MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Declaring Honors aculic Academics 0 12-11-2010 01:06 PM
Dean's List in 2nd year Business All Business Academics 0 08-23-2010 09:02 PM
Dean's List kathyt.25 Academics 6 05-31-2010 02:08 PM
Dean's List manu Academics 28 01-16-2010 11:26 PM
Dean's and Provost's Honour Lists feonateresa General Discussion 20 11-19-2009 05:49 AM

Dean's Honors List - Transcript notation?

Old 02-26-2011 at 09:05 PM   #1
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Dean's Honors List - Transcript notation?
Would anyone happen to know if DHL standing appears as a transcript notation?
Old 02-26-2011 at 09:10 PM   #2
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I believe so...your cumulative and sessional averages are printed after each evaluation period.

SciMania says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 02-26-2011 at 09:16 PM   #3
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

Might be off topic, but does Dean's Honour List has certificate or some sort that we can collect if we get it?
Old 02-26-2011 at 09:20 PM   #4
SciMania
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefung View Post
Might be off topic, but does Dean's Honour List has certificate or some sort that we can collect if we get it?
Yup. Depends on your faculty, but science is extremely behind on issuing these. You should get an email about it though. Last year I got an email some time in the summer, I believe.

Edit: for engineering i think they actually have some sort of ceremony. but don't quote me on this.
Old 02-26-2011 at 09:27 PM   #5
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
Yup. Depends on your faculty, but science is extremely behind on issuing these. You should get an email about it though. Last year I got an email some time in the summer, I believe.

Edit: for engineering i think they actually have some sort of ceremony. but don't quote me on this.
That's strange then. Because I got it in my first year (I'm now third year), and I never receive any email regarding this matter, nor any instruction or notification of getting the cert. It just appear on grade report transcript.
Old 02-26-2011 at 09:34 PM   #6
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

What's the average to be on the Dean's Honour List?
Old 02-26-2011 at 09:48 PM   #7
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
What's the average to be on the Dean's Honour List?
9.5+ on McMaster's 12-pt system

Biochem47 says thanks to JEFF_CHAN for this post.
Old 02-26-2011 at 09:50 PM   #8
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Do you have to be taking a certain number of courses? (ie. 4 or 5?)
Old 02-26-2011 at 09:55 PM   #9
SciMania
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
Do you have to be taking a certain number of courses? (ie. 4 or 5?)
at least 30 units, so that makes approx 5 courses a term (depending on weighting e.g. 3 or 4 units etc.). not sure if summer courses count in this 30 unit minimum though..

Biochem47 says thanks to SciMania for this post.
Old 02-26-2011 at 09:55 PM   #10
BeAll_EndAll

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefung View Post
That's strange then. Because I got it in my first year (I'm now third year), and I never receive any email regarding this matter, nor any instruction or notification of getting the cert. It just appear on grade report transcript.

Strange.. I got it last year in first year, and this year I got some stupid ceremony to go to which they give you the award.

They contacted me over email in about Novemeber of the following academic year (email from engawards or something)
Old 02-27-2011 at 12:49 AM   #11
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
at least 30 units, so that makes approx 5 courses a term (depending on weighting e.g. 3 or 4 units etc.). not sure if summer courses count in this 30 unit minimum though..
Yeah it does.
Old 02-27-2011 at 04:38 PM   #12
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
They do, and in fact they even "roll over." In my fourth year I had only taken 9 courses, but I got on Dean's Honour because I took 4 summer courses after my first year so I was "ahead" of the number I should have had by that point.

Something else that might interest participants in this thread, is you must not have any failed courses to get on Dean's Honour List. I'm not sure if this means for the current year, or ever.

In particular, if by the time you graduate you have no failures and a 10 CA, you "graduate with distinction." I'm pretty sure your diploma receives a nifty "Summa Cum Laude" notation for this.

Here's a picture of my diploma if anyone's wondering what they look like and so forth. The Summa Cum Laude is really small, but it's immediately above the signatures near the bottom:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.n et/hph...60243 7_n.jpg

justinsftw likes this.