MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deans Honour List Ohmz Academics 1 06-02-2010 12:03 PM
Provost Honour Roll Guest253 Academics 2 01-06-2010 10:49 AM
Dean's and Provost's Honour Lists feonateresa General Discussion 20 11-19-2009 05:49 AM
Golden Key International Honour Society feonateresa Financial Aid 66 09-03-2009 09:06 AM
Honour M Awards Chad MacInsiders Announcements 3 03-27-2009 09:04 PM

Deans' Honour List

Members have rated post #50769 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 05-30-2009 at 07:36 AM   #31
chugaucon

Liked: 11 Times

The "Deans Honour List" notation should be on your final grade by now. Did you calculate your sessional average using your last 30 units? I'm not exactly sure what this means if you have a 27 units year (do they take a random course from last year)?

On another note, I know that you're considered for some awards automatically, but does it appear on MUGSI under awards and scholarships as "being considered" and when would we find out if we got anything?
Old 05-30-2009 at 08:58 AM   #32
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

You need at least 30 units to be considered for Deans list.

Goce says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 05-30-2009 at 09:17 AM   #33
scothoward

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
You need at least 30 units to be considered for Deans list.
Does this mean you need a 9.5 average based on your 30 best units? Or does this mean, you must have a minimum 30 units to be considered and your sessional average in totality must be at least 9.5?
Old 05-30-2009 at 09:23 AM   #34
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scothoward View Post
Does this mean you need a 9.5 average based on your 30 best units? Or does this mean, you must have a minimum 30 units to be considered and your sessional average in totality must be at least 9.5?
If you take more than 30 units, your average on ALL (not just the best 30) of the units needs to be at least 9.5.
Old 05-30-2009 at 09:32 AM   #35
Diane16

Liked: 0 Times

My average is 9.7 but I only took 27 units, however I’m currently in summer school. Will they review my marks after summer school to determine if I achieved a 9.5 or do I have to wait until next year??
Old 05-30-2009 at 09:47 AM   #36
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane16 View Post
My average is 9.7 but I only took 27 units, however I’m currently in summer school. Will they review my marks after summer school to determine if I achieved a 9.5 or do I have to wait until next year??
Summer School marks won't be used to re-evaluate you for Deans list. You're going to have to wait until next year. :(
Old 05-30-2009 at 10:48 AM   #37
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Stupid McMaster.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-30-2009 at 12:32 PM   #38
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

If however, you have excess units in a previous year, they will be used to bump you up to the 30 units.

In my 2nd year I only took 27 units (but I took 48 in my first year + summer school), and I still got on the list.

Goce says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 05-30-2009 at 12:36 PM   #39
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Thanks Greg. I have to say I am a bit disappointed but it could be worse. While I understand that the rules are in place for a reason, sometimes they just don't make much sense. For example, if I were to have had a 1 (50-52) I would now be on the Deans' List. I don't want to bother you with more questions, but who could I possibly talk to about this?
Old 05-30-2009 at 12:39 PM   #40
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
Thanks Greg. I have to say I am a bit disappointed but it could be worse. While I understand that the rules are in place for a reason, sometimes they just don't make much sense. For example, if I were to have had a 1 (50-52) I would now be on the Deans' List. I don't want to bother you with more questions, but who could I possibly talk to about this?
Don't worry, the questions aren't a bother! Feel free to ask me more!

If you want to discuss this matter with someone, I would suggest contacting your academic advisor.

I do agree though that some rules are rather silly.

Old 05-30-2009 at 12:41 PM   #41
Goce
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
If however, you have excess units in a previous year, they will be used to bump you up to the 30 units.

In my 2nd year I only took 27 units (but I took 48 in my first year + summer school), and I still got on the list.

Hmm, that's interesting. Does it work the other way around also?
Old 05-30-2009 at 12:52 PM   #42
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
Hmm, that's interesting. Does it work the other way around also?

Deans' Honour List

Each year outstanding students with a minimum average of 9.5 on at least 30 units (usually their Sessional Average) are named to the Deans' Honour List. Students will be assessed at the reviewing period (either after the Fall/Winter or summer session) when a minimum of 30 units has been completed since the previous Deans' Honour List review. At each review the assessment will be based on all units completed since the previous Deans' Honour List review.

It doesn't look like it's backwards compatible based on the statement that I bolded because they don't re-review you for the past year. :(

Old 05-30-2009 at 02:59 PM   #43
doll

Liked: 0 Times

hi,

I just waned to ask if there will be any ceremony this year for the engineering faculty .If so where can I mail and confirm it?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2009 at 03:21 PM   #44
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I don't think engineering holds these ceremonies because the faculty is quite large.

Goce: It seems unfair that you only need a 1 in one additional course to get on the Dean's Honour List, but keep in mind that taking this course in addition to your other 4 in one semester will have affected your grades in those courses in some way or another. Either you wouldn't have done as well, or you would have nonetheless, but you would have been more stressed out, etc.

It doesn't actually translate into getting a 1 in a different course, as it may seem. (Though I'm sure you could have handled it, I'm not claiming otherwise)
Old 05-30-2009 at 05:27 PM   #45
Goce
Elite Member

Mowicz: You make a good point. It would have definitely affected me. However, it would have been horribly unacademic of me to just get by in one course without putting much effort in it. That said, I will talk with an advisor and see what I can do about the situation.

Thank you all for being so very helpful!