MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Since its been 3 weekish since school started Yakattack General Discussion 9 09-25-2010 07:02 PM
Are we supposed to have started Engineer 1A00? Jayson193 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 09-12-2010 09:39 PM
First year, started my readings and freaking out!? lizziemcg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 09-14-2009 12:04 AM

DC++: Getting Started

Old 08-31-2010 at 02:13 AM   #1
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

DC++: Getting Started
Hi all,

For those that are coming to residence this next year, I'd like to personally invite you to our DC++ filesharing network, MacHub!

What is DC++

DC++ is a filesharing application that connects to a central hub of other DC++ users that host and distribute files of their choice. Many campus residence networks have some sort of DC++ structure set up.

Why use DC++ rather than Limewire/Torrents/Usenet?

If you use these other programs a lot and download lots of content, you will shortly learn that every student has a daily bandwidth cap, which limits how much you can download every day! DC++ doesn't affect your bandwidth because it is local traffic rather than actual internet usage. Think of it like borrowing a DVD from your friend next door, rather than going down to Blockbuster and paying to grab it, go back home, and play it!

Once you are all set up, DC++ is convenient and easy to use! Let's not forget that the download speeds are PHENOMENAL (up to 10 actual megabits per second!)

How do I get started?

Start by installing ApexDC++ on your computer. After you've installed this program, run it for the first time and connect to our hub address at machub.org

For a basic set of instructions on how to use and set up ApexDC++, there is a PDF guide here!

I will update this post with a how-to for first time users soon, unless someone would like to throw something on this thread to help our first-timers with (I'm a bit occupied)!

Need more help?

Once you're on MacHub, we have many users that will be willing to help you out, simply chat in the main window!
Old 08-31-2010 at 01:17 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

If you have a Mac, you'll have to use ShakesPeer instead of ApexDC++ (unless they've changed it so that it works on Macs as well).
Old 08-31-2010 at 01:19 PM   #3
sjager

I think they're working on porting ApexDC onto Macs (which would be great, a lot of people dislike ShakesPeer), but you're correct, ShakesPeer is the client for Macs.

Here is the link to ShakesPeer

Last edited by sjager : 08-31-2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Adding link

donner918 says thanks to sjager for this post.
Old 08-31-2010 at 01:32 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Hmm. 2 years ago, i think Mac somehow screwed up, because I didnt have a cap.

I pulled 20 gigs a day sometimes, lool. (gotta love that 3mB/s speed)
Old 08-31-2010 at 01:36 PM   #5
sjager

Could be possible? I never noticed one either.

Universities should love DC++ because it reduces the load on their internet lines and saves them tons of bandwidth. Queen's and Western "unofficially" supports the hub for this very reason.
Old 08-31-2010 at 01:37 PM   #6
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

wait so you get pretty much the same files and stuff as if you were using limewire or torrents? tv shows, movies ?
Old 08-31-2010 at 01:41 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.p92 View Post
wait so you get pretty much the same files and stuff as if you were using limewire or torrents? tv shows, movies ?
And old notes, tests, songs, etc. There's tons of stuff on there--whatever everyone else puts on there
Old 08-31-2010 at 01:47 PM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.p92 View Post
you get what people share.

if someone isnt sharing it, your not getting it.
Old 08-31-2010 at 01:50 PM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

cant wait to start downlaoding
Old 08-31-2010 at 02:59 PM   #10
sjager

There's usually a few dedicated DC'ers that will post all the new TV shows, movies, etc. as they are posted on the internet

We might start looking into a seedbox somewhere on campus, but that relies on someone who has their own cable internet on campus. (hint hint!)
Old 08-31-2010 at 03:18 PM   #11
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post
There's usually a few dedicated DC'ers that will post all the new TV shows, movies, etc. as they are posted on the internet

We might start looking into a seedbox somewhere on campus, but that relies on someone who has their own cable internet on campus. (hint hint!)
Old 08-31-2010 at 03:44 PM   #12
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Either can I. So peple have mentioned you can use DC++ in residence. What about using it in the library for those non-rez kids?
Old 08-31-2010 at 03:51 PM   #13
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

You can use it off-campus but the speeds vary. Sometimes I could get incredible speeds while other times I could barely dl a pdf file lol. This was from my house btw a good 10 min. drive away.

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 08-31-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2010 at 03:53 PM   #14
sjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
Either can I. So peple have mentioned you can use DC++ in residence. What about using it in the library for those non-rez kids?
Hi MacPack,

DC++ uses a series of "direct connections," meaning that certain ports to the host computers of the files you want must be left unblocked from Mac's RezNet firewalls.

This means that while you can connect to MacHub (since it's on a public internet server), you can't download files on networks outside of McMaster's RezNet.

We have three categories of people using DC++:

1. Off Campus Users: They can download from other off campus users but can't download from Res users. They can easily connect to MacHub.

2. Res Users: They have full access to MacHub, and can download from both Res and Off Campus users, as long as their ports are forwarded properly.

3. MacConnect Users: They're completely firewalled, meaning they can't share or download anything while on MacConnect. Sorry guys, the only way I could achieve these kind of downloads is through a VPN, and that's mundane considering VPNs are typically slower than Torrents and/or Limewire.
Old 08-31-2010 at 04:02 PM   #15
blackdragon
Elite Member

Offcampus your better off using DDL.

In res dc++ is fast cause it uses LAN speeds, which is blazing fast. Make sure you dont ruin your HDD