MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Mythbusters' accidentally shoots cannonball through California home Chad General Discussion 1 12-08-2011 09:03 PM
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Facebook Does It Again Chad MacInsiders Announcements 19 02-21-2010 04:37 PM
New Facebook Profiles On The Way Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-05-2008 09:57 PM
New Facebook Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-23-2007 03:40 PM

Dad Shoots Daughter’s Laptop Over Facebook Post

Old 02-10-2012 at 03:38 PM   #31
Maitland

Liked: 34 Times

Life was just easier when I was 15 I guess... no laptop, no cell phone, no facebook (for me anyways)... Things have changed a lot in the last 6 years.

Faer, icecubz, _Luu_ like this.
Old 02-10-2012 at 04:58 PM   #32
DMe3

Liked: 26 Times

Lol that was crazy. Honestly, I think its good that the parents are trying to keep kids grounded. The shooting thing was kinda extra though lmao
Old 02-10-2012 at 05:30 PM   #33
Shanel

Liked: 150 Times

If you read the responses he gave to some questions he didn't even buy that laptop. His daughter bought it with her own money. He didn't want to donate it because that would be stealing, but shooting it is apparently okay? If the daughter is being bratty and disrespectful methinks the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

AlienSummer likes this.
Old 02-10-2012 at 05:48 PM   #34
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

I agree for the fact that she shouldn't take for granted what her parents are doing to her and she should show more respect for her parents because they work hard for her but this is just quite harsh.

My parents are strict about everything but i've learned to live through it because i know they love me and they want to have what's best for. They never ground me but when i do something bad to them, they take away some of my privileges.

DMe3 likes this.
Old 02-10-2012 at 06:30 PM   #35
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

contrary to many of your views on the severity of how the father reacted, i think it was justified. like many of you said, modernity may be a big factor in the way* kids are acting. with technology at their fingertips and social media as a new way to interact, its no surprise* to me that parenting itself would evolve. how can you treat the new ways children misbehave with the old methods of parenting. i think its clever that he chose to teach her a lesson by using a similar medium she used to voice her silly opinion

edit: i hate how my macbook auto corrects words

Last edited by AlexBatt : 02-11-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: typo

Old 02-10-2012 at 09:59 PM   #36
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

While I can respect the family's principles to raise appreciative and hard working children, and I can understand that they want to adhere to a traditional sense of family, the gun thing was unnecessary. Violence is a disease, and needless displays of authority through the use of firearms propagates an unhealthy mindset among our youth that guns should be an acceptable part of our culture. I understand this is in the States and I'm not challenging anybody's First Amendment rights. But using guns for trivial purposes sends the wrong message. I'm not going to argue "Well, the children watching that video might be offended". Guns and violent displays should not be considered acceptable solutions to problems that can be resolved with communication and effort, whether its on Youtube or not.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Biochem47, DMe3, RyanC like this.
Old 02-10-2012 at 10:12 PM   #37
catherined93
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

gah..... the computer shooting part is a bit excessive :/
Old 02-10-2012 at 11:38 PM   #38
DMe3

Liked: 26 Times

so apparently, from reading an excessively long post on his wall (thank you procrastination) he did the whole shooting thing because he wanted his daughter to remember what happened. He had grounded her before but she seemed to not have remembered what she did wrong , so I don't think she's gonna forget this in a hurry

jim1, sarahsullz like this.
Old 02-11-2012 at 09:49 AM   #39
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
While I can respect the family's principles to raise appreciative and hard working children, and I can understand that they want to adhere to a traditional sense of family, the gun thing was unnecessary. Violence is a disease, and needless displays of authority through the use of firearms propagates an unhealthy mindset among our youth that guns should be an acceptable part of our culture. I understand this is in the States and I'm not challenging anybody's First Amendment rights. But using guns for trivial purposes sends the wrong message. I'm not going to argue "Well, the children watching that video might be offended". Guns and violent displays should not be considered acceptable solutions to problems that can be resolved with communication and effort, whether its on Youtube or not.
Gun displays and violence are different.

It's gun display here and not violence, it was done pretty much properly without any harm to anyone or anything besides the laptop.

Amaryll, jim1 like this.
Old 02-11-2012 at 01:42 PM   #40
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Gun displays and violence are different.

It's gun display here and not violence, it was done pretty much properly without any harm to anyone or anything besides the laptop.
I disagree. Him toting a gun and talking about how much he would "like to shoot that laptop" would be a gun display. Him getting incredibly angry firing 6 - 8 rounds into a laptop unnecessarily is violent.

If he was shooting laptops for amusement, that's different. He was really enraged. It was violent.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 02-11-2012 at 01:53 PM   #41
person33

Liked: 53 Times

nobody really knows what really goes on in anybody's house 24/7- this guy could be an authoritarian prick the other 23 hours a day 364 days a year that people watching on the internet dont see- but she should just blindly follow and respect him because he buys her nice things- i agree that kids need to respect parents most of the time but parents also need to some degree earn the respect of their kids as well- not that we should be passing judgement on anyone based on a youtube video and facebook posts- by that standard we would be saying that anyone who posts pics of themselves partying or drinking or other questionable things has bad morals- what if something had gone wrong with the gun and he had shot her instead? any situation in which guns are used trivially is one where there could be a tragedy
Old 02-11-2012 at 01:58 PM   #42
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

People get brutally murdered every day, no need to make a big deal about this. Small potatoes... little issues...
Old 02-11-2012 at 03:14 PM   #43
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post

I'm sure the 80s kids say the exact same thing about us.
It's true, we do.
Old 02-11-2012 at 03:32 PM   #44
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by person33 View Post
any situation in which guns are used trivially is one where there could be a tragedy
Well said. Guns are not toys - and it was definitely treated as a toy in this video.
Old 02-11-2012 at 05:56 PM   #45
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
I'm glad I was raised in the 90's. Most kids these day's don't appreciate or have respect for anything. They don't know how fortunate they are.
I was 15 going on 16 in 2007-2008 the same age as this girl and the iphone and ipod touch , ps3 , xbox 360 and wii was poppin. damn did we become this "old" in just 3 years saying "They don't know how fortunate they are" all they got was netflix