MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Dub Step? huzaifa47 Music 37 03-01-2011 03:06 PM
Support Dean Bates sniderj General Discussion 21 04-20-2010 09:34 AM
Hamilton One Step Closer To Having an NHL Team marauderlove MacInsiders Announcements 41 09-08-2009 11:35 PM
Bates '09 Chad Bates Forum 58 09-06-2009 12:14 PM
Bates '08 Chad Bates Forum 29 08-22-2008 11:38 AM

Dean Bates to Step Down As Dean

A new chapter in the Dean Bates story has unraveled today in a news article reported by the Daily News, it was reported that Dean Paul Bates of the Degroote School of Business will be stepping down "as soon as an interim dean can be named". This comes with a lot of speculation and controversy following Dean Bates being under fire from certain tenured faculty earlier this year.

A report was released (see attached).

Story via the Daily News:

A report recommending significant changes at the DeGroote School of Business has been received by Patrick Deane, President and Vice-chancellor of McMaster University. The President's Advisory Committee on the DeGroote School of Business was established last spring to determine the sources of the dysfunction in the school, to advise on the school's management and to recommend actions to establish a productive and collegial work environment at the business school.

Out of his desire to facilitate a resolution of difficulties within the school, Dean Paul Bates intends to move from his present position as soon as an interim dean can be named. Mr. Bates will then assume a role focused on strategy and development at the Ron Joyce Centre in Burlington.

"I have indicated my support of the report's direction and the nature of the specific proposals," said Deane. "We have distributed the report widely today, and I look forward to the opportunity for open discussion of the report and its recommendations in the new year. I encourage all members of the business school and our University community to be actively engaged in this conversation."

He added that written comment on the report is invited and should be directed to the Office of the President, Gilmour Hall, or to [email protected].

The report (see attached) details certain problems that the President's Advisory Committee found with regards to Dean Bates and his performance. See below for some highlights:

Leadership of the school
  • "Our conversations revealed a consensus that the Dean’s vision for the School had not been widely accepted"
  • "The evidence from our survey was overwhelming – even a significant number of those aligned with or not opposed to him felt that he could no longer lead effectively. Relatively few faculty
    members could envision a future for the School with him at the helm."
  • "It is important to note that the Dean did have very substantial support from students and
    from the external community, including business leaders."
  • "We therefore recommended to the President that the current Dean be replaced by an interim Dean for a transitional period."
QUESTION: Do you agree or disagree with the report about Dean Bates?

DannyV says thanks to Chad for this post.
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Attached Images
File Type: pdf PACDSB (Dec 15 2010).pdf (384.1 KB, 24 views)
Deleted Post
Old 12-16-2010 at 10:18 PM   #2
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times
It sucks he has to leave because so many people love this guy, except those academics or researchers...whateve r they call themselves.

Old 12-16-2010 at 10:20 PM   #3
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times
I wouldn't call this shocking, we've been hearing reports about people complaining about him for a while now...apparently they were true.

Old 12-16-2010 at 11:20 PM   #4
AlchemistX

Liked: 11 Times
All the profs b****in and complaining are just pissed with the whole MBA building in burlington move. I would really like to see what they would have done if someone gave them a truck load of money to put up a building with their name on it in less than a year. He is an awesome guy, sad to see him go out like this.

Old 12-18-2010 at 11:03 PM   #5
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times
I agree.. he is such a great Dean.. made DeGroote what it is today, gave it a name in the business world.. and now he just has to leave because everyone else is just jealous of his accomplishments!

Old 12-18-2010
Bhaltair
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-18-2010 at 11:08 PM   #6
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times
creepy much?

Last edited by Marlowe : 12-19-2010 at 12:49 AM.

Old 12-18-2010 at 11:24 PM   #7
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times
wtf........... :|

Old 12-18-2010 at 11:29 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
He's in elect eng, leave him alone.

CrashPlague, Rakim like this.

Old 12-18-2010 at 11:33 PM   #9
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times
lol I sense another argument is about to get started here

Old 12-18-2010 at 11:55 PM   #10
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Liked: 33 Times
cough..... >_>

Last edited by Marlowe : 12-19-2010 at 12:49 AM.

Old 12-18-2010
Bhaltair
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-19-2010 at 12:19 AM   #11
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times
Lol. My favourite part of all this is that she acts and trying to play it off like she's creeped out but in reality, she probably smiled when she read that.

Last edited by Marlowe : 12-19-2010 at 12:50 AM.

Old 12-19-2010 at 12:33 AM   #12
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
I agree.. he is such a great Dean.. made DeGroote what it is today, gave it a name in the business world.. and now he just has to leave because everyone else is just jealous of his accomplishments!
DeGroote, having significance... LOL.

Old 12-19-2010 at 12:48 AM   #13
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times
Hey eullwm, do you happen to like designing synchronous sequential circuits with JK, T and D flip flops?

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search