MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Mythbusters' accidentally shoots cannonball through California home Chad General Discussion 1 12-08-2011 09:03 PM
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Facebook Does It Again Chad MacInsiders Announcements 19 02-21-2010 04:37 PM
New Facebook Profiles On The Way Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-05-2008 09:57 PM
New Facebook Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-23-2007 03:40 PM

Dad Shoots Daughter’s Laptop Over Facebook Post

Old 02-10-2012 at 09:39 AM   #16
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintos View Post
What a smart kid...

"My dads in IT, but he won't be able to read my post! I blocked him!"

Meanwhile she hands over her computer to upgrade software...
It turns out that her dad being in IT had nothing to do with her getting caught. From the guy's FB:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jordan
HOW SHE GOT CAUGHT: The Dog Did It.. no, really.

I finally came out and told her this today, partly because it was too funny NOT to share.

When my daughter made her post, she used Facebook's privacy settings to block "Family" and "Church" friend's lists. All her other friends could see it. We, of course could not.

One of our dogs is always getting in photos and therefore has her own Facebook page. It's just a cute dumb thing we did for fun. Well, the dog's profile is rarely used except when funny pictures of her are posted. Since that's not too often, and she has very few friends on Facebook, her wall is kind of bare, with relatively few posts showing up on it.

The other night we gave the dog a bath and there was a funny photo we uploaded to Facebook and tagged her in. I logged in as the dog the next morning to comment on the photo. However when I logged into the dog's profile, my daughter had forgotten to add her to the "family" list.... so our family dog's profile showed her post right there on the front page.

It wasn't any parent-hacking, computer spying, or monitoring of any kind.. the dog actually ratted her out completely by accident. She hasn't petted that dog all day today...
http://www.facebook.com/tommyjordani...50522719970846

Based on the status updates on his profile, the whole situation seems to have turned out pretty well. She's accepted her fate and even shared a few laughs with her dad about it.

I guess it's possible that the dad's just posting that stuff because of all the media attention he's getting and that it's in his best interest to let people know she's not locked in the cellar or something though.

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 02-10-2012 at 09:45 AM   #17
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

I wonder what her dad is going to shoot if she starts smoking cigarettes?

anyways, I remember doing some pretty dumb things not so long ago when I was fifteen, I thought the response was a little too harsh, but still deserved.

I would get a job if I was her, if she has to do all that stuff anyways she might as well get paid. (and maybe parents can take it easy on the chores with a working child)
Old 02-10-2012 at 10:32 AM   #18
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

Why is this news?

Silver likes this.
Old 02-10-2012 at 10:39 AM   #19
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Absolutely not. No parent (or adult for that matter) is automatically deserving of undying respect, nor are they ever exempt from questioning. That attitude prohibits checks and balances on parents who abuse their authority in the household; surely you aren't suggesting that every parent in this world is a good one. If you want a reliable method of gauging how much respect a parent deserves, base it on their performance.

Now, in regards to the video, I can't entirely agree with either party here. The father was firm and uncompromising in his disciplinary method, which I can respect, yet he comes off as the unshakable, dogmatic, absolutist prick who uses the "because I said so" line all too often. The daughter should have been a bit more appreciative, but blowing off steam is both healthy and natural (although I'm not sure that Facebook was the most appropriate place to do so).

I'll sum it all up in one video:

Fine i agree that I was a little harsh on the girl, but still she needs to learn to be grateful-where does she think all her stuff comes from (laptop, phone, ipod etc). that thing where she said "treating me like a slave" just ticked me off-it's your house as much as it is your parents' house so she needs to still learn not to take things for granted and to contribute to the household. That being said, I'm sure that if she went and properly talked to her dad, requested a little easing of chores I'd think he's be ok with it.

As for the father...shooting the laptop that you just upgraded was NOT the right thing to do-I'm sure someone else would be happy for the laptop (or at least confiscate it and return it to her after a set amount of time).
thoughs?
Old 02-10-2012 at 10:46 AM   #20
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

She shouldn't have posted that on FB.

But what kind of parent makes a video like this instead of actually talking to his kid, then shoots a perfectly good laptop, and uploads it all onto Youtube? It's just weird in my opinion.. His reaction is no more mature than her actions.

Is this for real, or is it some kind of viral video for something? I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around why a grown man would do this.

Besides teaching her "Solve your problems with guns and violence" and "If you disagree with someone, instead of talking to them, berate them and publicly humiliate them (which is exactly what I'm mad about you doing)", it's really going to mess up their relationship (like Ownaginatios said below). He is simply telling the world "I am more immature than a 15 year old girl, listen to me complain about her". Imagine when she's trying to get a job when she's 30 and her employer Googles her name and this comes up. This is ridiculous. I can't believe it's real.

Last edited by Kathy2 : 02-10-2012 at 11:09 AM.

SC04 likes this.
Old 02-10-2012 at 10:47 AM   #21
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

The daughter is brat because her parents likely did a shit job raising her. Her dad thinks intimidation and humiliation is the best way to handle it (which it's not), and has pretty much just ruined his relationship with his daughter.

Biochem47, Silver like this.
Old 02-10-2012 at 11:08 AM   #22
tyrant
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
The daughter is brat because her parents likely did a shit job raising her. Her dad thinks intimidation and humiliation is the best way to handle it (which it's not), and has pretty much just ruined his relationship with his daughter.
yeah he really is going to have to wipe his own butt when he gets really old.

DMe3, Marooner like this.
Old 02-10-2012 at 11:47 AM   #23
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

The use of a firearm and all the 'and this is from your mother' stuff, really creeped me out.
Old 02-10-2012 at 12:37 PM   #24
Circa

Liked: 160 Times

Everything he said is true and getting rid of the computer is great but to make this video and post in online is horrible parenting. I know she posted about her parents on facebook so on one hand the punishment should fit the crime but the parents should know better. Now this video is viral and in her community she's going to be "that girl who wrote the letter"

Marooner likes this.
Old 02-10-2012 at 01:18 PM   #25
alexithymia
I smell chips.

Liked: 47 Times

Poor laptop...I hope he at least took out the battery to make some of that $130 back.

Joking aside, the girl was dumb to put it on fb and shooting the laptop was over the top. People should learn to communicate with, ya know, actual conversation. >.>

Biochem47 likes this.
Old 02-10-2012 at 01:29 PM   #26
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

Such a marvellous example at parenting.

smh
Old 02-10-2012 at 02:39 PM   #27
Galleria

Liked: 10 Times

What this guy has to understand is that some of her behaviour is caused as a result of his parenting. For instance, no matter how angry I am at my parents, I would never ever think of talking like that or posting such a message on facebook. Why? Because my parents brought me up right. Not tough love but real love where they taught me what was right and wrong in a kind, patient way.

He has to realize that his parenting correlates with his daughter's behaviour. Otherwise he is not taking responsibility for his actions. Nonetheless I feel incredibly sorry for his daughter. If it was me, my relationship with my Dad would be permanently scarred and I would never trust him again.

People have to realize that parenting is a huge responsibility and how well you cary out that responsibility is reflected in the way your children behave. That's why they are children and not adults.

Old 02-10-2012 at 03:17 PM   #28
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

hormonal teen girls, angry southern fathers, guns, laptops, and cigarettes just don't mix. -_-

Snowman likes this.
Old 02-10-2012 at 03:21 PM   #29
BlakeM
Elite Member

Far too much over-reacting up in here. Taking away a laptop, or shooting it, the end result is the same.
Old 02-10-2012 at 03:35 PM  
MasterFett
Account Locked

Liked: 31 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Biochem47, Galleria like this.