08-2011 09:03 PM
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Facebook Does It Again Chad MacInsiders Announcements 19 02-21-2010 04:37 PM
New Facebook Profiles On The Way Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-05-2008 09:57 PM
New Facebook Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-23-2007 03:40 PM

Dad Shoots Daughter’s Laptop Over Facebook Post

Old 02-09-2012 at 10:31 PM   #1
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

Dad Shoots Daughter’s Laptop Over Facebook Post
She is only 15 leave her alone . I don't know why the whole internet is going with the parents here . what if that girl was just frustrated and now this man is making it worse

Old 02-09-2012 at 10:50 PM   #2
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

now THIS was a prime example of a first world problem. she thinks this is hard work, but what she doesn't realize is that this is her own house in which she has a responsibility. She's 15 years old, yeah she's still legally a minor but she should still not be taking this stuff for granted. she should understand who pays for her clothes, her phone, her ipod, and at least have so goddamn appreciation and respect for those who provide for her.

ArfuzeToLose, lt93 like this.
Old 02-09-2012 at 10:54 PM   #3
sam_akbari

Liked: 23 Times

Damn~! The Chuck Norris of Parents

aznsensation, lt93 like this.
Old 02-09-2012 at 10:55 PM   #4
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpatel View Post
now THIS was a prime example of a first world problem. she thinks this is hard work, but what she doesn't realize is that this is her own house in which she has a responsibility. She's 15 years old, yeah she's still legally a minor but she should still not be taking this stuff for granted. she should understand who pays for her clothes, her phone, her ipod, and at least have so goddamn appreciation and respect for those who provide for her.
I agree but does she deserve her dad making a video about it and making it viral with all of the internet bashing her ..
Old 02-09-2012 at 11:03 PM   #5
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

One word: spanking. (I'm joking if it isn't apparent)

I think it was fine, the only reality is that her father will probably still pay for the next laptop but what do I know. I don't really care since she's just another teenage girl and her father didn't do anything violent. He seemed pretty angry.

Last edited by Afzal : 02-09-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2012 at 11:04 PM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Already seen it. I personally think she deserved to be taught a lesson but perhaps the method the dad employed was inappropriate for the cause.
Old 02-10-2012 at 12:03 AM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

That was a little harsh I think. All that she really did was display typical teenage angst, which is exactly what one should expect from a 15 year old girl.

I was actually rather surprised that she wrote a full coherent paragraph without any omgs.
Old 02-10-2012 at 01:20 AM   #8
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

I'm glad I was raised in the 90's. Most kids these day's don't appreciate or have respect for anything. They don't know how fortunate they are.

sam_akbari says thanks to Infinity for this post.

Old 02-10-2012 at 01:29 AM   #9
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
I'm glad I was raised in the 90's. Most kids these day's don't appreciate or have respect for anything. They don't know how fortunate they are.
totally and utterly agree. A lot of the kids nowadays don't know how damn LUCKY they are to have what they have, they take too much for granted. Yes, you live in the house so you gotta earn your living there, it is your HOUSE, you gotta show your appreciation for your parents and everything they're doing for you.

but by no means am I condone the actions of the father, I still think they were a tad over-the-top

/rant
Old 02-10-2012 at 02:40 AM   #10
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpatel View Post
Yes, you live in the house so you gotta earn your living there, it is your HOUSE, you gotta show your appreciation for your parents and everything they're doing for you.
Absolutely not. No parent (or adult for that matter) is automatically deserving of undying respect, nor are they ever exempt from questioning. That attitude prohibits checks and balances on parents who abuse their authority in the household; surely you aren't suggesting that every parent in this world is a good one. If you want a reliable method of gauging how much respect a parent deserves, base it on their performance.

Now, in regards to the video, I can't entirely agree with either party here. The father was firm and uncompromising in his disciplinary method, which I can respect, yet he comes off as the unshakable, dogmatic, absolutist prick who uses the "because I said so" line all too often. The daughter should have been a bit more appreciative, but blowing off steam is both healthy and natural (although I'm not sure that Facebook was the most appropriate place to do so).

I'll sum it all up in one video:

Biochem47, _Luu_ all say thanks to Grover for this post.

Old 02-10-2012 at 06:04 AM   #11
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Holy crap, I haven't seen one of these videos in a while.
Old 02-10-2012 at 06:39 AM   #12
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

I don't think what he did as punishment is right at all. I can understand why the father may be mad but putting a video on youtube with nothing really important to say except that his daughter is wrong is way out of line in my opinion. Does he really think his daughter is going to respect him after this?

Also, the shooting of the laptop was very very stupid. Why not just give it away? Instead he wastes a perfectly good laptop to "prove" his anger.

Afzal likes this.
Old 02-10-2012 at 08:57 AM   #13
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

well imo the girl sounds really ungrateful for the stuff she has. snooty high strung and totally disrespectful. if what the father says is right, she doesnt even have to do all that much, all in all its only a fraction of what i did when i was her age. yet she still goes behind her parents, the ones who are taking care of her, feeding her, buying her all her things, and the actual ones working their asses off (i would like to think) and she posts some total bs on fb.

so i think the father was in the clear for doing this and i give him props. at the very least by posting that on he fb ppl will see what she really is like. and hopefully her friends, who are probably like her, will learn a lesson too.

i only hope that this is as far as the dad goes and that he isnt the abusive kind. sure she deserves to be grounded, and her laptop getting shot was well played, but being beaten on would not be cool.

drpatel, jim1 like this.
Old 02-10-2012 at 09:07 AM   #14
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
lol, I like how you're acting like the 90s were some sort of different hard times. The only difference is there wasn't as much internet (which didn't matter because we were all little and rarely had to do research) and all the iPhones and shit where just game boys and playstations. Most kids were back then were just as respectful as the kids now - they just didn't have a facebook to post it on.

I'm sure the 80s kids say the exact same thing about us.

Old 02-10-2012 at 09:28 AM   #15
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

What a smart kid...

"My dads in IT, but he won't be able to read my post! I blocked him!"

Meanwhile she hands over her computer to upgrade software...